Splitting check amongst multiple credit cards?

blinkangel44

Mouseketeer
So this isn't exactly a Disney-specific question, but it did come up when friends and I went out for drinks last night. Some of us will be in Disney 2 weeks from now, so thought it would be good to ask (for Disney and in general!).

Any waiters/waittresses out there? Really curious what your experience/preferences are when it comes to this!

When splitting the check or bill at a restaurant amongst multiple credit cards, does it make a difference to the server if you tell him to split it evenly across all cards or write down precise amounts to charge to each card? Or what about charging $20 to 4 cards and $10 to 1 card? (Is that more difficult for the waiter to do than splitting evenly i.e. $18 per card?) I do always try to carry cash around for these situations, but sometimes they do still arise. Definitely not trying to make the server's life miserable... ultimately at the end of the day it is his job to accept payment. But what's easiest for him? (Nevermind the hassles of people paying for more/less of their fair share, figuring out who owes someone else $, etc.)

I'm a broke college student, so these situations are pretty common. Just wondering how the waitstaff feel about the issue!

(Also, I've read online that splitting a check is even more hassle-- better off giving multiple cards at the end than one card per individual itemized check.)

I would think that asking for separate checks ahead of time would be the easiest and most fair. I don't know what Disney policy is on this, but it just always ends up being a problem when we go somewhere that won't split checks.

Maybe a waiter can chime in...but I don't see how splitting is even more hassle than multiple payments. IF you let the server know ahead of time. I have seen a server just literally write each order on a separate slip.

1) You can pay any way you wish.
2) Disney makes it VERY EASY to transfer your cash to them.
3) Aren't they wonderfully accommodating ?

NOTE: Just make sure you tell the server prior to him/her making
the check, so they don't have to do it over again.

Honestly, just ask for separate checks. I paid for a meal with a couple of gift cards and then my debit card for the remaining balance and tip. I ended up having to sign three separate slips.

It would be easier for the waiter to hand table 1 seat 3 the individual bill for table 1 seat 3 than to keep several credit cards in hand and be handing the slips back with the correct card for the correct signature. It just seems like it will make more work for the waiter that way.

I will say, after mmphmmm years in the service industry and management thereof, that there will be some places (not necessarily in WDW but all over) that will refuse to split checks simply based on the kitchen's organization - they want all of the dishes ordered for the same table to be entered as a group so they print to the kitchen as a group, to ensure they don't leave three out of five waiting under the lamps while they work on the others. These refusals are not very common, but it will happen - just be aware.

I have never had a problem with multiple payments, although we will write the last four of each card with the total to be charged on that card beside it on the receipt before handing it to the waiter and expecting him/her to remember it all correctly. Most modern POS systems make it easy to enter one payment after another, so that is not really a big deal. In many places I've dealt with this is actually a little easier on the waitstaff than putting in multiple tickets because they only have to sign in to the system once; to enter a new ticket some systems will require a new sign-in for each.

And you are right, from a server's standpoint they should accomodate however you need to pay for your tab, graciously and with no sign of irritation no matter how complicated, to ensure that you have a good experience. But apologies or assisting them to keep things straight when a situation becomes complex and/or confusing are always appreciated.

When dining with others, we have never had a problem when asking for separate bills. Just do it when you are first seated, as a courtesy to your server.

Also, if you are in a party of 6 or more, be aware that there is an automatic gratuity added to the total bill. If this applies to your group, I imagine the total tip would be appropriately split amongst the separate bills.

I will say, after mmphmmm years in the service industry and management thereof, that there will be some places (not necessarily in WDW but all over) that will refuse to split checks simply based on the kitchen's organization - they want all of the dishes ordered for the same table to be entered as a group so they print to the kitchen as a group, to ensure they don't leave three out of five waiting under the lamps while they work on the others. These refusals are not very common, but it will happen - just be aware.
I have never had a problem with multiple payments, although we will write the last four of each card with the total to be charged on that card beside it on the receipt before handing it to the waiter and expecting him/her to remember it all correctly. Most modern POS systems make it easy to enter one payment after another, so that is not really a big deal. In many places I've dealt with this is actually a little easier on the waitstaff than putting in multiple tickets because they only have to sign in to the system once; to enter a new ticket some systems will require a new sign-in for each.

And you are right, from a server's standpoint they should accomodate however you need to pay for your tab, graciously and with no sign of irritation no matter how complicated, to ensure that you have a good experience. But apologies or assisting them to keep things straight when a situation becomes complex and/or confusing are always appreciated.

I find refusal to split checks common when the seated party is more than 4. ( not WDW, in MY area)
In this day when CC's are used for paying for everything from your morning coffee at the drive thru to groceries, I think the industry has to come up with something the waitstaff can use IN HAND to divide payments. It'll happen someday.

Now, THAT is a very good idea.

I am happy they can split up the bill - or do separate checks.
Easier when you are in a situation when everyone is not from the same family and each family pays their own share. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter