Split Stay - 4 Night DVC "Welcome Home" Trip Report: May 15-19th

john7994

DIS Veteran
Trip Report for May 15-19, 2022
- In background, our last trip was in January 2022 (Marathon Week) - offsite from WDW.
- It was a split stay for our DVC "Welcome Home" Grand Floridian (1BR Standard) & Bay Lake Tower (1BR "Lake" View - More on that later)
- No children, Me and the Wife driving from Atlanta, Georgia - Used Rideshare almost exclusively during the stay
- Park Reservations at WDW all four Days, No Park Hoppers, Genie +
- Magical Enhancements: Starlight Safari at Animal Kingdom & Keys to the Kingdom Tour at Magic Kingdom
- ADRs: Citricos, Jiko's, Brown Derby, California Grill, Steakhouse 71, and Topolinos
- I will skip through menu / food reviews - as there are better blogs and resources out there

Day One: Grand Floridian / Epcot Evening / Dinner at Citricos
- Advance Check-in 3:30P (No Issues - MagicBand Worked), 5th Floor (Wheelchair Accessible Room - not requested) - Low floor requested
- It was our first stay here ever, room was immaculate and well appointed in detail and styling - felt High-end & Deluxe
- View was standard (including the monorail), but quiet and grounds were well cared for.
- Front-desk staff were extremely pleasant and helpful throughout the stay
- No real disruptions from the renovations on property, but plainly visible from different vantage points
After settling in, headed to Epcot for the afternoon (crowds were thick), and immediately able to put Genie + to use, including three LLs before heading back to the resort for dinner at Citricos. This was helped along by a "dangerous thunderstorm warning" - which probably put a damper on the D23 GoTG festivities for the evening. Citricos was the standout hit for the trip, staff was amazing, beautiful table window (for the lightning show), food was impressive - overall felt very elegant. After-dinner drinks at Enchanted Rose - also very nice.

Day Two: Grand Floridian / Epcot All Day / Dinner at Jikos / Starlight Safari at Animal Kingdom
- Early Rise and Coffee to snag ILL for Remy, and first LL at Frozen
- Leisurely Breakfast TS Walk-up at Grand Floridian Cafe - Solid Service and Food
- Decided to check-out the DVC open-house at Grand Floridian - toured the amazing 3BR for a possible trip next January 2023
- Made it to the parks by mid-morning - snagged another LL for Test Track (as 120 minute rule after park open expired)
- Since Remy and the LLs were overlapping, we were able manage all three rides in quick order
- Wandered around, saw the packed GoTG Pavilion area, enjoyed a cocktail, did some shopping, saw the topiary's and a light lunch.
- Picked-up a few more LLs for Soarin' and Spaceship Earth to coincide with the exit from the park from World Showcase
By mid afternoon, with all the rides we wanted to do out of the way, we headed back to the Grand Floridian to change and relax for dinner
- Dinner at Jiko's was good overall, food was excellent, and the service was ordinary with little direct interaction from the staff
- The Starlight Safari that we planned after dinner (~8:30 Tour) was amazing and well worth it. The team we had was well prepared, ordered and made the evening very enjoyable. The passion for the animals (and her job) displayed by our guide was clearly evident. We were done in about 75 minutes from check-in to finish. Animals were plentiful as you rolled through the Savannas between the hotel buildings and some backstage areas for the tour.
- All in - a pretty long day and we were wiped out by 10P

Day Three: Bay Lake Tower / Hollywood Studios / Brown Derby Lunch & California Grill for Dinner
- Early rise for Check-out Day at Grand Floridian and move to Bay Lake Tower
- Made sure to grab RoTR and Mickey's Runaway Railway after our lunch at Brown Derby (11:40A reservation)
- Bell Service was efficient and friendly in moving our luggage for us over to Bay Lake, saved us a step as we moved the car over
- Checked-in with front desk at Bay Lake - a lot more staff visible at this resort. Verified our request for a lower floor and "Lake" View.
- Walked over to the Main Contemporary Building for coffee as we didn't need to be at Hollywood Studios until lunch
- We did also manage to pop over to Saratoga Springs - to check out their DVC open house as well - the rooms in comparison to Grand Floridian were not as impressive - but I did like the split floor 3BR arrangement. However worth noting, the windows were absolutely covered in pollen/dirt and looked like they haven't been washed in forever. For a model, you would think they would keep it clean.
- Grabbed another LL as we arrived at Hollywood Studios (as 120 minute rule after park open expired), picked-up Smugglers to pair with RoTR - - Shopped and walked around as we waited for Brown Derby. It was one of our first dining experiences on some of our first trips together - so it is a favorite for us - it did not disappoint and the service was very efficient.
- Hopped over to Mickey's Runaway Railway - it was down! Got an experience pass to redeem later, but was able to book another LL for Tower, as we made it over to RoTR and Smugglers. We also updated our California Grill Reservation from 6 - 7:30P as we wanted a little more time.
- Walked back over to Mickey's Runaway Railway which was back up and redeemed our experience pass on the way to Tower, also managed another LL for Rock and Roller Coaster a little later than we wanted - but we were able to exit the park by ~3:45P for our new room at Bay Lake. - Our room was not ready at Bay Lake Tower until after 4:30P (but didn't get our notification until we checked out two days later) - the room number was loaded in the MDE app - so at least we knew it was ready.
- Dinner at California Grill was terrific as usual and with the later arrival - we managed to catch the fireworks at MK after it rained. The staff was nice but very distracted by a wedding party that was creating a bit of a distraction (pictures, videography etc...)

Related to the Bay Lake Tower Experience:
- Overall, the staff was friendly and helpful and more visible than the DVC Villas at Grand Floridian
- MagicBand didn't work to enter the room, so used the MDE App to open the door. MagiBand had to be rescanned at the desk in the lobby.
- Coming from the Grand Floridian - the room was dark, lots of wood veneers and not very "deluxe" feeling. Furnishings were worn and reflected some wear and tear
- Balcony was off the living area but was placed in front of the bedroom.
- The room was on the 12th floor despite the ask to be on a lower floor - confirmed earlier in the day.
- The "Lake View" was sub-par at best. From our living and bedroom windows - we essentially saw the mirroring tower across the pool area - off to the right was the lake, but also not viewable due to the wall and door to the balcony while seated
- So despite our requests on the reservation, and confirming at the desk hours earlier - the only explanation we got was that it was a "low turnover day" with limited availability in rooms to give us. We did get somewhat of a lecture on "what most people do" when they reserve a room - but as new DVC owners (and still no guarantee to get what we reserved if we even knew what to ask) - this is was a big red flag for me about DVC in general.
- The desk CM did promise to see if some points could be returned to us - but we heard nor saw anything from them
- In general, I was surprised as there seems to be a really loyal base of owners at Bay Lake Tower - I walked away just not seeing the reason. The hotel isn't remarkable to look at. The pool area is nice and the extra bathroom in the 1BR - is probably very handy for families.

Day Four: Bay Lake Tower / Steakhouse 71 for Breakfast / Magic Kingdom / Keys to the Kingdom Tour / Topolinos for Dinner
- No doubt, this was our "best day ever" at WDW.
- We did an early breakfast at Steakhouse 71 - we loved this place from our visit back in January - and we were not disappointed. It was absolutely empty at 7:30A, but filled up as we ate. Service was excellent and very efficient as always. Our Server was bright, cheery, and engaging throughout.
- We had to be at the Theater by 9:15A on Main Street for the Keys to the Kingdom Tour for check-in. The staff was prepared and ready to go in getting everyone together and especially for those with mobility limitations.
- After the tour (below), we used Genie + to snag an LL for a Mickey Meet and Greet before we left to grab a little rest and to get ready for a resort hop over to Boardwalk and Beach Club before dinner
- We did the open houses for DVC at Boardwalk and Beach Club - definitely worth considering - although we couldn't see the 3BR at either as they weren't offered to tour.
- Stopped off for a quick cocktail (before it rained) at the Beach Club Pool Bar
- Made our way over to Riviera for dinner at Topolinos - it was our first time there. Our server was "Christopher" and he was the star of the show although the food was a close second. He was engaging and fun in a very genuine way - by far the best CM we met on property - hands down. I couldn't have asked for a better experience capped off by fireworks from Epcot.

On the Keys to the Kingdom Tour:
- It is everything you would want in a backstage tour of MK. It lasts about 4-5 hours depending on how busy the park is in getting around, going backstage, and through the Utilidoor area underneath the park.
- It includes lunch (Pecos Bill's), Plenty of Bathroom Breaks, Special Name Tags, Headphones so that you can hear the guide in the park areas, and a little gift - bring a water bottle - its a long tour!
- Apparently, there are three tours in the morning with slightly different things to experience depending on park opening times. I won't spoil the differences in the tour - as things also may change seasonally.
- Our Guide "Darlene" from Anaheim, CA was amazing. In her personal history, she interacted with Walt and Roy Disney, and her father was an imagineer with the Disney Company. The stories she shared were touching and gave a personal perspective that added to the storytelling in a huge way. We learned a ton from this experience.
- We did get to skip even the LL lines at Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion - very cool surprise
- No one had children of a young age on the tour - I would really consider before bringing them as you are seeing the magic before it goes onstage - including many of the characters as they get prepared for parades or guest meet and greets. Seeing Mickey before the top of the costume goes on - may be a bit confusing to kiddos later on in the park.
- As our tour got to see the characters before one of the big parades - we saw just about all of them getting ready and then flipped right into the park to see them in the parade. One of them (Donald Duck - even pointed to my name tag - made a motion to backstage - as almost an inside joke - which was kind of cool in its own way).

In the final analysis:
- Citricos, Topolinos were all around amazing - Jiko's and California Grill had great food and efficient staff - no regrets
- Our Starlight Safari and Keys to the Kingdom Tours - we will definitely recommend and do again.
- On the Resorts and DVC - it was a mixed bag. Apparently according to the Bay Lake CM, our type of touring (short stays and weekdays) may not be as compatible with DVC room availability. Even if we were able to get our preferences in room type/area of the hotel on the reservation properly - there are no guarantees that views are as advertised. Separately, not all resorts are the same either. This is subjective of course, but I think Deluxe should have a base standard.
- On Genie + - this was the biggest surprise. Absolutely no issues in securing what we wanted to do throughout the parks. This was a huge difference compared to our offsite stay.
- In general - the parks and properties were clean, but not all areas were staffed like in past visits pre pandemic. Definitely felt a vibe amongst the CMs that things were just not consistent and observed a lot of them talking about "work" in front of guests - never used to see that before.
- In terms of it being our Welcome Home visit - it didn't seem to really matter from a CM perspective or when mentioned at dining check-in's related to "celebrations" - not sure what I expected but was definitely missing an element of specialness.

Great report. Thank you for all the information! My DH and I are going in Sept. for our first "official" stay with DVC. My daughter and I went in January and did a tour much like you did but we stayed at 3 resorts, SSR, Poly and AKL Kidani. We stayed at GF Concierge Main building in 2017 and while I think GF is lovely it isn't my vibe but your time there sounds great. We stayed at AKL Kidani in 2019 for my 50th bday and I fell in love with it. I love the dark woods, the deep colors and just the smell! It is a wonderful thing that we each have different tastes and preferences :)

On your tours of DVC rooms were you looking to purchase into another resort?

On our "tour" we very much liked Poly (again the dark woods lol) and this is where I have considered buying next.

As to the views of the rooms in DVC I would think if it says Lake view it should be a Lake view... not a "if you stand in the far right corner of your balcony on your tiptoes you will see a reflection of the lake in the window of the opposite room" lol.

Again thanks for the report ...it helps me plan my trip.

Great report. Thank you for all the information! My DH and I are going in Sept. for our first "official" stay with DVC. My daughter and I went in January and did a tour much like you did but we stayed at 3 resorts, SSR, Poly and AKL Kidani. We stayed at GF Concierge Main building in 2017 and while I think GF is lovely it isn't my vibe but your time there sounds great. We stayed at AKL Kidani in 2019 for my 50th bday and I fell in love with it. I love the dark woods, the deep colors and just the smell! It is a wonderful thing that we each have different tastes and preferences :)

On your tours of DVC rooms were you looking to purchase into another resort?

On our "tour" we very much liked Poly (again the dark woods lol) and this is where I have considered buying next.

As to the views of the rooms in DVC I would think if it says Lake view it should be a Lake view... not a "if you stand in the far right corner of your balcony on your tiptoes you will see a reflection of the lake in the window of the opposite room" lol.

Again thanks for the report ...it helps me plan my trip.
Thanks for responding and appreciate the feedback! Congratulations on your Welcome Home!

For our tours, I think we were wanting to get a sense of "is it worth buying more" and where should we stay next as we are planning to be back in September as well and January 2023 for very different types of friend / family trips.

I completely understand the GF vibe isn't for everyone. I do truly appreciate the fact that there are different options to choose from. Don't get me wrong, I like dark rich woods, just more turned off on cheaper veneers in a "luxe" resort category. I will admit the "view" situation at BLT may have jaded me a bit :). For example, I would love the Cabins at CC or the Bungalows at Poly (wicked points though). Treehouses may be an option as well.

I love Poly and it was the first ever resort I stayed at ( a very long time ago :)), but not a huge fan of just a studio option - so perhaps the new tower changes all that in the future. Maybe we will try AKL soon - we certainly love the food options and the lobby aesthetic - but more apt to try the Wilderness Lodge first due to location.

Be aware of potential room locations and make sure Member Services has it noted with your reservation - we completely missed the boat at BLT, and while it was not a show-stopper, it was a bit of bummer to end the trip.

- No one had children of a young age on the tour - I would really consider before bringing them as you are seeing the magic before it goes onstage - including many of the characters as they get prepared for parades or guest meet and greets. Seeing Mickey before the top of the costume goes on - may be a bit confusing to kiddos later on in the park.
There were no young children because the tour requires a minimum age of 16. Your reasoning is correct; Disney doesn't want younger guests to see what happens backstage. This is the same reason photos are not allowed.

On our KTTK tour a few years ago, we saw three Peter Pans talking to one another in the tunnels.

There were no young children because the tour requires a minimum age of 16. Your reasoning is correct; Disney doesn't want younger guests to see what happens backstage. This is the same reason photos are not allowed.

On our KTTK tour a few years ago, we saw three Peter Pans talking to one another in the tunnels.
Now that would be worth a picture!!!

Thanks for responding and appreciate the feedback! Congratulations on your Welcome Home!

For our tours, I think we were wanting to get a sense of "is it worth buying more" and where should we stay next as we are planning to be back in September as well and January 2023 for very different types of friend / family trips.

I completely understand the GF vibe isn't for everyone. I do truly appreciate the fact that there are different options to choose from. Don't get me wrong, I like dark rich woods, just more turned off on cheaper veneers in a "luxe" resort category. I will admit the "view" situation at BLT may have jaded me a bit :). For example, I would love the Cabins at CC or the Bungalows at Poly (wicked points though). Treehouses may be an option as well.

I love Poly and it was the first ever resort I stayed at ( a very long time ago :)), but not a huge fan of just a studio option - so perhaps the new tower changes all that in the future. Maybe we will try AKL soon - we certainly love the food options and the lobby aesthetic - but more apt to try the Wilderness Lodge first due to location.

Be aware of potential room locations and make sure Member Services has it noted with your reservation - we completely missed the boat at BLT, and while it was not a show-stopper, it was a bit of bummer to end the trip.
Loved your Trip Report. Thank you. It was smart of you to tour the other resorts to get a feel of each place. My only suggestion would be to make sure to actually STAY at any resort at the top of your list. I purchased BCV & Poly having never stayed there (though did stay at Poly 50 years ago in regular rooms) and though I find the studios very large, I don't care for the "trying to find your longhouse late at night in pitch blackness".

If I had to do it all over today, I would have chosen BWV and BLT (yep, BLT). I love BCV location to Skyliners & Epcot (and my husband's fave resort) but I travel a lot with an adult daughter who always begs for BWV and reserving standard rooms when you don't own there is almost impossible. I love BLT for the location and the second washroom in the 1 bedroom.

So do your homework (which I did not do) before spending thousands on your add-on choice(s).

Loved your Trip Report. Thank you. It was smart of you to tour the other resorts to get a feel of each place. My only suggestion would be to make sure to actually STAY at any resort at the top of your list. I purchased BCV & Poly having never stayed there (though did stay at Poly 50 years ago in regular rooms) and though I find the studios very large, I don't care for the "trying to find your longhouse late at night in pitch blackness".

If I had to do it all over today, I would have chosen BWV and BLT (yep, BLT). I love BCV location to Skyliners & Epcot (and my husband's fave resort) but I travel a lot with an adult daughter who always begs for BWV and reserving standard rooms when you don't own there is almost impossible. I love BLT for the location and the second washroom in the 1 bedroom.

So do your homework (which I did not do) before spending thousands on your add-on choice(s).
Appreciate the advice and taking the time to provide the feedback. We are staying at the SSR Treehouses in July (on a whim) and BWV in September - so we will be able to at least sample a few more resorts. Copper Creek is next on the "try" list - and maybe even tour it on our next trip. Since we like the 1BR setup - Poly may need to wait until the new towers :)

Appreciate the advice and taking the time to provide the feedback. We are staying at the SSR Treehouses in July (on a whim) and BWV in September - so we will be able to at least sample a few more resorts. Copper Creek is next on the "try" list - and maybe even tour it on our next trip. Since we like the 1BR setup - Poly may need to wait until the new towers :)
DH and I stayed in a CCV one bedroom in January and didn’t expect to like it. Just wanted to experience it. Well, we LOVED it and we pretended it was our own ‘condo’. Adored the nooks and crannies. Look forward to your reaction.

Enjoyed reading your trip report! Was there any pre-planning involved for the DVC Open Houses or did you just walk up?

Enjoyed reading your trip report! Was there any pre-planning involved for the DVC Open Houses or did you just walk up?
Thank you you for the feedback.

The open house stuff we handled like a bar crawl - where we basically said - let's go there, have a drink and then view some rooms. Essentially all the properties had "business hours" into the early evenings without needing an appointment. So it was relaxing without being on an itinerary. Since we rideshared everywhere, it helped get us through security to say we were there for the DVC Open House - we were waved through every time.

One note though - not all properties had all the rooms available to show - which was little disappointing. If you want to plan it more carefully than we did, the concierges can call ahead to the DVC people at each resort and ask what is available to show at the property in terms of room types.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter