Splash Mountain to become Princess and the Frog ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, friendly reminder that Disney Parks are not just designed for the “fans,” they’re designed for everyone to enjoy. I think WDI tried to make this point extra clear in the last few installments of The Imagineering Story. If Disney Parks were designed just for the fans, we’d still be seeing Horizons at Epcot or riding with Mr. Toad at MK.

Also, I think you get into a uncomfortable place when you start questioning who is a “real” fan or a “legitimate” part of the Disney Parks fan base. And again, the parks are built for everyone, not just the fans.

Splash Mountain is gold standard as far as I’m concerned for what imagineers can do if given the opportunity, right up there with Haunted Mansion and Pirates. I know it was always IP, but there’s a clear difference with what they did with Splash, and say FEA that was made to capitalize on the popularity of an IP. Splash was a great example of how to use an IP well (maybe just not the right choice of IP).

I get the need for this. I really *really* hope they do this attraction justice. A half hearted overlay would be such a disgrace.

This makes me sad because of the nostalgia I have for the original, but I totally get why it’s happening. I overall just want this to be well done and not a half hearted reskinning of the ride. Plus, hopefully they can address some of the technical issues the current one is plagued with.

I should also probably watch PatF now, huh?

How do people deal with real adversity in life if this is the kind of thing that emotionally devastates them?

There’s a pandemic, record unemployment, continued social injustice and ... this is what people are hung up about? Life will move on and be OK.

I love Splash in its current form. But nothing lasts forever, and that’s fine. I’m excited for a new experience!

People can feel more than one thing, and care about more than one thing. Wild, right?

I suggest some research. If there was nothing wrong with it I would have to think it would be readily available.

That has more to do with leadership at Disney than anything to do with the film. They have far more "problematic" things readily available on Disney+. Not releasing Song of the South is hard to justify in context.

No there are far worse things disney could have done and likely will do.

Change is never easy for many of us. People were outraged with Epcot changes, the same with Mr. Toad leaving, and the list goes on. We all survive.

You are the only one that can talk me off the ledge right now!

Not only is it likely it's been worked on for over a year, it's likely it's been discussed much longer than that. They're taking an attraction that's themed with a movie that our kids and grandkids will never see and will never relate to, and are replacing it with a theme and music they know. This was going to be somewhat controversial whenever they did it - it's time for the change.

I know it won't be seen as a direct correlation, but I remember the first time we saw the new fireworks after hating Disney for removing Wishes. Then 2/3rds of the way through the first new show, we heard all the kids singing the songs WE were not familiar with - and that's when we realized how good it was to change things up for the upcoming generations. And funny - we no longer miss Wishes that much, and we've learned many new songs! The ride will likely be very similar with the iconic drop - just different characters, different story, and newer music. We'll miss Splash, but will be looking forward to the change.
I agree. I get that people don’t like change and getting rid of classic attractions at Disney. And I understand not everything needs to be princess-themed. But take the Frozen ride, for example. I get why people were upset about it. But my DD, who is 9, absolutely loves it. It is for that generation. It will be what she remembers. There are plenty of things at Disney I loved as a kid that are gone. But it’s okay. Life must move on.

This thread isn't filled with a wide range of the population. This will not be a popular announcement.

Whenever rides get changed or eliminated it’s never popular unless folks are ready for it to go.

I’m sure this is getting far more tweets than the Great Movie Ride going away. I don’t think people are ready for this change. I bet most people haven’t seen Song of the South. I only saw it once about 7 years ago.

Now I am ready for the Jurassic Ride at UO to get the CA update. It’s time. But I really wasn’t ready to lose the stunt car show at Universal. It was good.

Also, friendly reminder that Disney Parks are not just designed for the “fans,” they’re designed for everyone to enjoy. I think WDI tried to make this point extra clear in the last few installments of The Imagineering Story. If Disney Parks were designed just for the fans, we’d still be seeing Horizons at Epcot or riding with Mr. Toad at MK.

Also, I think you get into a uncomfortable place when you start questioning who is a “real” fan or a “legitimate” part of the Disney Parks fan base. And again, the parks are built for everyone, not just the fans.

As one of those die-hard fans, this is 100% right.

I still HATE this decision, but you're spot on.

I was this thinking “I got friends on the other side”
“...are you ready?!...”

I wonder if they'd bring Facilier into it somehow since the DPB article indicated this would take place after the end of the movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter