Soy Milk Availability?

jana616

DIS Veteran
Although a disboards veteran, I have never stepped into this particular board because we have been fortunate to not have had food allergies in our family before. However, my 19 month old DD cannot have regular milk, and I am starting to get nervous about finding soy milk easily at WDW.

We have the QSDP, and plan to eat the majority of our meals in the parks. From what I've gathered on here, it sounds like the CS most likely will NOT have soy available, is that true? We are staying at AS Sports...will we have better luck there? With our refillable mugs, I'm wondering if we could all get soy with our meals there and keep them in the fridge in the room to take to the parks later? Does the resort gift shop sell a quart of soy we could keep in the room? She drinks a ton of soy milk, and we try not to give her much juice, so I'm nervous about how to get her enough.

Has anyone found/tried shelf-stable soy milk? Maybe we could check it in our luggage... We will have a TS meal at T-Rex, does anyone know if they have soy milk? We will also have breakfast at Tusker House. Do I need to let them know ahead of time, or is soy something they have readily available?

If anyone knows of CS places in each park that typically do have soy, I would love to know! Thanks! Sorry, I am sure I am freaking out over nothing!

We have stayed at POP (which is a value) and has a little better food court than the All Stars and I have never seen Soy Milk there. As a matter of fact, I haven't ever noticed soy milk as an option not that I have specifically looked for it. If she drinks a lot of it, it might be quite a hassle to try to bring that much shelf stable. Might I suggest ordering some through one of the grocery delivery services? All of the values now have fridges, so you wouldn't have to order the shelf stable version. But if you wanted the smaller containers, I would try some of the shelf stable now and see how she likes it. I'm sure your daughter isn't the first person allergic to cow's milk or that can't drink cow's milk for whatever reason. I would think that with the volume of people coming thru WDW, they would have soy milk. It is a fairly popular product. Some people prefer it for health reasons. Best of luck to you. :goodvibes

The soy milk sold currently at WDW is Kikkoman Pearl. At your resort you will have no trouble finding it. They only sell it in single serving, shelf stable cartons. If you don't see it in the fridge in your food court then ask a chef as it's most likely in the back. I've never found a resort food court that didn't carry soy milk though I've never stayed at an All Star resort. Each time we've stayed at Pop, it's definitely been there in the cooler. Again, they only sell single servings. If you want a quart of half gallon then you'll want to place a grocery order. Garden Grocer carries half gallons of Silk that require refrigeration as well as single serving cartons which are shelf stable.

Even regular milk isn't available in refillable mugs so there's no way Disney would offer a milk alternative in the mugs. Oh, wait, I just understood your question. Yes, if everybody uses their mugs for drinks then you can get single serving shelf stable cartons out of the cooler in the food court as your drink options with the dining plan and keep those to bring to the park. We do this with bottled water.

Pretty much every TS location we've ever been to has had soy milk available. For the longest time chocolate soy milk was DD14's drink of choice in restaurants so that's the basis if my statement. Tusker House definitely had soy milk this past February. I actually don't know if T-Rex will though since it's not Disney owned; you can call them directly to ask.

Park CS is a different scenario. We usually get bottled water with the exception of Sunshine Seasons in Epcot where the soy milk cartons are sitting out for everybody to see. I don't think we've asked elsewhere since she drinks so much soy milk between our resort and TS meals.

The above for the most part was true as of last August. We didn't try much over our February trip.

That being said, I don't know what we're going to do now that they only serve Pearl since they very clearly state they can't guarantee gluten free, they process gluten in their factory and the one time she did try it she ended up sick.

One more thing I'd like to mention. We use a product called DariFree for travel. My kids don't necessarily like the vanilla but we use the chocolate as a cocoa alternative. It can be used just as milk if your child likes the flavour. It travels really well since it's a powder which you just mix with water.

walmart in our area carry single serve cartons of shelf stable soy mild like juice boxes. i remember chocolate and i think vanilla flavors. been too long since grandson needed.

I haven't stayed at Sports recently, but both Movies and Pop carry soy milk - so I am assuming that Sports does as well. HOWEVER, I have never seen it in the larger containers; only the single serving cases where they keep the other milk in the food court. (I know that when we were last there, they had vanilla and chocolate. But, I'm not sure if that has changed.)

DS13 has outgrown his milk allergy (Yay!) but when he was younger we brought the shelf-stable ones with us. He's only ever had the SILK (there really weren't other brands when he was younger) so I can't comment on otehr brands. But, he had no troubles going from the refrigerated kind to the shelf stable kind. I found with a young child that it was better to have the milk available in the hotel room (they drink a lot of milk at that age!) in larger quantities than trying to find it whereever we went. We just put it in his sippy cup.

Thanks so much for all of the replies! I'm feeling a little less nervous about this now. I found the shelf stable milk at Target last night, and since my daughter currently drinks Silk, I like that it's the same brand for her. Has anyone packed any of the shelf stable cartons in their checked luggage on the plane? I would love to have a bunch of the single servings to bring into the parks (don't really want to pay $2.19 each at the resort!), but I didn't know how likely they are to explode!

Thanks so much for all of the replies! I'm feeling a little less nervous about this now. I found the shelf stable milk at Target last night, and since my daughter currently drinks Silk, I like that it's the same brand for her. Has anyone packed any of the shelf stable cartons in their checked luggage on the plane? I would love to have a bunch of the single servings to bring into the parks (don't really want to pay $2.19 each at the resort!), but I didn't know how likely they are to explode!

We've packed it in our luggage and it was fine. But, that was before all the luggage restrictions and we didn't have to worry about using up the space or what it weighed. We also used to pack juice boxes and they were fine, as well.

We've packed it in our luggage and it was fine. But, that was before all the luggage restrictions and we didn't have to worry about using up the space or what it weighed. We also used to pack juice boxes and they were fine, as well.

Perfect, thanks! We're on SWA and have up to 8 free checked bags between us, so surely we can find the room :) I just didn't want a mess!

The shelf stable soy milk is available in many grocery stores and you can pack it, but I know we saw lots of soy milk in WDW when we were there. If you are really nervous about having enough I would have Garden Grocer deliver some (you can call if you have questions) so you have plenty.

If you have a car you can pick up the shelf stable Silk at Publix at the corner of 535 and 192. It isn't far from WDW and Celebration.

I have read threads where people packed water or juice boxes in their luggage and it broke or leaked - big mess. Water is just wet, but soy milk would be much worse.

I would probably advise getting it at WDW rather than packing it - especially as the amount a 19 month old would need would get rather heavy and might put a bag over weight.

I used to pack shelf stable stuff in my suitcase. I'd pack it in a ziploc bag, pack our disposable ponchos around it and then put it in another ziploc bag as protection from leaks/damage. It seemed to work.

That being said, I no longer do this. I know love ordering groceries so I can go so many more things including cases of bottled water, fruit and various perishables and liquids. I include the milk in my order. I don't want to risk leakage and I don't want to deal with the extra weight in my suitcases (I have trouble keeping my bags under 50lb because I obsessively pack as efficiently as I can). I also fly SWA and have lots of extra luggage space so that's not part of my reasons thoug I flew another airline it would be. It's just so much easier and less stressful to place a grocery order. I do still pack dry goods into my bag to not only save money but also so that I'll have all that extra space in my bags for our trip home (clothes seem to inexplicably expand when worn; they never go back in the bags taking up the same amount of space as when they came out LOL) plus it leaves space for souvenirs.

We have made two trips to WDW with my son who is allergic to diary. When we stayed in All Star Movies, they gave us a room with a fridge for free. I had called ahead of time. He was not yet two on that trip. We carried his soy milk in the cooler pocket of his backpack diaper bag while in the parks. We also found that it was sold in the food court in single serve portions. Last year when he was seven, we took the single serve boxes of almond milk with us. He prefers it to Silk. My advice is just call WDW, and they will give you all the help and info you could ask for. They should be able to email you a list of all the places that you can get soy milk.

you can find out information about special dietary needs in post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Lactose intolerance is actually a common problem and is usually accommodated in most places at WDW without much problem.

This is a link to the DisneyWorld webpage about special dietary needs and is the information people have posted they have recently been sent when they contacted Disney about common food allergies:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter