Southwest and their issues

BTW, American and United already had vaccine mandates in place for all their employees. So if you're going to hang your hat on Southwest's problems being a vaccine mandate, you better switch your flights to Delta, since they're the only major airline without one.
SW's problem is the possible job action that their mandate precipitated. No one has said, or even hinted the existence of a dictate had any role in what happened this weekend. The union's reaction to that dictate may well have had a part, but not the dictate itself.

I am booked on SWA for this weekend to Orlando. I'll see how it goes. I've alwys loved SWA, but obviously they are having some issues. :(

I am booked on SWA for this weekend to Orlando. I'll see how it goes. I've alwys loved SWA, but obviously they are having some issues. :(

SAME! I'm flying out of MHT. They've had some delays but few cancelations from what I've seen. I'm on a direct flight so I don't care if it's delayed - it just needs to take off. I'm really hoping they get their sh*t together by this weekend.

SAME! I'm flying out of MHT. They've had some delays but few cancelations from what I've seen. I'm on a direct flight so I don't care if it's delayed - it just needs to take off. I'm really hoping they get their sh*t together by this weekend.

I'll be flying out of MEM bright and early Saturday morning. It is also direct. I've taken this flight many times and it is usually smooth. Hopefully there won't be any issues.

SW's problem is the possible job action that their mandate precipitated. No one has said, or even hinted the existence of a dictate had any role in what happened this weekend. The union's reaction to that dictate may well have had a part, but not the dictate itself.
Pilots interviewed on the news today had a totally different story

How long would you wait before you would be confident enough to fly them? I know they have been having problems for a while. Due to flight changes for our recent trip we purchased tickets on Delta, and are now sitting on Southwest credits. Do you think they will be ok by February? Next July? Any ideas?
It will probably be a couple of years before I will try them again. We have been using Sun Country for all of our trips from MSP to MCO and have had really good results with them. They have good flight schedules (for us anyway) and good prices (even better if you are a Sun Country credit card holder). So we will be sticking with them for a while.

I am also worried about booking with SW for next Feb. Having them cancel on me on short notice in Feb is something I'm not looking forward too.

We fly out next Friday morning. I checked our flight yesterday and today. The flight went as scheduled both days. I plan to check daily until we leave.

Part of Southwest's issue is trying to balance supply/demand. Obviously, fewer people were flying when covid first started and airlines reduced their schedules and/or took planes out of service. Some articles indicate SW has been slower to put planes back in service as a way to control costs. When there is any type of disruption for things like bad weather or maintenance, it can cascade into impacting many flights, since there are fewer planes in the system to move around.

Some of the others issues being reported are more 'noise' then reality.

Wife is now on a Southwest plane headed to Albany, NY. Left early, expected arrival 15 minutes early right now.
That was yesterday.

Today wifey is on a southbound Southwest plane 🛩 with our grandson as I type this. Left Albany 2 minutes early and right now is predicting a 20 minute early arrival at Orlando International. No issues. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Part of Southwest's issue is trying to balance supply/demand. Obviously, fewer people were flying when covid first started and airlines reduced their schedules and/or took planes out of service. Some articles indicate SW has been slower to put planes back in service as a way to control costs. When there is any type of disruption for things like bad weather or maintenance, it can cascade into impacting many flights, since there are fewer planes in the system to move around.

Some of the others issues being reported are more 'noise' then reality.

They've been cutting it close to the bone on staffing, etc. for a year now. Travel has picked up faster than expected. I'm sure the vaccine mandate probably cost them a few workers (it definitely costs me the aggravation of clicking 'ignore' on all the antivaxxers who jump on this bandwagon every chance they get. Side note: facebook is back up) but it's primarily a result of overscheduling and lack of resources, a.k.a. mismanagement. I've been on a couple dozen Southwest trips since covid and at least 50% of them have been delayed, rescheduled, etc., *WAY* more than usual. I've also waited a solid hour (as in 60+ minutes) standing at the baggage carousel for one suitcase. This past weekend's disaster has been many months in the making, and they're certainly vulnerable to another round of it, especially around upcoming holidays. Travelers beware.

Also note that Southwest doesn't participate in the interline agreement with other airlines. I've had a flight cancelled on Delta and they rebooked me on a comparable American Airlines flight right at the podium. That doesn't happen with Southwest. You're stuck with their schedule or pay full price for a ticket on your own if another airline has the seat(s) you need. Hence the domino effect of planes and crew being out of position, servicing already-booked passengers plus those stranded, etc. It's a huge mess and always takes several days to get back to normal operations.

I would not travel with Southwest for Thanksgiving. I just saw on news that the end date for vaccine mandate for employees is the day before thanksgiving. It could get worse before better. I would plan a back up if can.
Sorry, cant afford a back up. I am traveling the week before Thanksgiving for only 4 days midweek. The only thing I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

When we flew StL to MCO last March/April (week leading up to Easter, Sat to Sat) I had booked our flights MONTHS in advance, just because I knew we could get credit when flights went down in cost and (more importantly) I didn't want to risk losing out on the Wanna Get Away fares available when I initially booked. To save a few extra bucks I'd made a reservation for myself independently of my hubby and three kiddos. SWA changed our flights no less than 4 times, once changing the day entirely, and on the second change, my flights were completely different than the rest of the family's. I was able to get everything straightened out and our reservations linked so we didn't get split again, but as I stated, our flights still got moved two more times.

Day of departure our flight is delayed nearly an hour. Normally I'd be irritated, but not think a lot of it -- delays happen here and there. But my stepmom's flight out of Louisville was also delayed almost an hour at the same time as ours. It was just ....odd... and certainly was frustrating as it, in combination with the EXTENSIVE line for DME resulted in a nearly missed but thankfully rescheduled ADR at The Boathouse for my daughter's bday dinner.

Hubby and I have already discussed a few times that although we will have significant credit for SW flights (assuming I pay to extend the use window :rolleyes2), we will likely select another airline to fly for our trip in June. It just isn't worth the stress/worry/headache many are dealing with now when we have advance knowledge enough to choose otherwise. I've flown SWA almost exclusively for the last 30 years at minimum flying every other year, sometimes more. I LOVE not having to worry about paying for my luggage such that I'm willing to deal with the chaos that is boarding groups, but not so much that I'm risking a potential huge delay eating into my Disney fix.

ETA: I don't recall ever having had my flights changed at all, but certainly never to this degree. Also, though one of the flights I called and had us switched to at one point (don't recall if it was the final flight or not) cost more, we were not required to pay the difference.

Last edited:
I was scheduled to fly out of VPS (Destin/Fort Walton) on Southwest this past Saturday at 10:20 AM. I received a text at 4:00 AM that morning that the flight was canceled.

You cannot call the 800 number to re-book because you can't get through. Wait times were over 2 hours, I hung up at three hours. I was still on hold when we drove to the airport and the Southwest counter. They told me to hang up, that I will never get through. I ended up being re-booked five times over the next few days. Was supposed to leave Saturday morning and didn't get home until Tuesday night (PIT) and I had to leave from Panama City to get that flight.

Things were starting to get real ugly at the airport by Monday night. This is only the beginning, plan on seeing this again around the holidays. You might want to reconsider air travel until early next year. We had issues with Delta on the way down as well.

FWIW, from a different internet forum...Pilots can't fly for at least 48 hours after being vaccinated. SW pays employees for that time. I'm not sure if SW pays an extra day. Pilots who got vaccinated near the deadline resulted in shortages. Some pilots, who were nearing retirement, took their accumulated sick days.

SW is scheduling more flights then they have enough staff to cover contingencies. Weather results in pilots running out of hours. Too many sick, vaccination time off, and the airline is short pilots.

Regarding the 48 hr rule for pilots and their vaccinations, yes, that's true. If there aren't already enough pilots to cover the routes, having pilots out for 48 hours adds to the existing problem. My husband was lucky enough to get Johnson & Johnson on a Friday, so his 48 hrs was over the weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter