Southwest and their issues

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
How long would you wait before you would be confident enough to fly them? I know they have been having problems for a while. Due to flight changes for our recent trip we purchased tickets on Delta, and are now sitting on Southwest credits. Do you think they will be ok by February? Next July? Any ideas?

Southwest is trying to do their schedule tweaks around 60 days in advance. Southwest appears to have more flights scheduled then planes, and crew, available to fly them. I'd book them before I'd lose my credits. IMPORTANT. When Southwest changes your flight you have ONE OPPORTUNITY to change it without paying the fare difference. You might be able to change your dates by up to 14 days. You have a few day window (3 days?) to make the change online otherwise you call. Once you accept the change by making the change or telling SW it's OK you have to pay the fare difference.

Last trip I changed my return day so I could keep a N/S flight. I waited until a couple of weeks before my trip to call and make the change.

How long would you wait before you would be confident enough to fly them? I know they have been having problems for a while. Due to flight changes for our recent trip we purchased tickets on Delta, and are now sitting on Southwest credits. Do you think they will be ok by February? Next July? Any ideas?
Just flew them in Sept, have flights scheduled in Dec, so I'm OK with them now. They had some changes to our Sept flights, but we were able to keep non-stops. (I did get a little nervous when the price dropped to $49 each way). I always use points so few credit issues except for the $5.60 fee. So far no changes to our Dec 2 & 5 flights except for price drops. We fly out of Reagan (DCA)

Last edited:

I fly Southwest quite frequently. Only once this year I had a problem and here is my track record for 2021 flights:
Jan 5th
March 3rd, 20th & 21st
April 10th & 30th
May 10th & 27th
June 13 & 28th
July 18th
August 1st
Sept 6th & 26th
Oct 3rd

Now the only time I had a problem was on June 23rd when my flight was cancelled on the 22nd, but I rebooked for the 28th.

Your mileage may vary.

Every single airline has had a meltdown of some sorts in the last few years. Spirit a few weeks ago, American before that and Delta had a slew of holiday meltdowns (Thanksgiving, Easter & Christmas). As others said, just make sure you use your credits before they expire.

And while we flew SW last weekend with no issues, just read that they cancelled 800 flights yesterday and over 1000 today, so yikes! We are retired and fairly flexible.

My experiences aside we had some friends visiting last week that tried to fly Orlando to Albany, NY Saturday but flight got cancelled when they were at the gate. We picked them up and they flew today, although they were 3 hours late getting to Albany. First they were short 1 pilot and then when they got out to the runway they returned to the gate to de-board a disruptive passenger.

I'm not scheduled to fly again until November 24.

We had some issues going to the west coast in August, on both legs of the trip, our flights got significantly pushed back. If I had points or credits, I would still use them. Covid has done a number on airlines as of recent, I'm sure they'll bounce back eventually.

I’ll try them spring or later of next year. This is obviously a labor issue since no other airlines are having the same issues and Southwest doesn’t have enough work force to even handle a few airports having bad weather. Maybe by Spring they’ll have more trained hires and will be able to weather a few thunderstorms without having an operational meltdown. I know the other airlines are short staffed as well but Southwest seems to be short staffed to an extreme the others aren’t.

SWA cancels 1,800 flights: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/10/southwest-airlines-cancels-1000-more-flights-as-disruptions-mount.html

And BTW, the FAA says the weather and staffing at a Jacksonville, FL air traffic control center had little effect on the SWA cancellations.
This. Why isn’t anyone talking about this? Facebook discussions I. Disney groups are all talking about this mess but barely a mention in the news or the. Boards.

i feel for this people and worry because I have southwest both ways for my after thanksgiving trip.

I wouldn't let a credit expire. Based on the last few days I'd book a different airline, if the fare is similar

We have round trip Southwest tickets booked to Disneyland for Thanksgiving week and I've been debating all morning canceling to another airline after the fiasco this weekend. Flying a holiday week makes things a bit extra stressful because good luck rebooking a flight with short/no notice. I'm probably going to ditch them for United but haven't made up my mind yet...

We’re not traveling until next fall but I’ll be watching Southwest and see how they’re doing before I book. We usually fly with them but this time we have 18 people going and I can’t imagine us trying to get everyone rebooked with their current customer service climate.

This. Why isn’t anyone talking about this? Facebook discussions I. Disney groups are all talking about this mess but barely a mention in the news or the. Boards.

i feel for this people and worry because I have southwest both ways for my after thanksgiving trip.
Stories online today at CNBC, CNN, NYT, Washington Post, ABC and more.
CNN covered the story on the air today.

I just read 340 cancellations so far this morning.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/southwest-continues-cancel-flights-2-142604345.html

Yes I may try another airline for our Dec trip. Too risky when they are cancelling one out of every three flights now

I posted the same sentiments on the November thread for WDW....

I switched to strictly SW b/c every other airline I previously used ALWAYS had delays or issues. Plus i love free checked bags. I am monitoring for my Thanksgiving trip, but i'm not willing to pay more to switch airlines between tickets and baggage fees. I just hope we don't have issues for our flight back home which will impact our work schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter