Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

Oh I wanted to ask anyone who knows… is watching a movie at the El Capitan theatre worth it?
It is an older theatre, so don’t expect seating like at a modern theatre. There is not a lot of legroom in the seats; taller people might find it uncomfortable. It is also not stadium seating & no recliner seats. The lower level seating has very little rise from one row to the next; the balcony is a bit better. It does have some nice Art Deco features, and if you like or want an old-time theatre experience, it is fun.

I don’t know if the organist is back yet or his schedule; if you are fortunate enough to be there when he is performing on their massive Wurlitzer theatre organ before a film, I think he’s worth the price of admission on his own.

ADD - I forgot to include, if you have Disney+ the El Capitan organist is featured in episode 9 of One Day at Disney.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/art...o-decades-at-disney-with-rousing-performance/
https://variety.com/2014/scene/news...ards-is-living-his-own-pipe-dream-1201211240/

Last edited:
The trip used to visit the carousel in Griffith park, but I am not sure if that is still the case. The observatory/planetarium are not part of the official tour, and I doubt that a hike in the park is part of the official tour as well. Consider adding them back on the list if you want to do them.

Since the passing of the owner of the Griffith Park carousel, I was told ABD has removed this visit from their itinerary. It's sad because that was a great stop.

Following along ;).. just booked the 6days for Sept next year!

As this seems to be a once in a lifetime kind of trip (most places I wouldn't get back more than once, I decided for the 6 days - also the experiences at Disneyland sounded richer in this trip.

probably will look to go to Universal before

Happy to have this trip in the pipeline lol

Since the passing of the owner of the Griffith Park carousel, I was told ABD has removed this visit from their itinerary. It's sad because that was a great stop.

just curious, if we don’t pass by Griffith park anymore, what time does the tour end? Maybe we could visit Griffith Observatory and Griffith park then if the afternoon is free…
Have any trips gone since then, though?
Would be curious how things are and if there’s anything different now!

I was saddened when I read that. The carousel was one of the quirky highlights of my last ABD trip. Julio, the owner, was so enthusiastic and fun to listen to. And that carousel was the fastest carousel I’ve ever been on.

just curious, if we don’t pass by Griffith park anymore, what time does the tour end? Maybe we could visit Griffith Observatory and Griffith park then if the afternoon is free…

Would be curious how things are and if there’s anything different now!

Sorry, I don't have any info on what the current tour includes or when things would end. I only know the info about the carousel because I asked an Adventure Guide. He has not worked for ABD since before the pandemic, so he couldn't tell me how the tour has changed. I know the DisTeam is going on this trip in December 2021, March 2022 & July 2022 so they might have more info or possibly post about it on social media? That's all the info I have about that.

I think it's still possible it might go to the carousel. From what I understand, the owner died in the middle of 2020, and no tours have gone to California until then and won't be (possibly) going until October. So it's completely up in the air what is happening with the tour to begin with.

I was saddened when I read that. The carousel was one of the quirky highlights of my last ABD trip. Julio, the owner, was so enthusiastic and fun to listen to. And that carousel was the fastest carousel I’ve ever been on.
Sorry, I don't have any info on what the current tour includes or when things would end. I only know the info about the carousel because I asked an Adventure Guide. He has not worked for ABD since before the pandemic, so he couldn't tell me how the tour has changed. I know the DisTeam is going on this trip in December 2021, March 2022 & July 2022 so they might have more info or possibly post about it on social media? That's all the info I have about that.
Thanks! I’ll definitely look out for any reports of people going this fall just to have an idea :)

If you want to do some theme parks then you have Universal Studios, Knottsberry farm, and Six Flags Magic Mountain (might not be worth it if DS doesn't like thrill rides).

I like LA and I tend to stick to the beaches. Everywhere from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica will have good beaches and lots of restaurants and shops. Malibu has some nice restaurants but I wouldn't spend a whole day there.

Beverly Hills has high-end shopping but that's about it. The Grove is basically a huge mall, not super exciting for me but for some it can be. You can also do all the non-Disney studio tours, see the Griffith Observatory, the zoo, and the Long Beach Aquarium/beach area.

Koreatown has the best Asian food. Other than that, I would actually suggest you check out Buzzfeed's "Worth It" series on Youtube, where they visit a bunch of different restaurants around LA.

If you want to do some theme parks then you have Universal Studios, Knottsberry farm, and Six Flags Magic Mountain (might not be worth it if DS doesn't like thrill rides).

I like LA and I tend to stick to the beaches. Everywhere from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica will have good beaches and lots of restaurants and shops. Malibu has some nice restaurants but I wouldn't spend a whole day there.

Beverly Hills has high-end shopping but that's about it. The Grove is basically a huge mall, not super exciting for me but for some it can be. You can also do all the non-Disney studio tours, see the Griffith Observatory, the zoo, and the Long Beach Aquarium/beach area.

Koreatown has the best Asian food. Other than that, I would actually suggest you check out Buzzfeed's "Worth It" series on Youtube, where they visit a bunch of different restaurants around LA.
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll have to look into those and I will definitely watch the ‘Worth It’ series again to find some restaurant and food suggestions!
I have crossed out the Grove from my list though I did want to check out wanderlust ice cream near the original farmers market 😅

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll have to look into those and I will definitely watch the ‘Worth It’ series again to find some restaurant and food suggestions!
I have crossed out the Grove from my list though I did want to check out wanderlust ice cream near the original farmers market 😅

The Farmer's Market is still worth going to, especially since it's very close to the first ABD hotel.

Sorry yes meant Griffith park. I thought it was close enough lol! Thanks for clarifying and would consider this option!

Oh I wanted to ask anyone who knows… is watching a movie at the El Capitan theatre worth it?
We always visit El Capitan when a new Disney movie is out while we're in LA. Though it no longer includes experiences at the mall across the street with admission as it once did for the same price, we still enjoy it. If you're used to the modern theaters with fancy seating, you might not like it.

We came in early on arrival and stayed at the same hotel. We also do not like to deal with renting cars, or in general driving around on vacation if we can avoid it. So we stuck to things that are within walking distance. Luckily in this area, there is actually quite a bit to do. After arrival and check-in with our adventure guides, we walked over to Runyon Canyon and hiked there. There are tons of restaurants within walking distance so we found a poke place for lunch.
It sounds like you might be looking for a bit more than we did, but I really loved this adventure. We did an adult only and I think we will try to do it again with our daughter! At the time, we worried if it would spoil some of the Magic at her age. Now that she is older, I really think she would enjoy it.
Of all the adventures we have done, this 1 had the most little surprises and extra things that were not included on the itinerary we were given.

We came in early on arrival and stayed at the same hotel. We also do not like to deal with renting cars, or in general driving around on vacation if we can avoid it. So we stuck to things that are within walking distance. Luckily in this area, there is actually quite a bit to do. After arrival and check-in with our adventure guides, we walked over to Runyon Canyon and hiked there. There are tons of restaurants within walking distance so we found a poke place for lunch.
It sounds like you might be looking for a bit more than we did, but I really loved this adventure. We did an adult only and I think we will try to do it again with our daughter! At the time, we worried if it would spoil some of the Magic at her age. Now that she is older, I really think she would enjoy it.
Of all the adventures we have done, this 1 had the most little surprises and extra things that were not included on the itinerary we were given.
That sounds wonderful! I’m so excited about this adventure and really hope things get back to normal soon. I’m a little worried since Disney has cancelled all their adventures for Southern California this year. I first planned to do ABD when my son was 5 but never happened because of Covid. He will be 8 already next year if and when we actually go to this adventure and think he would really appreciate it now.

Yes we have no plans of driving so we will most likely user uber or Lyft to get around. I think I’m decided on getting there Friday night, spending the day at Universal Hollywood and doing the WB tour on Saturday then on Sunday, my plan is to do to La Brea Tar pits museum, farmers market and Santa Monica before the ABD dinner 😅

Does anyone know if there is a way to make ADRs via ABD? I'm doing one of the Spring 2022 trips for Disneyland and I'm curious about booking some sit-down meals during the "eat on your own" days.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make ADRs via ABD? I'm doing one of the Spring 2022 trips for Disneyland and I'm curious about booking some sit-down meals during the "eat on your own" days.
In the past it hasn't been an option. However, I'd talk to your adventure guide early in the trip to ask. They may be able to make some magic for you.

I wonder what will happen now that FastPass is becoming Genie/Genie+. It used to be you were given Multi-Experience FastPasses to use during the trip. Hopefully someone who goes on a trip sometime in 2022 can report back on what the situation is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter