Sorcerer pass wirh no blue card?

But, that is the point. People are not getting this without providing something from DVC…they are providing a digital card with a DVC number…

The only way for a CM to give someone something with the FL rate is to not ask for any proof at all.

So, the chances of them staying would not be the same.
That was the specific point of my last paragraph. Either annual pass discounts (resident or DVC) can be given at a CM's discretion without any documentation (which would lead to issues with any type of discount), or proof of eligibility for the discount is required. In the case of DVC, it is the latter. A card (either digital or physical) must be presented.

As I said originally, in Anaheim, residency is determined and verified in the system via zip code. The CM's can't make a "mistake", or be "poorly trained". I used residency as an example, only because for California ticketing it's a number typed into the computer and that's it. Just like a membership number. There is zero reason why a ticketing CM can't be required to physically enter the membership number into the system and leave it to the system to determine eligibility. The systems are already linked.

My point in referencing the Florida resident discount was simply to point out that poor TRAINING would logically not be selective. If CM's were not following proper training protocol in verifying one type of discount, however that discount is determined, then it would follow that they would be similarly poorly trained in other types of discounts (what they do or don't need to see, who is eligible and why, etc.), and I am curious as to whether there are reports of screw ups in issuing Florida resident discounts as well. From a training perspective.

I'm just not buying the "its new/badly trained CM's behind it all" argument.

Last edited:
Agree with
I am so glad you were able to get the passes. I have always felt the tiering in resales was unfair. Hopefully this benefit will remain available to white and blue card holders.

I have always believed Disney’s Magic is different than their Extras based on my welcome letter.

As a resales/direct buyer, I have always had the Magic and can be considered an eligible member depending on whether the cast member is giving Extra or Magic That is loosely defined apparently and can in this case help more people go to Disney affordably which we want. In my opinion, less gatekeeping based on semantics is a good thing. If Disney gives more to customers in this area, it’s a win and a sign of moving forward. If compliance and retraining is requested, that is another barrier for us all and a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

That was the specific point of my last paragraph. Either annual pass discounts (resident or DVC) can be given at a CM's discretion without any documentation (which would lead to issues with any type of discount), or proof of eligibility for the discount is required. In the case of DVC, it is the latter. A card (either digital or physical) must be presented.

As I said originally, in Anaheim, residency is determined and verified in the system via zip code. The CM's can't make a "mistake", or be "poorly trained". I used residency as an example, only because for California ticketing it's a number typed into the computer and that's it. Just like a membership number. There is zero reason why a ticketing CM can't be required to physically enter the membership number into the system and leave it to the system to determine eligibility. The systems are already linked.

My point in referencing the Florida resident discount was simply to point out that poor TRAINING would logically not be selective. If CM's were not following proper training protocol in verifying one type of discount, however that discount is determined, then it would follow that they would be similarly poorly trained in other types of discounts (what they do or don't need to see, who is eligible and why, etc.), and I am curious as to whether there are reports of screw ups in issuing Florida resident discounts as well. From a training perspective.

I'm just not buying the "its new/badly trained CM's behind it all" argument.
There are very few official documents that are rejected in order to show residency. Probably not enough people using those documents in order to make a proper comparison.

There are very few official documents that are rejected in order to show residency. Probably not enough people using those documents in order to make a proper comparison.
I completely understand. It was never an apples to apples comparison, more a curious aside regarding the relative training. As to the keying of membership numbers into the system to determine eligibility, that's my real point.

Last edited:
Agree with

I have always believed Disney’s Magic is different than their Extras based on my welcome letter.

As a resales/direct buyer, I have always had the Magic and can be considered an eligible member depending on whether the cast member is giving Extra or Magic That is loosely defined apparently and can in this case help more people go to Disney affordably which we want. In my opinion, less gatekeeping based on semantics is a good thing. If Disney gives more to customers in this area, it’s a win and a sign of moving forward. If compliance and retraining is requested, that is another barrier for us all and a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

But JETSDAD is correct. The DVC Annual Pass web page referenced very clearly states:
To purchase the Disney Sorcerer Pass, Disney Vacation Club Members must be eligible for Membership Extras. Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective June 3, 2021, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 150 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will not have access to Membership Extras.

It's pretty unambiguous.

Disney World Annual Passes

Well, that first line in that particular piece is pretty straightforward but is not stated as such in many other places AP is advertised without it. Also I have a digital Disney Vacation Club Membership Card and I do not meet the criteria listed in the same passage so yah chosen language is a barrier there too.

So if I own a condo in florida but do not live there, I can get the Florida rate. This might work for us.
Yes- as long as you can show proof with one of the accepted documents. 👍 This can actually be harder than you might think- like in my parents case, where some of these bills go directly to the HOA- not them! & other bills were just in my dad’s name. They had to jump through a few hoops just so my mom would qualify for the discounts too!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/proof-florida-address/
My question was whether or not similar "issues" are arising with Florida resident discounts, regardless of what proof is required. Are ticketing CM's straying from policy regarding who they give resident discounts to, and at what frequency?
I am not a FL resident, but do qualify for residency. In my family’s experience, nothing has changed on the FL resident side. We’ve all had several opportunities to pick up tickets & AP renewals, post covid. If you have a FL ID, you can skip the counter and verify your residency online- you ONLY need to go to GS if you aren’t a true FL resident (which means every CM knows we need to prove ourselves as soon as we walk up the window). Anyway, every person over 18 (inc. my daughter) was asked for proof every time- the only variation from policy is that I don’t think they really check the date on the documents (but I don’t feel like they ever did that consistently before either! 😉). There has been zero change. (Sorry, @Sandisw 😆)

It does make you wonder why as they were pretty strict when it came to the Gold pass. So what changed on ticketing’s end?

Question how many people are still around in Ticketing, at the activation locations, that were there in 2019? It could be that they are strict its just that no one in that group knows and Parks isn't that worried about being quick to react to DVC.

Additionally this might be what is happening: (this is just my take on what could be happening)
  • Announcement and everyone thinks its the same
  • Someone sees they can buy it as a white card
  • Word starts to spread
  • DVC call center gets the information of people purchasing that shouldn't
  • DVC call center gets so many calls about their friend getting but not them or those white card members getting it when they shouldn't
  • They compile the "list of issues" for the week and realize this is being brought up so they give it to a director
  • Director has a call with their Director/VP but its not until next week they review non immediate issues
  • Director/VP gets it and actions it to talk to Parks
  • They talk to the Director/VP of Parks about the ticket redemption issue
  • Parks now puts it in some large huge document of updates/changes of things needing to be addressed with all the other issues that are coming up from the new AP system
  • Call center CMs likely are getting information and reading information more readily about updates (so now they change their response)
  • Finally the park CMs start to get feedback they need to stop activating cards incorrectly
  • Issue is now Park CMs don't know how to query the DVC database so there is now another 3-4 day gap before they get that information

There is zero reason why a ticketing CM can't be required to physically enter the membership number into the system and leave it to the system to determine eligibility. The systems are already linked.

I don't think they ever were linked.

There are tons of system optimizations that likely could be done that unfortunately are not. Example you shouldn't even need to enter the anything the system already has your profile so you should just be able to tap your phone or magic band. Its also how discounts should work as well where you always tap your magic band or phone and it takes whatever discounts you qualify for off.

That is loosely defined

Its all defined in the Disclosure. If you are only a resale owner you might not be able to get to it so I will post the latest one (be aware its been updated like 5 times since the start of the pandemic).

Magic is not defined because Magic is the marketing verbiage for Extras. If someone believes different point me to why you believe that as even the Magic webpage lists the Extras qualification requirement at the bottom and talks about Blue Card download (when not being logged in even).

Attachments

• MEADS_6-3-2021.pdf
    314.1 KB · Views: 13
You are probably right! I appreciate your linked sources. It won’t open from my phone but I know what you are talking about and will check it out later.

Oh and I am direct and resale not only resale. So the welcome letter I’m referring to came from one or the other one purchases. I read it differently.

Last edited:

There are tons of system optimizations that likely could be done that unfortunately are not. Example you shouldn't even need to enter the anything the system already has your profile so you should just be able to tap your phone or magic band. Its also how discounts should work as well where you always tap your magic band or phone and it takes whatever discounts you qualify for off.
I bring that up only as an example because the TapStyles are obviously linked to your reservation, which is in turn linked to your DVC membership. Otherwise, you wouldn't have primary members getting the purple welcome home ring when associate members on the same reservation get the standard green ring. Even if it's not THAT closely linked, there is zero reason why it can't be. Also, EMH is tied to your reservation and access is tied to your on-site hotel reservation. The TapStyle just reads the RFID chip, obviously it doesn't know where you are staying, or anything else for that matter. but, if they can tie all of those systems together, I don't see why a simple task of linking your membership to the purchase of the pass would prove onerous (other than ANY IT task for Disney appears to be onerous).

Again, I only bring this up because if ticketing, admissions, DVC and hotel reservations can be linked to make your TapStyle turn that sweet sweet purple, there's no reason why a cast member sitting in a ticket office or booth, with full access to a computer terminal linked to the ticketing system, can't be required to physically enter (or scan a bar code or QR code or whatever) a member number into the purchase screen and verify it's you by requesting your ID.

That's all.

Last edited:

When I was at Biergarten and had forgotten my actual Disney Visa Card (they can't use Apple Pay in the wallet) our waitress came back and said, oh you are DVC and gave me 10% off on the Magic Band.

When I was at Biergarten and had forgotten my actual Disney Visa Card (they can't use Apple Pay in the wallet) our waitress came back and said, oh you are DVC and gave me 10% off on the Magic Band.
I had the same occur (different restaurant) when I was renting DVC. My guess is just that it shows the type of reservation the person is staying on.

I had the same occur (different restaurant) when I was renting DVC. My guess is just that it shows the type of reservation the person is staying on.
Right, and all I'm saying is if the systems are linked to the point that the ticketing/admissions system at least knows the type of reservation you are staying on (and they all dump data into MDE as well), then when a warm blooded human being desperately wants to sell you that Golden Ticket (oops, Sorcerer Pass), the system should at least be able to verify the level of DVC membership.

I guess an analogy would be when you are given a student ID number in college. When you go to the student union or bookstore, they can (and usually will) enter your ID number to verify you are a current student. The kid at the register can't tell that your transaction was denied due to outstanding tuition/fees, and he can't access your grades, he just knows you can't rent that BlueRay of Phanton Menace to get your Jar-Jar Binks fix.

Last edited:
Right, and all I'm saying is if the systems are linked to the point that the ticketing/admissions system at least knows the type of reservation you are staying on (and they all dump data into MDE as well), then when a warm blooded human being desperately wants to sell you that Golden Ticket (oops, Sorcerer Pass), the system should be at least be able to verify the level of DVC membership.
I agree...they should be able to do that and then just require ID to verify it's the correct person.

I'm surprised the systems aren't somehow linked. The CM that sold me the Sorcerer's Pass over the phone asked me for my membership ID, so I assumed he entered it into some system.

Who knows. Guess I'll find out in 43 days.

I'm surprised the systems aren't somehow linked. The CM that sold me the Sorcerer's Pass over the phone asked me for my membership ID, so I assumed he entered it into some system.

Kinda where I'm headed.

mine asked me for my number and said he had to VERIFY with DVC, after a few minutes he said DVC said I am ineligible. I am guessing some CM's are skipping that verification?

Latest posts

facebook twitter