• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Some FP+ Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Some committee somewhere has got to be quaking in their boots anticipating the guest
complaints when things go wrong with this unstable behemoth.)

And I will be first in line if this goes like I think it will! Perhaps they will offer FP+ for Guest Relations to lodge complaints.:rolleyes1

But I wasn't about to read all 10 pages. Last I heard FP+ was still in trial stages. Any word on an official start date?:worship:

But I wasn't about to read all 10 pages. Last I heard FP+ was still in trial stages. Any word on an official start date?:worship:

Nope.

Rest assured, if and when they DO announce a start date, you won't have to wade through any pages to
find out.

It will be in the Title of multiple threads. ;)

~Thanks for the update. I just can't wait for fastpass+!!!!

Maybe there will be some sort of penalty if FP+'s are being regularly booked and going unused.

It is relatively easy to deal with FP+ reservations "going unused". If the ticket to which the reservation is tied has not gone through the turnstile, the reservation can be canceled and redistributed.

On another note, I had a nice online chat with a CM "info engineer" on the WDW site today. I was pressing for any details I could get from them on FP+ and its inception date. First he "officially" told me that there is no date yet for full roll-out, but sometime this year.

He then "unofficially" added that he was pretty sure it would not be generally available for my dates in late April.

Take it for what it's worth. I also felt like I knew more about MDE and FP+ than he did, but who knows? :confused3

It is relatively easy to deal with FP+ reservations "going unused". If the ticket to which the reservation is tied has not gone through the turnstile, the reservation can be canceled and redistributed.

But when would this happen? 2 hours, 30 minutes or 5 minutes before the start of your return window or 2 hours, 30 minutes or 5 minutes before the end of your time window. And if it is at the end of your time window would it not be too late to add that FP back into the system if they can only handle so many per hour?

I also wonder what will happen if you don't show up. Will it be given back to you or do it you lose it for that day. If someone with an AP can make 3 or 4 for every day without anything happening if they don't show up, there may be many that would do so on the chance they may be able to go. Or our family that has a 10 day NE. We only plan on going to the parks for 3 days this year and will be staying off-site. But with my ticket I could tie up FP+'s for 10 days so I would have more options when I got to Disney. With the old system, I could only tie up and/or use FP's on days I actually entered the park making every morning a level playing field for all that wish to visit that park for that day.

But when would this happen? 2 hours, 30 minutes or 5 minutes before the start of your return window or 2 hours, 30 minutes or 5 minutes before the end of your time window. And if it is at the end of your time window would it not be too late to add that FP back into the system if they can only handle so many per hour?

I also wonder what will happen if you don't show up. Will it be given back to you or do it you lose it for that day. If someone with an AP can make 3 or 4 for every day without anything happening if they don't show up, there may be many that would do so on the chance they may be able to go. Or our family that has a 10 day NE. We only plan on going to the parks for 3 days this year and will be staying off-site. But with my ticket I could tie up FP+'s for 10 days so I would have more options when I got to Disney. With the old system, I could only tie up and/or use FP's on days I actually entered the park making every morning a level playing field for all that wish to visit that park for that day.

Even 5 minutes before the reservation is enough to get it gobbled up...

Since Robo hasn't said it yet, I will. Just leave the FP system, the heck, alone.

Even 5 minutes before the reservation is enough to get it gobbled up...

But the fact that the slot eventually gets used does not prevent AP holders from booking many slots over and over throughout the year on the off chance they might use them, just to have them in case the weather is nice and they decide to head for the parks. It really could mess with the system in a big way. I suppose they could put a limit like not allowing them to hold more than X days worth at a time????? Otherwise it will turn into the ADR system, pre CC hold.

But the fact that the slot eventually gets used does not prevent AP holders from booking many slots over and over throughout the year on the off chance they might use them, just to have them in case the weather is nice and they decide to head for the parks. It really could mess with the system in a big way. I suppose they could put a limit like not allowing them to hold more than X days worth at a time????? Otherwise it will turn into the ADR system, pre CC hold.

Again, the patent application for the system mentioned that the system will be set up so that if a guest isn't using their appointment times, they are "punished" by not being allowed to make more appointments in the future. I'm sure that wouldn't be indefinite, but this system is collecting massive amounts of information about each guest that is going to allow them to build models to predict who is and isn't going to use their appointment times. It's like actuarial science, but for amusement parks. The patent application talks about the ability for Disney to create customized touring plans for each guest, based on a ton of information, including information collected from the guest, and guest behavior during prior visits. It also talks about freeing up spots on rides and in shows if data indicates that a guest is going to miss an appointment time. Remember with all this, Disney will be tracking your location in the park with its RFID scanners. If you have a 12:00 appointment for Space but you're standing in the queue of Splash at 11:50, they know that you're going to miss your Space appointment and will "release" it, which then free up a spot to standby rider, or will allow the Guest Management System to send a notification to another guest who has a Space appointment at 12:30 but is exiting Buzz at 11:50 that--SURPRISE! They get to get in the line early.

Like I said, the patent applications are fascinating and paint the picture of a much more dynamic system than I had imagined. I think the problem is that we are so married to the current FP system that it's hard to imagine something that's so radically different. This isn't going to be just FP with a fancy bracelet, or FP with the ability to make ride reservations ahead of time, but a whole new crowd control system that is going to change the way guests experience the park. That is, if the system actually does what the Imagineers have imagined it will do. ;)

Are you only eligible for fastpass plus if you book your room directly through Disney? I just found a good rate through a third party online.

I just don't see how this is going to work for first time guests. No matter how smart disney's technology is, it won't be able to predict whether or not a 6 year old girl will want to ride BTMRR once she actually sees it in person. Part of the fun of disney is discovering things at the parks. It's why we surprise our loved ones with trips or special magical extras. It's why we love the little bit of pixie dust that CMs sometimes create. It's bad enough that you can't satisfy a craving for cheddar soup that develops as you walk past Le Cellier on a cool evening. I would hate to see that happen to attractions as well.

Are you only eligible for fastpass plus if you book your room directly through Disney? I just found a good rate through a third party online.

It appears that FP+ will be available for ALL guests.

It appears that FP+ will be available for ALL guests.

Sorry, I'm playing catch-up with all the fastpass+ information. I guess I was asking about the ability to pre-choose online ahead of time. I thought that was only for on-property guests. Everyone else will receive an rfid card upon admission and do their selections same day, right? I'm so confused!!!

We are actually staying on-property at Universal (shhh!!!) and driving in to MK a couple of days to see the new fantasyland. My boy is 14 now and prefers Universal at this point.

I was thinking it would be worth doing a split-stay if fastpass+ is already in place. I would feel like we were at a disadvantage showing up without any ride fastpasses, when all the on-property guests were stocked and pre-loaded so to speak. I really don't get how this will be fair to the masses staying off Disney property.

AustinTink said:
Sorry, I'm playing catch-up with all the fastpass+ information. I guess I was asking about the ability to pre-choose online ahead of time. I thought that was only for on-property guests. Everyone else will receive an rfid card upon admission and do their selections same day, right? I'm so confused!!!

Of course like everything on this thread, nothing is known for sure until it is fully implemented and even then it is subject to change.

That said, based on the info that has been leaked all guests would receive 3 (or possibly 4) FP+ that they can pre-choose, up to 60 days in advance. It shouldn't matter if you are on property or not. Now will be the case when it is when FP+ is up and running for all, who knows?

These threads are like car accidents, you don't want to see what's in them, but you click anyways! :)

I just don't see how this is going to work for first time guests. No matter how smart disney's technology is, it won't be able to predict whether or not a 6 year old girl will want to ride BTMRR once she actually sees it in person. Part of the fun of disney is discovering things at the parks. It's why we surprise our loved ones with trips or special magical extras. It's why we love the little bit of pixie dust that CMs sometimes create. It's bad enough that you can't satisfy a craving for cheddar soup that develops as you walk past Le Cellier on a cool evening. I would hate to see that happen to attractions as well.

I guess I don't see how that's any different from the way things are now? The 6 year old's distaste for roller coasters won't necessarily stop her parents from running off for FPs as soon as they get into the park. They might think that by the time their return time rolls around, the child will be open to riding it.

It actually has potential to give those people more options, because there is supposed to be room for them to cancel and/or change FPs based on the availability at the time. If you get a FP now, you're stuck with it no matter what. Yeah, it may be frustrating to plan out your "perfect" day 60 days in advance and have something change it once you get to the park, but that's pretty much a guarantee when you travel with kids anyways.

These threads are like car accidents, you don't want to see what's in them, but you click anyways! :)

:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter