Snake in my suitcase at POP Century

I'm still reeling that someone said snakes were ON Tom Sawyer island....as in...INSIDE the park! :scared:

I've seen them there on more than one occasion (black racers every time). It's in the middle of water, there's lots of trees and cool places for them to hide... a perfect place to find them.

We was at the Beach club in June. Quite pool area had two snakes around it! And we reported them not once, not twice , not three times but 4 times and about 3 and half hours later someone shows up to take " care" of them. They were not poisonous but could of still bitten someone who stepped on them! I am not scared of snakes but still gave me the webbie Jebbies when they only caught one because the other fellow decided to take a hike in the grass area outside our room. Just because they are not poisonous doesnt mean they don't bite!

I hate it when people remind me its florida. I saw a snake in my backyard here in the northeast and i still ran screaming like a fool into the house. Doesnt matter where i see them. They petrify me.
Saw a anaconda...i mean a atleast 4ft black racer slither into the bushes right in front of the room at pofq. I was hanging out on the rail on 2nd floor n it came from the pool area to the bushes. Man... i ran thru that area when i had to. And was glad i wasnt in that room!
Saw a huge alligator hanging out sunning itself by one of those ponds coming out of animal kingdom. That was very very cool.
I do enjoy fla wildlife...at a distance ;)
The snakes...not at all.
I think that resort where the child was bit was at carribean beach. I remember reading that right before we stayed there.

I hate it when people remind me its florida. I saw a snake in my backyard here in the northeast and i still ran screaming like a fool into the house. Doesnt matter where i see them. They petrify me.
Saw a anaconda...i mean a atleast 4ft black racer slither into the bushes right in front of the room at pofq. I was hanging out on the rail on 2nd floor n it came from the pool area to the bushes. Man... i ran thru that area when i had to. And was glad i wasnt in that room!
Saw a huge alligator hanging out sunning itself by one of those ponds coming out of animal kingdom. That was very very cool.
I do enjoy fla wildlife...at a distance ;)
The snakes...not at all.
I think that resort where the child was bit was at carribean beach. I remember reading that right before we stayed there.

I think that the resort where the child was bitten was Pop Century. I also hate it when people say "It's Florida. You can expect to see snakes." I do think that Disney can do a better job controlling the population of snakes around the property. I just don't like the idea that it's Florida so you just have to share your vacation with a snake. I live near New Orleans. When visitors get shot or robbed, we don't say "Well, you decided to vacation in New Orleans. You should have known you'll get shot or robbed at least once."

What fresh heck is this?!?! Why did I not stop the second I saw the word snakes! For the love of pete, i'll never get to sleep there now.

I think that the resort where the child was bitten was Pop Century. I also hate it when people say "It's Florida. You can expect to see snakes." I do think that Disney can do a better job controlling the population of snakes around the property. I just don't like the idea that it's Florida so you just have to share your vacation with a snake. I live near New Orleans. When visitors get shot or robbed, we don't say "Well, you decided to vacation in New Orleans. You should have known you'll get shot or robbed at least once."

I have to agree with PP, I think it was CBR.

I thought those were rat trap boxes...maybe it was snake traps...Ewww !!

Ok - so what do these traps look like? I guess I have never noticed them!

And it was CBR. B/c we stayed there just a few weeks after I read that post and I was the hysterical mom who wouldn't let my kids step even a centimeter off the sidewalk, and about had a heart attack each time we walked by bushes.

But realize Disney World is a nature preserve. That's why I was surprised when the Cast Member killed the non-venomous snake that started this whole thread. Disney will usually just relocate the animal to another location not so close to humans. However, animals tend to move around quite a bit so they'll be back.

At least the OP said the Cast Member realized he shouldn't have killed the snake since it wasn't venomous.

That is like saying someone visits the bayou, and complains about the gators, and you agree they should be better managed.

Reducing the snake population would mean an increase in rats and mice and other really icky things. Not a trade off I would want to make.

Not to mention, there have been 2 problems with snakes reported over the last how many years? Seems they do a good enough job of handling them already.

That is like saying someone visits the bayou, and complains about the gators, and you agree they should be better managed.

Reducing the snake population would mean an increase in rats and mice and other really icky things. Not a trade off I would want to make.

Not to mention, there have been 2 problems with snakes reported over the last how many years? Seems they do a good enough job of handling them already.

Despite my fears, I agree. It was built on a swamp-what can you do? But I could never, ever, live in Florida for this reason.

We just returned from 11 days in the Happiest Place on Earth! Saw LOTs of wildlife this trip including:

A Large Hawk at POR
A Small Gator at POR
A Medium Snake at BC near International Gateway
Lots of lizards, bunnies, birds, ducks, etc

We've seen a few different creatures at WDW:

--A rat at Pop.
--A snake at Pop.
--A snake in the TL lazy river...the "lazy river" became the "run and scream for your life river":scared1:
--Two alligators in the Rivers of America

I would have died to find a snake in my room!

I have requested a first floor patio in November during our stay at the Poly, never even crossed my mind to watch out for snakes but surely will be on the lookout after seeing this tread now. :scared1:

My dd saw a large black snake at the BC, near the main doors that go out to the pool. I was taking a picture and she went to sit on the planters in the middle, and there is was.

I there a time of year when snakes are more or less active? Are you more apt to see them in the winter (cold) or summer (hot)?

Oh my...I am so afraid of snakes and we are going to POP in August. I am so THANKFUL I requested not to have a ground level room. Please no snakes in my room or anywhere near it!!!!

I there a time of year when snakes are more or less active? Are you more apt to see them in the winter (cold) or summer (hot)?

much more likely to see them in summer. they usually don't hibernate in the winter in the south, especially in florida where it doesn't get very cold, but they are a lot less active (it's called "brumation") and will sometimes come out on sunny/warmer days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter