Snake in my suitcase at POP Century

No, I'm not kidding.

On our third night, I found a 10" or so snake in my suitcase, which I had by the window near the door wide open (note- never doing that again, regardless of the location). We were on the ground floor in building 5 (60s) facing the water. I'm guessing it either snuck in while mousekeeping was cleaning, or got in through the outside vent.

I called the front desk and they sent a crew to come kill it, and we were able to move rooms and get 1 night comp'd. The manager was great and in the heat of the moment I just wanted it resolved. The crew initially thought it was the poisonous Colorado snake but it was just a corn snake. Still... a snake... in my suitcase at Disney World. Not exactly magical.

I'm posting this just as an FYI - ground floor/water view are really nice but I'll never request it again.

Just curious... has anyone else had this or something similar happen?

oh my god. :scared1: we're staying at pop in september... i'm going to be SOOO PARANOID.

yes it's the south, but you still shouldn't have to worry about snakes in your luggage. i live in the south... we see snakes sometimes.... I STILL HATE THEM!! a couple of years ago my mom had a snake in her kitchen. i have friends who have found them in their laundry rooms too. just the thought makes my skin crawl.

:hug: Sorry that you had a scary experience. I too would have freaked.

However, snakes are not vermin. Most snakes are very beneficial to humans as they eat mice, rats, bugs, etc. I honestly hope they checked what kind of snake it was before randomly killing it. If it was an invasive species then yes killing it is a good idea, but a garter snake or the like needs to be let loose back into the wild. :goodvibes As someone else said, I'd rather find a snake than a palmetto bug any day!

I asked the OP a few posts ago if she saw the snake being killed as Disney will usually remove the non-venomous ones and relocate to a less populated area. And I believe the OP said it was determined not to be a venomous one. So I'm waiting for confirmation the snake was really killed. Doesn't seem to be Disney's style to kill a harmless animal that is just part of the circle of life. Humans being scared of them doesn't make them harmful.

I am going to be requesting a top floor after this post, and I like snakes, but I draw the line of having them in my suitcase! I also put my suitcase on one of those racks, because it is harder for bugs to make their way in then if you put your suitcase on the ground... That wouldn't keep the snake out of under your bed though!!

Disney did kill the snake because the guys thought it was poisonous. The snake was aggressive and did lurch initially. It was red/orange in color but turned out to be "just" a corn snake... They guys did say something to the effect of... aww, it's just a corn snake, now I feel bad for killing it. Still shivering as I think about it.

Disney did kill the snake because the guys thought it was poisonous. The snake was aggressive and did lurch initially. It was red/orange in color but turned out to be "just" a corn snake... They guys did say something to the effect of... aww, it's just a corn snake, now I feel bad for killing it. Still shivering as I think about it.

They may have assumed it was a venomous coral snake. But I think they probably should have known better -- JMHO. The coral snake is the only non pit viper venomous snake that lives anywhere near the area. I don't mind snakes: however, having one in my suitcase at any time -- venomous or nonvenomous -- would go over like a turd in a punch bowl with me. I'm glad Disney took care of you. Pretty shocking.

I saw the pictures of the snake at the CR a few years ago. It made a nest and laid eggs on the top of a curtain rod in a 2nd floor room. It was probably there a while before being noticed. It was one of those black racer snakes.

They can most certainly slither up walls.

P.S. We saw a large black snake just outside where you scan your tickets to enter the park last April. I called someone over and they just "pushed" it into the bushes saying it was harmless.

I saw the pictures of the snake at the CR a few years ago. It made a nest and laid eggs on the top of a curtain rod in a 2nd floor room. It was probably there a while before being noticed. It was one of those black racer snakes.

They can most certainly slither up walls.

P.S. We saw a large black snake just outside where you scan your tickets to enter the park last April. I called someone over and they just "pushed" it into the bushes saying it was harmless.

They eat tons of rodents so they're really beneficial and harmless. However, having one in the room is awful and disgusting.

On a similar note to why snakes are beneficial, I have a story from my visit to the Poly in June. I was walking on the path along the pool headed towards the beach. My son had already scampered ahead and my husband was just slightly ahead of me. It was about 8:45 p.m. and there were plenty of people around. I felt something scamper across my foot and hit me in the shin. I screamed and my husband turned around and wondered what was up. I never saw anything but definitely felt it. A lady walking near by actually saw it. I said please tell me that was one of the ducks. She replied that she didn't know what it was but it definitely was NOT one of the ducks. It basically went from the bushes on one side of the sidewalk to the other hitting me on the way. We were very close to both the beach and the volcano pool. I was left to envision some ghastly rodentia. It's not a good thought. I wish a snake had eaten it before it "met" me.

I was hoping that there is a picture of the snake in your suitcase for you to share with us. Can you imagine bring that thing home with you without even knowing it! :eek:

This all seems like a lot of hysterics in my humble opinion, and "send someone to kill it?" What did it ever do to you except get you a free night? Sheesh, and sheesh again. Catch and release is a more humane way for them to have handled this. Maybe Disney needs a new ride- It's Tough to be a Snake, and at the end of the ride, all the snakes get slaughtered.

I'm completely 100% terrified of snakes. If I saw that, I would have a major panic attack. A few weeks ago, I was signing for a package and I happened to see a garter snake slither across my front lawn. I freaked and had a panic attack. It took me quite a while to calm down. My chest hurt, my heart was pounding and I was hyperventilating.:scared1:

Have you sought help for this? I'm not being sarcastic. I am prone to panic attacks and they are no joke.

aaarcher86 said:
$10 says you get stripped searched when you check that! Full latex glove style!

Lol that's what hairspray and a bbq lighter are for ;-)

Snakes don't bother me but I admit I scream like a little school girl at bugs. And since scorpions are nothing more than a hybrid wasp/spider/nightmare combination any sighting is an act of war lol.

Awful! I'm not too surprised though. I have heard of other people in ground floor rooms that get the little lizards in their room. Mousekeeping keeps the doors propped open when they clean so the resorts with exterior corridors are prone to this. I've also heard of love bugs getting in due to this too if you are travelling during that season - and that can happen on any floor!

We have seen snakes at Blizzard Beach, Coronado Springs, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom (in the wild, not on display)....NOT pleasant, but thanks to my morbid curiousity and reading these snake threads (yes, there are other threads on snakes, avoid!), now I am looking all the time.

Not afraid of anything else, including spiders, but no likey snakes!

We had a huge toad in our room at POFQ, that's about it. But now we mostly stay at Pop - yikes!!

I never get ground floor for this reason. OMG I read a trip report and they had stayed at POR and they had a frog in there room. So now I never request any floor. I do ask for lake view but if they gave me bottom floor I would ask for something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter