Slow Dave Ramsey Success

sdoll

DIS Veteran
I wanted to share our very slow not so Dave Ramsey but guided by his principals success. This is not to brag simply a reminder that it works. I read Dave's book probably 15 years ago. It blew me away and while i would love to say we were gazelle we weren't we were flat out stupid! We traveled, took many trips to Disney and lived in the moment with our kids. In 2015 it became very obvious that we were in trouble. BIG trouble. I am to embarrassed to admit how big of trouble we were in. So we hunkered down, had back to back job loses and managed to keep our heads above water and since we loved to experience life with our kids we still traveled. You will see many trips to Disney on my signature. Don't worry we only did the water parks, my sister has a time share at Bonnet Creek and we buy points off of her. We were able to get the Disney experience on a significant budget and ate all the meals in our room yet had the best time with our family. 2018 brought on a new opportunity for me in my career and with that a sizable increase in pay. By this time we were so close to killing all our stupid debt. My youngest son has dyslexia and we were struggling in public schools. We did some research and found a private school that so many parents with kids with dyslexia recommended. We were all blown away.. but the expense was massive. We hunkered down some more, did the envelope system (only with multiple fee free accounts) and we have managed to save almost half the cost of his tuition in 4 months. We have decided that next year we can start our oldest in the private school too. because we have been saving!! Saving!! You heard me, saving a word that were never in our vocabulary! This month we cash flowed a new roof, paid half of the cost of braces (HSA deductions will pay the other half) and still have money in our buckets. We will be a year ahead of tuition for our boys by christmas. It works, it really does! Thanks for tipping me off to Dave years ago!

I wanted to share our very slow not so Dave Ramsey but guided by his principals success. This is not to brag simply a reminder that it works. I read Dave's book probably 15 years ago. It blew me away and while i would love to say we were gazelle we weren't we were flat out stupid! We traveled, took many trips to Disney and lived in the moment with our kids. In 2015 it became very obvious that we were in trouble. BIG trouble. I am to embarrassed to admit how big of trouble we were in. So we hunkered down, had back to back job loses and managed to keep our heads above water and since we loved to experience life with our kids we still traveled. You will see many trips to Disney on my signature. Don't worry we only did the water parks, my sister has a time share at Bonnet Creek and we buy points off of her. We were able to get the Disney experience on a significant budget and ate all the meals in our room yet had the best time with our family. 2018 brought on a new opportunity for me in my career and with that a sizable increase in pay. By this time we were so close to killing all our stupid debt. My youngest son has dyslexia and we were struggling in public schools. We did some research and found a private school that so many parents with kids with dyslexia recommended. We were all blown away.. but the expense was massive. We hunkered down some more, did the envelope system (only with multiple fee free accounts) and we have managed to save almost half the cost of his tuition in 4 months. We have decided that next year we can start our oldest in the private school too. because we have been saving!! Saving!! You heard me, saving a word that were never in our vocabulary! This month we cash flowed a new roof, paid half of the cost of braces (HSA deductions will pay the other half) and still have money in our buckets. We will be a year ahead of tuition for our boys by christmas. It works, it really does! Thanks for tipping me off to Dave years ago!

Love a good Dave story! Congratulations and kudos! Thanks for sharing!

Dave's program is excellent for getting out of debt and getting yourself on track financially. Congrats to you! I know it must feel fantastic! I'm whittling away at just a little more debt myself and have gotten to the point where I'm not paycheck-to-paycheck. I've been fortunate enough to be able to take some Disney trips over the past few years with very careful budgeting and strategies involving credit card rewards (now that I know not to carry credit card balances and to instead use them to MAKE money!). I'll be taking next year off from Disney to do some serious saving as well as updates to my home and property. Hoping by late 2021 I'll have a nice Disney fund in place for a good trip.

It's weird, because Disney is so expensive, but my desire to visit WDW is what kicked my butt into gear and made me start taking control of my finances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter