Skipper Canteen (Jungle Cruise themed restaurant) updates and ADR watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
The full name of the restaurant is Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen. That's a mouthful! I've been looking under both J and S on the dining page.
As the list of table service locations in the Magic Kingdom includes only eight restaurants, finding the new restaurant when it goes live should be pretty easy. When the top of the page changes from "8 restaurants" to "9 restaurants", that will be the big red flag.

As the list of table service locations in the Magic Kingdom includes only eight restaurants, finding the new restaurant when it goes live should be pretty easy. When the top of the page changes from "8 restaurants" to "9 restaurants", that will be the big red flag.

but it's more fun to scroll, lol. I honestly never look under specific parks, though it would be easier, I guess.

Typically, no. You have to be invited. The mechanism for the invite varies significantly from open to open.
Not all of the time. A lot of soft openings at restaurants allow walk ups. The Boathouse allowed walkups during their opening prior to ADRs.

but it's more fun to scroll, lol. I honestly never look under specific parks, though it would be easier, I guess.
Very easy. You just check the box for MK, and then for "reservations accepted". Once you've done this, that page will be in your browsing history, so all you do next time is to start typing "e..s..e..r..v..a..t..i.." and the page should pop up in your address bar. Hit return and there you are.

How does a soft opening work? Do you just walk in?
We were fortunate enough to dine at BOG during its soft opening a few years ago. We were talking to one of the CMs in the area, who suggested that we check back the next day -- because she heard the chef was eager to get things moving. Sure enough, we checked back the next day and they were taking reservations for dinner that evening! So we booked our dinner a couple of hours in advance and had an amazing experience. It was so magical to be among the first to eat there! So I encourage people to "lurk around" in the coming days. You may get lucky!!!

Looks like 2 more menu items revealed:

"Falls Family Falafel" and
"Sugar Crusted Congee Pudding"

Also news on the 3 dining rooms. They are called and themed:

"The Mess Hall"
"The Jungle Room (aka the Falls Family Parlor)" and,
"The S.E.A. Room (the once-secret meeting place for members of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers)"

So far, both entrees introduced are vegetarian friendly (tofu pho and falafel). So excited!

"The Mess Hall"
"The S.E.A. Room (the once-secret meeting place for members of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers)"

So far, both entrees introduced are vegetarian friendly (tofu pho and falafel). So excited!

ANy word if the restaurant is added to the restaurant roste? I have looked today and do not see it, but I don't ever see the menu updates either! LOL!

ANy word if the restaurant is added to the restaurant roste? I have looked today and do not see it, but I don't ever see the menu updates either! LOL!
I haven't checked on MDE, but wouldn't be suprised if it still wasn't listed. Today's info comes from the invitation to the soft opening on Tuesday the 8th.

Would Disney do a full vegetarian restaurant in MK? Interesting that those are the items being leaked first. (I hope not. I love falafel, but if the entire menu is meatless it becomes almost impossible to get my guys to go.)

I highly doubt the entire menu will be meatless. I don't think that would make good marketing sense. It does look like they will be doing more vegetarian options though.n

"The Mess Hall"

Having been a fan and sworn "member" into the much missed Adventurers club, I'm hopeful that we may see some familiar items in the S.E.A room. I can still sing the song, good memories....

I highly doubt the entire menu will be meatless. I don't think that would make good marketing sense. It does look like they will be doing more vegetarian options though.n
Agree, but a recent study on eating habbits, more and more Milennials identify as either vegetarian or vegan than older generations (Baby Boomer are like 1%, Gen Xers are around 4%, and Millenials are about 12%). This study was from Hartman in 2011. I remember seeing another study more recently where it looks as if the trend is increasing as more and more millenials gain financial independence from their parents. This study cited 14% as vegetarian.

So, although I don't think it would be an entirely meatless restaurant, they appear to be catering to the fastest growing trends of the Millenial Generation by offering more than the "veggie burger" or salad.

Agree, but a recent study on eating habbits, more and more Milennials identify as either vegetarian or vegan than older generations (Baby Boomer are like 1%, Gen Xers are around 4%, and Millenials are about 12%). This study was from Hartman in 2011. I remember seeing another study more recently where it looks as if the trend is increasing as more and more millenials gain financial independence from their parents. This study cited 14% as vegetarian.

So, although I don't think it would be an entirely meatless restaurant, they appear to be catering to the fastest growing trends of the Millenial Generation by offering more than the "veggie burger" or salad.

I do think that's most likely (and positive). If Disney ever does try to run a meatless restaurant it's unlikely to be in MK, but it's really interesting that the first showings are meatless.

Given how many restaurants have phoned-in vegetarian options, I bet if they went full-on vegetarian friendly there would be some happy folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter