Side hustle?

I buy, maintain, and rent out houses - 3 long term rentals and one short term rental (near Disney). This year I made -$1,000 (not a typo). It was my best year yet!

In my younger days, I did security as an off duty officer, I taught the AAA safe driver course, and was a Disney Travel Agent.

I am saddened by my son commenting that his almost full time job (32 hrs/week) is exhausting. Where is the hustle? Between overtime and part time, I used to call my 60 hour week my short week.
$1,000? How is it that low? It's such an in demand area!!

I'm a teacher so I sell things on Teachers Pay Teachers. I also have done small outdoor construction projects and built furniture for people.

A defensive driving class? Like above and beyond drivers ed? This is great, but I've never heard of it. I took a specialty driving class years ago when I worked for GM but I never heard of it being offered to the general public.
DS & DD both took a defensive driving class and it was intense. They already had Driver's Education classes that lasted a few months.

This was with a parent (Dad went) and I think about 4 hours in classroom then a couple hours on a "course". You had to bring your own car and do all kinds of evasive and defensive moves. DH said it was intense as a passenger can't imagine how the kids felt. It was so good our insurance did not go up when either of them started driving. Both kids shortly after they started driving came home a couple times saying if they hadn't had that course they would have had an accident, one being a police chase where the cop crossed the line and was driving straight for my son. They said just knowing what to do took away the panic. Highly recommend to any young person starting out if they live in city or high traffic area. (We are Atlanta, enough said).

DS & DD both took a defensive driving class and it was intense. They already had Driver's Education classes that lasted a few months.

This was with a parent (Dad went) and I think about 4 hours in classroom then a couple hours on a "course". You had to bring your own car and do all kinds of evasive and defensive moves. DH said it was intense as a passenger can't imagine how the kids felt. It was so good our insurance did not go up when either of them started driving. Both kids shortly after they started driving came home a couple times saying if they hadn't had that course they would have had an accident, one being a police chase where the cop crossed the line and was driving straight for my son. They said just knowing what to do took away the panic. Highly recommend to any young person starting out if they live in city or high traffic area. (We are Atlanta, enough said).
This is great to hear. When I worked in the auto industry I was required to take an advanced drivers ed course to drive on the proving ground. We went on this big-a$$ piece of asphalt and learned tons of defensive driving manoeuvres. We learned the value of anti-lock braking systems. We learned how to avoid oversteering when your car goes onto a soft shoulder (which causes many accidents). That one class, taken almost 25 years ago has saved my life at least a dozen times. It was the biggest benefit of working for an auto company.

When my DD20 is away at school, I fill in for her at her job one (sometimes 2) day a week. It’s the training facility that she trained at since she was about 10 and started working there at 16. This little second job has been great for me - I get to see tons of people I know, have fun catching up with them for 7 hours and then get paid for it. I miss it when my DD is home (like now) and she works there and I don’t. So I manage a chiropractor’s office MTWF&S and then work at the training facility on Thursdays and some Sundays - so there are some weeks that I work every day.

This is great to hear. When I worked in the auto industry I was required to take an advanced drivers ed course to drive on the proving ground. We went on this big-a$$ piece of asphalt and learned tons of defensive driving manoeuvres. We learned the value of anti-lock braking systems. We learned how to avoid oversteering when your car goes onto a soft shoulder (which causes many accidents). That one class, taken almost 25 years ago has saved my life at least a dozen times. It was the biggest benefit of working for an auto company.
Sounds similar to what they did. I think we paid around $400 but totally worth it!

Sounds similar to what they did. I think we paid around $400 but totally worth it!
many years ago, an intern had taken out a Corvette on one of the tracks and wrapped it around a tree at 125 mph; killed instantly and very tragic. They then started mandating the training and got even more strict with safety. It was such a valuable class.

my side hustle became my full time, and is now back to being my side hustle: adjunct teaching at my Community College (where I work fulltime). I also do freelance and review tests and occasionally create content for a publishing company.

We used to have two side hustles but it was so much more trouble than they were worth.

We bought a small apartment complex and it was just one headache after another. I was so overjoyed when we found a buyer for that money pit. My other was custom cakes. I really enjoy doing it just for fun, but it is so much stress when you have to make and deliver a client cake.

My side hustle is on-call, usually weekends only. Occasionally, I'll do some weekdays. It has allowed me and my husband to do more travel. I actually feel pretty fortunate that I have this side gig because I can choose when I want to work so it doesn't affect my FT job at all. The most important of all, it comes with some travel discounts/benefits! 😁

you misread...it is negative $1,000. That is total for all four houses combined. I had a really bad tenant turnover on one of the houses last year and an even worse one the year before. Thank goodness for two of the houses doing pretty well and covering that loss.
Ack! Sorry it wasn't a good year for you. Hopefully 2024 will be better!

A lot of my family are landlords and the things I have heard/seen in-person...OMG! I had thought about investing too and learn from them, but after I saw how one property can give you the biggest headache and just consume your life...I said, never mind I don't know if I have the patience and tenacity to be a landlord!

I had seen how one person can destroy a 1-bedroom condo, to the point it looks like he never cleaned anything! I'm not exaggerating, the kitchen walls and counters were covered in god knows what...things splattered and spilled he never cleaned it. Let's not talk about the fridge, I might vomit 🤮🤢 The carpet was a neutral beige color, but it was all black/grey!!! I saw it because my cousin said she needed to go take a few pictures of something real quick (it's her condo), and the moment she opened the door I think eyeballs almost fell out!! I started covering my mouth/nose because I don't know what could be growing in that unit, then told my cousin to hurry up because I didn't want to be there for a second longer! I thought things I had seen on TV were made up...no apparently they are real! There really are people out there that nasty!🥴:sad2:

2nd job not really side doing bookkeeping for a friend - very erratic sometimes busy may go weeks and weeks and have nothing then all of a sudden busy - he’s not very concerned with doing anything timely in any sense of the word
Some side baking for friends and neighbors on adhoc basis

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter