Votes: 55 74.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Maybe/Not Sure/Other (explain)

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People have the right to protest but that right only extends to the fact you can't be arrested. If you protest and your boss is not okay with it or it isn't a recognized union activity then you can lose your job. I hope all that lost their job find work again soon. I am kind of shocked so many places have a one offense policy of course we don't have the full story of how many days were missed pre this event or what other issues at work therr may have been as well. Even when I worked at a coffee shop we had to no call no show for 3 days straight before it was a firing.

The business owner did the right thing. They have the right to protest, but that right doesn't extend to keeping their jobs in they skip out of work.

Yes they should be fired. It was a mutiny. Where I work we get pto days they can be used for whatever you want. Go on vacation whatever you want. But it cannot be used for a mutiny. About 10 years ago one department had a mutiny 90 percent of the workers around 10 called off it was a planned mutiny. They were all fired which they should of been.i should of used another word besides mutiny but you get my point.

I voted maybe/not sure. My personal opinion is NO, they shouldn't have been fired. But the bottom line is they worked for a man, who if you Google his name, is a long time registered Republican who participates in conservative causes and is fairly outspoken about his opinions, so it should have come as absolutely no surprise to them that they got fired. Also, he has a "one strike, you're out" policy as far as absences, which he has every right to do, so again, no one should be surprised. As I unfortunately get to see stories on this on my FB newfeed from super far-right outlets, due to my weird assortment or friends and family that cover the political spectrum from one extreme to the other, it did strike me funny that several of the better known outlets were reporting that they were illegal themselves. I feel certain this probably isn't true, because we all know people outspoken against illegals, would never hire them in their own businesses and exploit them, lol.:rolleyes2

Yes, I think the business/owner(s) have the right to fire employees who don't show up for work, without approved medical or pre-approved personal leave.
Ditch work, just for ones own personal reasons and interests... risk losing that job.
This was not medical or perosnal leave. This was an organized walk-out.

And, if one reads the above, there is absolutely nothing political about it. People have the right to protest or to express their political views. But, not on their employers time and dime. Let them protest and riot and what the heck ever they want to to!!! Just without ditching their jobs and purposefully creating a hardship for their employer.

IMO, sure. If that's the policy of the workplace (no show, you're done), then absolutely. The whole thing is ridiculous. It's not about immigrants, immigrants come here, become citizens and that's who we are. It's about illegal, and by the very definition, it's against the law. Period. Not race, not religion, just legality. Trying to make it something else is silly.

Actions have consequences. If you're not willing to accept the consequence, don't do the action (BTW, that can apply both to the employees & the employer).

I voted maybe/not sure. My personal opinion is NO, they shouldn't have been fired. But the bottom line is they worked for a man, who if you Google his name, is a long time registered Republican who participates in conservative causes and is fairly outspoken about his opinions, so it should have come as absolutely no surprise to them that they got fired. Also, he has a "one strike, you're out" policy as far as absences, which he has every right to do, so again, no one should be surprised. As I unfortunately get to see stories on this on my FB newfeed from super far-right outlets, due to my weird assortment or friends and family that cover the political spectrum from one extreme to the other, it did strike me funny that several of the better known outlets were reporting that they were illegal themselves. I feel certain this probably isn't true, because we all know people outspoken against illegals, would never hire them in their own businesses and exploit them, lol.:rolleyes2

It doesn't matter what his political affiliation, he is a business owner and can set whatever rules he wants for his business. My BIL is not a registered republican but he is a small business owner. He likely would have done the same thing. He relies on his employees to be there to work because he has deadlines, and contracts. When his employees don't show up he loses money, and in the end that hurts him and his employees. It has nothing to do with what side of the aisle you are on when it comes to being able to pay your bills.

These workers hopefully learned a valuable life lesson. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. They didn't care about the well-being of the business they work for. Perhaps if this was talked about earlier, the business owner could have not scheduled things for that day, or some workers go protest, some stay and work for the good of the business, etc. The business owner has customers he has to make happy, or he goes out of business, then no one has a job. The workers didn't care. So this is what happens.

Other...duh, my own opinion. ;)

Legally the boss is in the right to fire.

Now whether bosses SHOULD FIRE is something that is debatable. However due to the political nature of the topic I will refrain from responding. :wave2:

Agree with others on here that say they made a decision to no-show and owner made a decision to terminate them. Both parties' actions were within the law.

I will say that going forward, the business owner should be extra careful to dot his "i's" and cross his "t's" with regard to how he runs his business as there will most definitely be many eyes upon him in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter