Should I bring a stroller for my 5yo?????

lezammer

Earning My Ears
Hi all! Thanks in advance for any advice. We leave in 2 weeks (myself, DH, DD 5yo, DS 3yo, and DS 2yo):woohoo: . I thought I would only need to bring a double stroller for the boys, but am now second guessing if I should bring a stroller for my 5yo. She never sits in one at home, but after reading various posts, I am now wondering if I should get one for her. We have 9:30 breakfasts ADR's all week and we do plan on coming back to our rooms for a mid-afternoon nap, then heading out to dinner, so we do have our day broken up. She is a trooper so I know she won't ever complain if she was getting tired, not to mention a night owl. Also, we were thinking that they could also take turns sitting at times since the other 2 don't want to sit for too long either.. Any advice?

My DD was 2 weeks shy of turning 6 when we went. We got to the parks by 10AM and returned to the room around 11:30PM. We stopped for CS for lunch and TS for dinner. With waiting in lines and watching shows, she was fine without a stroller. She did fall asleep on the bus on the way back about 1/2 the time. Not a problem for us as she is an only child.

My Brother-In-Law took my 5 YO neice last year and they ended up renting a stroller at the park for my neice. They didn't think she would need one because she is used to walking but that's alot of walking! So I would say if it's easy for you to bring it, then bring it just incase!

I think it really depends on the child. My sister and her DH brought their 4 year old and he did nothing but whine the whole trip about being tired.:sad2: BUT...that being said, and as much as I love him...he is normally a child who tends to get babied and whines a lot anyway. So that's his disposition. It sounds like your DD isn't like this anyway, ans as you said, if she gets tired and wants to sit, maybe on of the littler ones would be glad to get a piggy-back or stretch their legs for a bit so big sis can rest. :lovestruc

Well my son turns 5 wednesday, I have a DD3 and a DD 1 so it sounds like we are in a similar situation. I am actually bringing a double and a single mac. However, I think my son is different than your daughter. He will whine and fight with his sister about wanting to sit. He also has clearly said he doesn't want to walk the whole time. Plus I think he will get really tired in the evenings. We had a few situations like a long hot day at the zoo and a day at 6 flags that convinced us we want to have it. I ended up carrying the baby at the zoo and my DH ended up carrying my son at the end of the 5 flags day. We may not bring the single everyday but I think sometimes we will need it and I don't want to rent. I think it depends on your child (sounds like yours is pretty tough) and on how long you are going to be there. I think my son might make it a day or so without too much complaining but after a few days he would be to put it simply - a real pain.

I think that I would bring a small stroller for her. We will have one for our DS 5, almost 6 when we go. I know that I do not want to have to be carrying him when he is tired, or asleep at 10-11pm because a long hot day full of excitement. Just to be on the safe side.

Oh, and if you do decide NOT to take one, and end up needing one, don't waste your $$$ on a rental (especially with the price increase) You can buy a stroller at most resort gift shops for $50. Just incase you didn't know.... Although if you have a car with you you could always run to Wal-mart. Have a great trip!! :thumbsup2

i would think a double would be fine. there will be times when your 3yo wants to walk. she can take a rest then.
i also have 3 kids, i dont think i would ever bring more than a double.

My oldest daughter is 5 too. Last year she tromped through the parks from open to close for 8 straight days. We had a stroller but mostly used it to haul our junk. BUT, it is a LOT of walking and by the 2nd or 3rd day she did tire more easily.
This year I am bringing a stroller for the baby and an umbrella stroller for my 5 yr old. We won't bring it to the parks everyday, we won't take it to MNSSHP, or our dinner nights at Epcot after spending the day at a water park. But we will take it on days we're at the park the whole day, and if she just starts wearing down towards the end of the trip. I'd just rather have it and not need it than wear her to a nub! :goodvibes

I have a 5 year old. I will not go without it. He just gets so tired plus it helps when he needs shade. They are not use to all that walking. I would at least take it on the first day and see how necessary it is.

We are definitely taking one for our DS. He will be just a few days shy of 5 on our trip in December. He can barely do a few hours at the mall without pooping out on me! We'll be having a few late nights and everyone will be happier if he's able to rest when needed.

It definately depends on your child.

Our 1st trip we had a 6, 4 and 1 yr old with us and only took one stroller and the only one who ever went in the stroller was the 1yr old, dd. I would have never thought of bringing my stroller for my 4 yr old.

Now skip ahead 3 yrs and my dd is now 4 and I am definately bringing a stroller for her because she will complain the entire time we are there that her legs are tired.

So as you can see same house but two completely different kids.

DS turned 5 while on vacation last year. We did not take a stroller, and he was fine. We figured we would rent one in the bigger parks (like magic kingdom) if needed. Once in awhile some held him for a bit.
You know your children best, do you think it is really needed. Plus, will the smaller ones be in the stroller all the time? Older child could get a short rest while another child is "stretching their legs". You sound like you are pacing yourselves and resting in the afternoons some will help tired legs.
Good luck and enjoy your trip !!

We are taking one for my daughter. She complains about walking in the mall so there is NO WAY she'll make it walking all through the parks. I have two macs and we'll be taking both. My son is too crazy and runs off so he definitely needs the stroller :rotfl: Its just faster and easier for us too.

We're skipping the stroller this trip...

In May we had one and it stayed in the room about 1/2 the time. The other 1/2 it was mostly holding junk and my son was walking. I think the only park where we were happy to have it was Animal Kingdom. Other than that, we could have done without.

BUT, I only have one lightweight son and a construction-worker husband with large shoulders so he can always hitch a ride up there if need be. :rotfl2:

Ok I can top all of you. When we went last Dec my kids were 4, 7 &10 we rented a double stroller so the 4yo could sit and there would be room for the 7 yo. Well my 4yo used it only 1 day when he napped in it at Epcot. Other than that it was used by the 7yo AND THE 10 YEAR OLD!! Flame me but I don't care pushing a 10 yo around is a lot better than listening to one whine all day.

Like everyone else said, it all depends on your child. All kids are so different.
My sons stopped using a stroller at WDW when they were 4. They never complained and did fine. We usually get to the parks at opening and stay through the day until dinner or so. Some nights we stayed later. We are usually there 7-10 days.
We brought our stroller for our daughter last September when she was just shy of 4. She hardly sat in it at all. We either parked it in one spot while we toured that section of the park or, we left it in the room. It was more of a pain then anything for us.
We are going again in December and she will be 5 next month. We are leaving the stroller at home. We think she will be fine. If she gets tired, we will just take a break.
I would either bring an umbrella stroller for your daughter or, consider buying one (renting is overpriced if you ask me) once you get there if you think she needs it.
Have a great trip!!:goodvibes

I took one for my 5 yr old last December and taking again in January DD will be 6 then. It's just easier than carrying her when she gets tired and allows us to get to point a from point b quicker. Even she does not use one at home Disney is alot of walking.

We started going when my oldest was 4 and have never taken one. It never occurred to us to take one and the kids never asked or complained. I think it depends on your kids.

We brought a stroller for our 2.5yo, and to be honest, it was sometimes more of a pain then it was worth. We ended up leaving it in the stroller parking areas for long stretches of time, then we'd have to backtrack to retrieve it. It was easier to let DD walk than it was to deal with the constant in and out.

If you 5yo doesn't use a stroller when you're not at Disney, I think you may be fine without it in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter