• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sharing food knowledge U.K./US

Welsh_Dragon

Y Ddraig Goch
In preparation for my next trip, I decided to look up the difference between UK steak cuts and US steak cuts. I was surprised to discover that what we call sirloin Americans call porterhouse and what they call sirloin is actually rump.
Quite important knowledge when in a steak restaurant, so I am sharing.
Now I am wondering about chateaubriand, côte de boeuf, t bone etc, rib eye etc.

In preparation for my next trip, I decided to look up the difference between UK steak cuts and US steak cuts. I was surprised to discover that what we call sirloin Americans call porterhouse and what they call sirloin is actually rump.
Quite important knowledge when in a steak restaurant, so I am sharing.
Now I am wondering about chateaubriand, côte de boeuf, t bone etc, rib eye etc.
American here :)

I would ask at your restaurant or call ahead. Some places can be a little loosey-goosey with their names.
Lately I’ve been seeing hangar steak on menus and in stores all of a sudden but I have a feeling it’s not true hanger steak, but a re-naming of larger skirt steaks.

Most places in the US, a porterhouse and a T bone are the same thing but usually called porterhouse on the restaurant menu regardless of what end of the loin they come from.

In steakhouses here, I almost always order ribeye which will sometimes be called Delmonico in older restaurants.

American here :)

I would ask at your restaurant or call ahead. Some places can be a little loosey-goosey with their names.
Lately I’ve been seeing hangar steak on menus and in stores all of a sudden but I have a feeling it’s not true hanger steak, but a re-naming of larger skirt steaks.

Most places in the US, a porterhouse and a T bone are the same thing but usually called porterhouse on the restaurant menu regardless of what end of the loin they come from.

In steakhouses here, I almost always order ribeye which will sometimes be called Delmonico in older restaurants.
https://www.waldorfastoriaorlando.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Bull-Bear-Menu-10_2021.pdf

So is a NY sirloin what we call a rump? What’s the significance of ‘NY’ to the sirloin?

Watch out for fish too. Some of the fish are called by different names.
I know some is called flounder and there’s another, the name of which escapes me right now.
also know that when you buy or order a shepherds pie that you’re getting beef in it.

There’s been a recent fad with restaurants to add nachos to the menu and make it with potato chips. If you want nachos, stick to Mexican and TexMex restaurants unless the menu specified corn chips.
There’s probably a slew of items I’ve forgotten and I’ll add any I think of that might be relevant. It’s been a while - but my husband and I have some hilarious grocery shopping and dining experiences under our belts haha.

https://steaksociety.com/steak-cuts/is very helpful, explaining what each cut is called in the US, UK, Aus and NZ. And the cow is clickable!

A NY Sirloin is not on there explicitly, but it's the thing that is also called a NY Strip, and is the very tender top part of the sirloin. (Source: I'm a former food writer, and my grandfather was a beef farmer and butcher; my father in law was a butcher and also ran a slaughterhouse. We do a lot of meat in this family.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter