September '20 WISH Challenge - New Beginnings

So far, my Wednesday WooHoo is just that I’m home today, because I have a ton to catch up on! (Somehow the longer the weekend, the less I get done. :confused3)

I watched the little ones yesterday so their mom could go in and do some classroom set up, and they were both tired and cranky after the long weekend. My “tutoring is going to go so well” feeling from last Thursday is a little shaky today.

But hopefully once we’re on a real school routine, things will go smoothly. Right now, we don’t even have a schedule of when I need to log on with them because their teachers are still in trainings and the open house isn’t until Friday.

And nephew especially does not. like. change. So being able to practice and prepare more would probably have been good for him. I think I’m going to do one of those “what are most excited about? / what are you most nervous about?” things with them tomorrow.

No worries. The early intervention helped her tremendously! She’s always been tiny...I think she’s max high now at 5’. But she did jump around in activities when she was younger and tried gymnastics, swimming, soccer, & softball. Now she’s the high school JV goalie both freshman and now sophomore years.
that makes me feel so much better! Thank you so much! Congrats to her for making JV teams too. Sounds like she's an active kid.

When we first started online learning in the spring, I was eating terribly. But a few weeks in I realized I needed to start treating it as if I was going into work. So I started to prep my weeks worth of salads for lunch in my Pyrex bowls that I would use for school. And cut up and bagged carrots and celery. (It felt a little wasteful at first to be using the bags, then I realized I could reuse them a few times. Plus it was worth it to help get me eating normally again.) For a week, I wrote down exactly what I would have for breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. And I only ate what was on the list. After one week, I was pretty good because I was back into a routine I already had been following prior to the shutdown. If it’s a new habit, it might take a little longer.
This is a great idea. I always thought "oh, if I'm working from home then I don't need to prep" but then I just end up snacking all day. Not great.

And nephew especially does not. like. change. So being able to practice and prepare more would probably have been good for him. I think I’m going to do one of those “what are most excited about? / what are you most nervous about?” things with them tomorrow.
Poor kiddo! I think your idea is great. At the very least it lets you know what may be making him anxious. Would it be age appropriate to maybe ask him what would help him feel more prepared? I don't know how old he is so he may not be able to provide much insight. I'm very routine driven and I hate the unknowns when there's something new. So I can understand the feeling!

One of our struggles here at home is that "daycare" is actually my MIL. It's great because it's free, it's someone I trust, and I know loves the crap outta my kiddo. But it's a problem because they don't necessarily follow the things that I ask of them. They've gotten so much better so it's still a learning curve. I asked yesterday for them to get in 20 min of tummy time with DS. They did 12 min. It's better than the 0 min they'd gotten prior! But I told my SO that I don't want to send DS over to gma's every day until she starts consistently doing the tummy time that I ask for. Once or twice a week is great but otherwise... :confused3 developmentally he NEEDS as much time as possible. It led to a bit of an argument of me "withholding" the baby from MIL. I reminded my SO that I'd be having this conversation with my own mother and if it was someone I was paying then I'd fire them if they didn't do what I asked. 20 min of tummy time isn't an unreasonable request. One thing I hadn't anticipated about motherhood is this conflicting feeling of not wanting to be a SAHM but also not feeling like anyone else is capable of giving him the level of care that I give him. Thanks for reading my venting haha.

Woohoo Wednesday! Let's see...

1) I have my baby home today. Yesterday I sent him to gma's because I had stacked work meetings from 8:30a-4p and just wasn't going to be able to give fair attention to both of them. But man, I miss my little dude when he's not here with me.
2) I got a calculation error at work that was showing $10K less in profit on a deal than we would actually be getting
3) COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE :surfweb:

Poor kiddo! I think your idea is great. At the very least it lets you know what may be making him anxious. Would it be age appropriate to maybe ask him what would help him feel more prepared? I don't know how old he is so he may not be able to provide much insight. I'm very routine driven and I hate the unknowns when there's something new. So I can understand the feeling!

They’re both five - fraternal twins. They’re actually my “honorary niece and nephew” - but I don’t always bother typing it all out.

Woohoo... someone picked up the desk yesterday. There were some nice dining chairs out up the street for almost a week before someone got them, so I wasn't sure how long it would take. I'm happy to be rid of it and happy someone who can use it has it.

Woohoo... my kitten appointment for Saturday is set. The kitten that I thought was Pippa's sister is still there but isn't really her sister, but the gal said there was a real nice little boy coming in and lots of other ones to choose from. Still sad and grieving but also looking forward to getting our little family put back together.

Woohoo... for getting so much stuff out of the house, even if there is a lot still do do I have gotten started and made good progress. This was my thing to accomplish this year and I was beating myself up for getting such a "late" start, but realized I had given myself the year to accomplish it, but that didn't mean it was going to take all year to get it done. For September I'll do this next trip to OC, then another trip to GW, and get the recycle cardboard out. Then one side of the basement will be where I start to pile stuff for the junk people to pick up, which I'll plan for early November. Fun times.

The house is all shut up today, except for the fan in the living room, all the windows are shut to keep the smoke out. I should have done this yesterday. We don't have rain in the foreseeable forecast, which would really help with the forest fires and the smoke. There are over a dozen fires going in the state right now, a couple have devastated towns. Heart is aching for all those impacted.

We’ve been watching the news and these fires are just unbelievable. Hope you get some rain very soon.

We’re headed to the beach tomorrow and now that all the work is done I plan to stay for the next ten days to two weeks. My daughter and her family will stay through Monday because they can work from our house virtually. I am looking forward to walking in the park near us and on the beach. Have some meals planned out so I can stay on track.

When I retired I simply ate the same lunches I used to bring to work. It would be too easy otherwise to just snack throughout the day.

My WooHoo Wednesday - Nothing spectacular has happened around here lately, I guess my WooHoo is that I recently got a new boss and I was a little nervous from a few of the things I'd heard from him, but so far, everything is going great! I'm the controller of a company in a multi-location system and he was the GM of a smaller company. When my previous boss retired, my current boss applied and got the job. I had heard stories about his style of management, but so far so good! He does put a bit more work on my plate (things my old boss used to do himself), but nothing too bad so far. He comes in my office daily and we have long conversations about future plans for the company. My old boss never did that because I think he just did it all on his own. I'm actually kind of enjoying it!

Wahoo none of the people I work with had to actually evacuate in front of fires. They are totally packed and ready to go, though, following fire marshal orders.

Wahoo the sky wasn't deep orange today, only grayish yellow. Not wahoo, you could see the ash falling all day long. Everything is covered in it. The only two other people in the building went home early because they couldn't breathe. :( DS1 said he's pretty sure the apartment building he used to live in has burned. The gal I work with is pretty sure her husband's family vacation cottage has burned. There's so much devastation, but so many people stepping up and helping.

Wahoo, grandma said she would babysit the twins for me the entire school year!!!! I'm so relieved. And once they know, they'll be so happy.

Maybe wahoo, DH is making cookie dough right now. Mmmm I plan one taste and then done!

I enjoyed reading everyone’s woohoos. And sorry to hear about all the fires. Tough times. But keep looking for the positives! Today is Thankful Thursday! Like the quote says, there’s always something to be grateful for. What are you grateful for this week?

I’m grateful for the opportunity to host. It’s been tough with getting ready for school, but hosting has kept me focused on also taking care of myself and eating right.

I’m grateful for FINALLY getting into our building (even though it’s still a construction site). I’m also grateful that I’m in fairly good shape and able to handle this physical work. I moved desks, table, & many boxes off of pallets (I think there were 5 pallets of boxes plus I know of at least one more in another part of the building that I’m waiting for). And I got about half the boxes unpacked.

I’m grateful for my husband & daughter making and cleaning up dinner for me yesterday after such a long day at school!

I have not forgotten you guys...I'm just buried under everything right now. Some time in the chaos, I have to fit in a 7 hour online training on Dibels which is a kindergarten assessment. I may actually have to use a personal day to get it done since my administrator is not carving out any professional development time for me. I can't complain because she's getting it from all sides right now.

Anyway, I'm grateful for all of you, and I will be back on the weekend when I can take a breath.

Woohoo... my kitten appointment for Saturday is set. The kitten that I thought was Pippa's sister is still there but isn't really her sister, but the gal said there was a real nice little boy coming in and lots of other ones to choose from. Still sad and grieving but also looking forward to getting our little family put back together.

I hope you find the perfect addition to your little family on Saturday :hug:

My woohoo is that I had dinner out with a friend last night. Although I must say I'm not completely comfortable with the restaurant thing - some do it well and some not so much - last night I felt like the tables were a little too close to be truly social distanced - so I spent half of the night internally worried about that but did enjoy the catch up with my friend.

I am grateful for all my kids my tonight DS16 - there is a kid in his math class who is struggling and failed his last exam - DS16 has offered to help him and they have been studying together the last couple of weeks. Today they studied for about 2.5 hours - Exams are next week. Last night when I got home from dinner he was sitting with his twin sister helping her study math as well. I am grateful for his generous nature :love:

Thankful that the smoke cover in the city isn't worse than it is, just wish that was because the fires have burned out, which they haven't.

This has been a challenging week emotionally, the only upside I can really see is that I'm learning more and more about emotions and how the pain can manifest in a seemingly unrelated area. I'm thankful that the kitten is such an awesome little being. We've started having morning snuggles before I get out of the bed in the morning, which is such a sweet and calming way to start the day.

This maybe would have been better yesterday as a WooHoo Wednesday - but it'll have to do for a Thankful Thursday . . . DD2 got a job offer this morning! It's really for less money than she thinks she should be getting, but she thinks the job sounds interesting and it's in her field that she just graduated in, so I'm thrilled and Thankful!

Both of my adult children now have jobs!

Thankful for the teachers at my sons' school. There was a meet and greet today where they got their supplies. Lots of info that has me a bit overwhelmed looking at it but glad they "overperpared" as the kindergarten teacher put it. Looks like distance learning will be off to a good start and we'll see what happens after the first few weeks.

I’m thankful for my mama! I needed some baby troubleshooting (my normally not screaming baby would scream anytime I set him down) so I called her. She came up and sat with me while I calmed down my little dude. I wouldn’t have survived the past 3.5months without my mama.

I'm thankful our school district has a superintendent who gets us. She reminded us today that we don't have to be perfect, we just have to keep taking a step forward. She even had a page in her weekly powerpoint about all the hard things that we're dealing with! She was spot on!

Still incredibly smokey here. Worse than before. Coworker's hubby's family cottage is totally gone. All school events are cancelled this week and starting back to school next week has been bumped back one day. That way schools like mine who were planning to pass out supplies this week can do it early next week! There might be rain early next week and I've never seen so many people so excited for rain!!

I had three tastes of the cookie dough last night. And two today. Gotta stop! I'll have the twins help me bake them tomorrow and that will be that.

Ah Friday night. It was a rainy day and continues to rain on and off. We have some more rain over the next several days scheduled. Hope your areas with fires get some much needed rain soon! The rain is interrupting my walking - we have had some pretty heavy showers - I do have a cute little rain jacket - but as we are starting to get warmer weather - and I struggle when I feel warm/hot and will need to start peeling layers - I can just imagine me being a drowned rat - when I have to take off the raincoat! :(

I just looked at the date and realised that it is the anniversary of 9-11 :( I always remember as DS19 was born in November 2000 and it happened just before his first birthday and I remember thinking OMG what kind of world will he grow up in? And here we are almost 20 years later and I worry how long Covid is going to impact my teens young lives (and beyond with job prospects). It is what it is though and I continue to try and focus on the things we can control.

DS20 found out the school for his first teaching prac which will be in October. Thankfully it isn't one of my school's, I think he would have felt more pressure if it was. From memory the school he has gotten is a fairly small one. He has been matched with a male teacher in year 6. As they could not do their first 2 week prac in semester 1 - it will be a 4 week one I think - the first 2 weeks will be more observational with maybe a short go at leading an activity and then in the second 2 weeks the expectation will step up a little bit. I hope he enjoys it.

Happy Friday Everyone :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter