Sell me on an SSR contract for "Sleep around" points

skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon
Hey all, so we've been looking at getting a third DVC contract. We really love AKV and we own 160 points there, as well as a 75 point contract at BWV. I was looking at getting another 120 - 160 points at AKV, but the contracts have been thin, the points have IMO been over-priced as of late, and our first contract which was pushing what I wanted to pay got ROFR'd (160 pts @ $109 a point). So, I've been thinking about maybe going with a SSR contract instead.

Pros:
1) Save about $10 per point ($1600 for 160 pt contract) and $1 per point every year for the next 35 years ($5,600 across life of contract) assuming MFs remain roughly same ratio.
2) I can use "bank and borrow" to use my BWV and AKV at home resorts when I want, and use the SSR points as the "sleep-around points", since I've already used the AKV points for "Sleep-around" pretty effectively.
3) Much easier to match UY with my current contract as the selection is larger - more likely to get the exact point size I want.
4) Lifetime of contract is almost the same (2054 vs 2057) I'll be 85 or 88 when they expire.
5) If anyone could effectively navigate SSR points at 7-month window for other resorts - even in studios - it should be me, right?

Cons:
1) I really don't care for SSR at all. I honestly don't want to stay there -so I would be breaking the cardinal rule "Buy where you like to stay"
2) We predominantly stay in studios - the hardest to "sleep around" with - unlikely we could use these points for Oct-Dec travel.
3) By getting more AKV points we could take advantage sometimes of the value 1-bedrooms, which aren't hard to get if booking at 11 months. Can't do THAT with SSR points.
4) I was excited to get my AKV contract and my BWV contract. Not sure I would be at all excited about this contract. Does that alone say I should stay away?

Even as I write this I can't see myself buying SSR points - so i really debated deleting this post - but I was still curious for the responses - give me some GOOD reasons or examples of owning points at SSR for "sleep around" points.

TIA

Even as I write this I can't see myself buying SSR points - so i really debated deleting this post - but I was still curious for the responses - give me some GOOD reasons or examples of owning points at SSR for "sleep around" points.
I think WHEN you intend on using these "sleep around points" is the biggest factor. You already own the BWV for food and wine time - as you know those SSR points at 7 months any other time outside of the fall frenzy will give you a few studio options. I have also been tracking 7 month availability and really the studios you would be left to choose from during Mid Jan to Mid September would be AK, Poly, SSR OKW, BLT --So why not buy bargain points? a point is a point at 7 months. Even if you wanted Aulani, HHI or Vero for alternate vacations - you should have pretty good availability for studios.

Even if you wanted a stay during the fall you could book SSR to secure something then play the DVC roulette game and see what you can change to.

It would seem silly to spend more to acquire AK points and then in turn pay more in MF every year. I vote buying the bargain points.

If your goal is to "sleep around" during the high season, you're not going to be that successful unless you don't mind split stays. By saying you don't like SSR, and would not stay there, you've also pretty much eliminated that as part of the split stay or a backup 11 month reservation, too.

I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and buy more AKV points.

I am nowhere near buying still probably another couple years away, but I have been think about this as well. Currently we own 100 points at AKL and 150 Points a Copper Creek. We love both and have really thought about adding more to AKL. We would like to add another 200-250 Points in the future. We stayed at Saratoga back in March during a split stay. Coming from the Polynesian, Saratoga was a major let down. Now when they get the refurb done I think it will be very nice. I love the closeness of Disney Spring which since becoming DVC members has been a go too for our family.

I think your charts make the argument for buying the cheapest points (with dues factored in). It's pretty safe to buy Saratoga. You have a great chance of getting AKL at 7 months, which you obviously love. Maybe not in the fall frenzy but you have other points for that. How do you feel about OKW?

Granted I am a little different because I don't think I will minding staying a Saratoga after the refurb and we mostly go in the spring and summer. Who knows what the points cost will be in 2 years, but I am heavily leaning toward Saratoga or if there is a subsidized contract possible Aulani.

Don't do it. I did it. If I could go back I wouldn't do it again.

We have no idea what Disney may decide to do with their timeshare management in the future and if things go south for owners, SSR will make you ☹ (or >:(). And I do mean you you. Not the general you.

SSR works great for some people today. But booking a studio at BWV during F&W within 7 months with SSR was working great for some people just 10 years ago; this has since changed without any substantive change to restrictions/policy beyond a willingness by Disney to oversell studios by way of lowering minimum buy-ins and raising prices.

Times change. Disney policy around timeshare sales/management has changed. I suspect they'll continue to change, and to quote Dean, "usually not for the better."

Buy where you'll be happy. Who knows? In 5 years, you may regret saving $1,600 for a 35 year commitment. I do. At this point, I'm hoping in 5 years I learn I love SSR. But right now I wish I would've bought at BLT, VGF, or AKV; locations I know I like and would be happy "being stuck" at. I'd happily give back the savings I had buying SSR.

Hey all, so we've been looking at getting a third DVC contract. We really love AKV and we own 160 points there, as well as a 75 point contract at BWV. I was looking at getting another 120 - 160 points at AKV, but the contracts have been thin, the points have IMO been over-priced as of late, and our first contract which was pushing what I wanted to pay got ROFR'd (160 pts @ $109 a point). So, I've been thinking about maybe going with a SSR contract instead.

Pros:
1) Save about $10 per point ($1600 for 160 pt contract) and $1 per point every year for the next 35 years ($5,600 across life of contract) assuming MFs remain roughly same ratio.
2) I can use "bank and borrow" to use my BWV and AKV at home resorts when I want, and use the SSR points as the "sleep-around points", since I've already used the AKV points for "Sleep-around" pretty effectively.
3) Much easier to match UY with my current contract as the selection is larger - more likely to get the exact point size I want.
4) Lifetime of contract is almost the same (2054 vs 2057) I'll be 85 or 88 when they expire.
5) If anyone could effectively navigate SSR points at 7-month window for other resorts - even in studios - it should be me, right?

Cons:
1) I really don't care for SSR at all. I honestly don't want to stay there -so I would be breaking the cardinal rule "Buy where you like to stay"
2) We predominantly stay in studios - the hardest to "sleep around" with - unlikely we could use these points for Oct-Dec travel.
3) By getting more AKV points we could take advantage sometimes of the value 1-bedrooms, which aren't hard to get if booking at 11 months. Can't do THAT with SSR points.
4) I was excited to get my AKV contract and my BWV contract. Not sure I would be at all excited about this contract. Does that alone say I should stay away?

TIA

I think the question you need to ask yourself is what is your alternative?

If your alternative is more AKL, then that doesnt make sense if you are already using your AKL points to sleep around (since they cost more). Given you stay in studios, 160 points at AKL is plenty if you are booking value and standard rooms.

If your alternative is "no more points", then that is a reasonable position as you shouldnt just buy points for the sake of it.

If your alternative is another resort that you think you will stay at a frequently at the 11-month, in studios, during the busy times when studios arent available at 7 months, then buying there would be make sense.

To me, SSR points are the way to go unless you are interested in studios at specific resorts during fall frenzy or are interested in specific low-cost room types at specific resorts that are unavailable at the 7-month window all year round (e.g. Value Rooms at AKL or Standard Studios at BWV).

I won't. I think your heart is set on AKV. I remember your earlier post explaining that the add-on could allow you to enjoy larger AKV units like value 1-bedrooms. SSR points will not help you there. You won't be happy if you are stuck there since you already dislike the resort. Don't be discouraged by ROFR. I would personally rather wait and pay a little more for something I really wanted than just settle for something cheaper.

Hey Pete,

DVC show causing addonitis? (it is for me!) I think you could effectively use SSR points to sleep around, especially if you don't mind split stays. I think I remember you saying you enjoyed split stays on one of the DVC shows. Take it or leave it but I'll share my thoughts on buying an additional contract. I own 150 at BRV and 160 at AKV since 2018 before newest restrictions dropped. With the price of resale being so high and the new restrictions, it's hard to justify a new contract anywhere!.... I understand why you'd be leaning towards SSR: good end date for you, buy in price is low, and annual dues are low. I also hear your argument for more AK points. You COULD get value 1 beds with more points at AKV, but if you like studios that doesn't really benefit you unless you want to stay more deluxe. What about BLT? (I know this wasn't an option and you may not like the resost) The buy in cost is high, but it is a 1 time fee so ultimately doesn't matter much (it used to matter more to me when I initially bought in). I think the dues and how much you like the resort ultimately matter more. With BLT you'll own near every park, have a great end date, and be able to get standard studios! If you really don't like SSR.... how good will you feel about owning there? The emotional factor is really important. Pride of ownership means a lot. Does this matter to you? Also, do you think that as legacy resorts approach their end date they will become more difficult to book? You might get stuck booking SSR when we lose BRV, BWV and BCV.... If you really love AKV maybe it would be better to own more points there despite higher costs....hope this is a little food for thought. Good luck in your decision!

I debated the exact same thing when I added on last year. Ultimately, I couldn't bring myself to buy SSR even though logically it made the most sense. Like you, I wouldn't be excited over it and just don't like the idea of owning there.

Who knows how 7 month availability might change in the next 5, 10, 15 years. I wouldn't be happy being 'stuck' at SSR but would be perfectly happy 'stuck' at AKV- plus like you mentioned the opportunity to book value rooms on occasion is a nice bonus. The rental value of AKV is also better in the event your travel patterns change and you want to rent your points some years.

In the long run the $1 difference of dues sounds somewhat substantial, but you're talking about a $120-160 difference per year. In the scheme of what we all spend on Disney vacations each year (flights, dues, tickets, meals) it's not going to move the needle. Good luck!

I own 2 contracts at BW and I've already decided that our next contract will most likely be at SSR (maybe OKW extended) for 7 month points, even though I don't intend to stay there. I like to book a couple of trips a year at short notice and I've been able to get studios at the resorts I want because I'm willing to split stay and I'm flexible with my dates. And I also sometimes modify a trip booked at 11 months as other resorts (BLT, Poly) become available here and there. So since the points are all the same at 7 months I don't want to pay a premium for those points when any will do. So I would get the SSR. But if you really think you would want more points for value rooms at AK, then you should get another contract there.

But I think you'll be happy with any contract you get at the end of the day!

Thanks for all the great responses so far - but so far I am still not sure which way to lean. May hold out a while longer for the "right" contract.
Hey Pete,

DVC show causing addonitis? (it is for me!) I think you could effectively use SSR points to sleep around, especially if you don't mind split stays. I think I remember you saying you enjoyed split stays on one of the DVC shows. Take it or leave it but I'll share my thoughts on buying an additional contract. I own 150 at BRV and 160 at AKV since 2018 before newest restrictions dropped. With the price of resale being so high and the new restrictions, it's hard to justify a new contract anywhere!.... I understand why you'd be leaning towards SSR: good end date for you, buy in price is low, and annual dues are low. I also hear your argument for more AK points. You COULD get value 1 beds with more points at AKV, but if you like studios that doesn't really benefit you unless you want to stay more deluxe. What about BLT? (I know this wasn't an option and you may not like the resost) The buy in cost is high, but it is a 1 time fee so ultimately doesn't matter much (it used to matter more to me when I initially bought in). I think the dues and how much you like the resort ultimately matter more. With BLT you'll own near every park, have a great end date, and be able to get standard studios! If you really don't like SSR.... how good will you feel about owning there? The emotional factor is really important. Pride of ownership means a lot. Does this matter to you? Also, do you think that as legacy resorts approach their end date they will become more difficult to book? You might get stuck booking SSR when we lose BRV, BWV and BCV.... If you really love AKV maybe it would be better to own more points there despite higher costs....hope this is a little food for thought. Good luck in your decision!

Ha,ha - yeah try sitting on that show talking with Pete and the crew. Remember we are chatting between shows too. I admit I have other motives for an add-on, and a big one is I am concerned about where DVC might go next with restrictions - and would prefer to get another contract under our belt before this happens. (And no I have no "inside info" that says this is coming - but it's just a gut feeling that Disney is maybe going to rollback the Riviera restriction and instead try a different tack.)

I really considered BLT - I like resorts where I can get value for my points, but there were a few reasons I eliminated it:
-While I think it's a good value, you still have to have enough money for that upfront buy-in. At current prices, I'm afraid BLT is out of my price range unless I go for a 100 point contract, which then becomes even MORE expensive.
-I haven't stayed at BLT - and in fact it's probably last on my list of resorts I want to try. Just not a fan of the style, and also the studios there are SMALL.

When I was doing my thoughts on where to go, I actually started at BLT, then moved to Poly since we really LIKE the Poly, but in the end the points were too high and the nightly rates are also too high, so even though I love the resort - I feel like it's a place I'd rather stay at on occasion than have as a home. In the end this is what landed me back at AKV, the relatively expensive points, the "standard" rooms which are also often hard to get at 7 months - even if you can't get a value being an owner there will always get you in. And the fact that we love it there and has some of our favorite restaurants on property.

I'd be happier to be stuck offsite than to be stuck at SSR - and can do that for a LOT cheaper. The CARDINAL rule is "Buy where you won't mind ending up" - don't ever break that rule.

I think your Cons #1 and #2 answer the question for you that SSR is not for you, even though it is the most cost effective.

We just bought our first contract at SSR with the intention of using them to sleep around with, but having stayed at SSR twice paying cash, I would not be upset if that is where I had to stay. Also, we want 1 Bedrooms at least, and travel during the slower periods of time, so it works for us.

I think @kniquy hit the nail on the head. It is a question of when you plan on using them.
I would also say how often you switch at 7 months matters now matters.

Im going down in a month, and switched half a VGF stay to the poly. Kills me that I did it with VGF points. 2nd switch at 7 months this year. (But outside of my December trip I go in low demand times) I myself am going to give it another year and see how much I switch at 7 months this upcoming year. If I do it like I did this year, then its time for 7 month points.

However, I would be ok staying at SSR. Not my favorite place, but I would stay there for a long weekend and be totally content. (Not bashing SSR)

Since you do not seem to like it, and since AKV is not much more $, I would not do it.

But @skier_pete needs to think about what time of year, then check the predicted availability charts @skier_pete did

Ha,ha - yeah try sitting on that show talking with Pete and the crew. Remember we are chatting between shows too. I admit I have other motives for an add-on, and a big one is I am concerned about where DVC might go next with restrictions - and would prefer to get another contract under our belt before this happens. (And no I have no "inside info" that says this is coming - but it's just a gut feeling that Disney is maybe going to rollback the Riviera restriction and instead try a different tack.)

What do you think might happen?

I am not really sure how 'inside information' matters, we are not trading stocks and aren't bound by any laws here, so if I am missing something please tell me.

Have you seen photos of the SSR refurb? I can't post them but if you search online you can find them easily. Don't know if that changes your mind at all, but I'm really liking the look of the refurbished rooms. I'm also a big fan of DS, so having walking access to it is a big plus for me and we'd be happy to stay there. Our first full day of our next WDW vacation, I'm prioritizing a trip to DS from VGF to meet Santa (we have 2 little ones), visit the Christmas tree trail, eat dinner at Jaleo, and get dessert at Amorette's. If you really don't care for SSR at all though, even with the refurb, and if you're not into DS, then I think it's best to go with where you would prefer to stay. Otherwise a bit of money saved isn't going to make your vacation any better if you end up "stuck" at SSR.

We have a good chunk of SSR sleep around points and I would do it again in a heartbeat. One of the contracts was fully loaded with banked, current, and full points coming later in the same calendar year, so it gave us a ton of points to play with right away. We also own elsewhere for the places we feel like we have to stay, so I don't mind having some points to use wherever since I do want to stay at all resorts eventually. SSR points made the most sense financially for buying the most points that I plan to use to try out all the resorts. But tbh so far we primarily use our SSR points to book 1BRs at VGC since we love it and I've had really good luck with getting it. We've also used them to book Poly and BWV in the summer.

I do think buying enough for 1BRs and up makes this strategy work a lot better. If it's possible that you'd consider buying enough for 1BRs, then it can really work out. I think the key points are: 1) flexibility - in travel time and size of room, 2) ability to book on the dot at 7 months, and use waitlists/stalking to your advantage, and 3) be happy with staying at SSR if you have to. You know yourself best. You could also buy SSR, try out this strategy, sell if you really dislike it, and risk possibly taking a bit of a loss.

When I was doing my thoughts on where to go, I actually started at BLT, then moved to Poly since we really LIKE the Poly, but in the end the points were too high and the nightly rates are also too high

You just described my thought process whenever I think of adding on!

Your con number 1 is the dealbreaker. If you don't like SSR don't buy there.
It is not the resort number 1.when I think about a special Disney themed resort, but it has gorgeous grounds, excellent location and the new rooms look fantastic. Are you sure you don't want to give SSR a chance post refurb?

I think I remember from the show you saying you live in the Northeast. When I bought in early last year there was quite a number of people saying that you should buy SSR for all the commons reasons (low dues, low buy in, etc.) Coming from California though I couldn't imagine spending thousands of dollars and flying all day to end up somewhere I wasn't happy with. I think it's safe to say at this point you will have 30+ years left going to Disney. Would you rather part with some more money up front or roll the dice and potentially not be happy for the next 30+ years? Once I looked at it that way, I bought BLT and DRR. Good luck with your decision Pete and thanks for all you do for the board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!