Seeking DVC Advice! 50 or 100pts, SSR or OKW

ChesapeakeTechie

Mouseketeer
We've been looking at DVC for a long time, and with a 15 month and twins on the way think it makes sense. We can't afford the 150 points initial buy in from Disney and am looking at resales. Initially I thought 50 points would be a good starting point, until some long-time DVCers told me with 3 kids I would be making a mistake with that low amount.
So now I'm thinking maybe 100 would be the right number, we'd go every 2-3 years and would probably want a 2 bedroom for 4-5 nights.
Is SSR more desirable than OKW due to the longer expiration timeframe? How hard/easy is it to book these at the 7 month mark? How about the BCV and BWV at 7 months?
Thanks for the help. We'll be down there in March to go on a two day trip. Any thoughts if the resale prices for SSR and OKW going to go up soon??

Thanks!!

We've been looking at DVC for a long time, and with a 15 month and twins on the way think it makes sense. We can't afford the 150 points initial buy in from Disney and am looking at resales. Initially I thought 50 points would be a good starting point, until some long-time DVCers told me with 3 kids I would be making a mistake with that low amount.
So now I'm thinking maybe 100 would be the right number, we'd go every 2-3 years and would probably want a 2 bedroom for 4-5 nights.
Is SSR more desirable than OKW due to the longer expiration timeframe? How hard/easy is it to book these at the 7 month mark? How about the BCV and BWV at 7 months?
Thanks for the help. We'll be down there in March to go on a two day trip. Any thoughts if the resale prices for SSR and OKW going to go up soon??
Thanks!!

When we bought in we chose SSR because it had the longer time frame and my "baby" was 14 at the time. We are looking forward to spending many years there with our grandchildren and then of course pass it along to them down the road.

I was able to book a 1 bedroom at BW in April 2006 with a 2 week notice. I've also booked a 2 bedroom at BC for Feb on a 4 month notice. Lucky? Who knows? We go with the midset that as long as we can stay somewhere we are happy. Some say "buy where you want to stay", I'm in the "buy where you don't mind staying" camp.

I also sent you a PM with some additional info.

100 points will give you 200 points every other year or 300 every three years (by banking and borrowing).

200 points is enough for 4 or 5 nights in a 2BR USUALLY. In the Adventure Seasons, it will be enough at most of the resorts no matter what days they are. In the premier season, you may be limited to sun-thur nights at OKW and SSR. Check out the DVC points Charts link above to see how these numbers fit with your desired travel.

I would get yourself on the resale lists from the Timeshare Store asap! Maybe let the 100 point contract be what you request, but be aware that sometimes those are harder to get past ROFR.

In your situation, I'd likely go with SSR for the added years.

Thanks!!

Young family I would go with SSR for sure...

You could buy 50, see how it goes, and add-on any amount over 25 (50 for financing) from Disney directly. And no closing costs for the add-on.

But if you know you'll want the two bedroom for sure 100 points does make sense.

We usually had six people on our trips so we started with 100 points at SSR (resale through TSS). We thought we'd go every other year too. After the first trip we added two 60 points contracts (through Disney) since we seem to go more often. Down the road, if we don't need as many points, we'll sell off a few. All our contracts are in the same UY and at SSR since we wanted the extra years. We love SSR, but would be happy staying almost anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter