Security

OnlyDisney

DIS Veteran
We’re heading back to the parks for the first time since March 2020. I was reading that security into the parks is different now. I saw mentioned we need to pull out umbrellas and sunglass cases to hold in front of us.

What about metal water bottles? Anything metal like keys or other items?

We’re heading back to the parks for the first time since March 2020. I was reading that security into the parks is different now. I saw mentioned we need to pull out umbrellas and sunglass cases to hold in front of us.

What about metal water bottles? Anything metal like keys or other items?
Keys and cellphone can stay in your bag or pockets but large video camera battery packs and other large items need to come out. My cardboard prism shaped sunglasses case in our backpack got my husband pulled over twice before we figured out that was the problem.

If you have several larger metal items, it might be good to bring a gallon ziplock bag and toss the items in there before you go through security. Just hold out that bag in front of you while you go through.

We all had big 32Z hydro flasks in our backpacks and never got stopped for that. I only ever took out the umbrella and held in front of me and didn't get stopped once in 8 park days. My wife did have a metallic glittery sunglass case that she got pinged on a few times. After that she just took it out every time. All in all though I'm amazed at whatever technology they implemented to hasten the process. It is so much faster now than it was just a few years ago.

Glad for this...we have stainless steal water bottles that are awesome for keeping drinks cold. We will keep them in our backpack and put them through security.

Glad for this...we have stainless steal water bottles that are awesome for keeping drinks cold. We will keep them in our backpack and put them through security.
I would take the water bottles out and hold them in front of you. Your backpack stays on your back or in your hands, it doesn’t go through a separate screening anymore - unless the scanner sees those big shadows from the water bottles, which will cause you to be pulled over for an inspection by the guard. That’s the beauty of the new machines - you just walk through! No putting your bag on a table, no unzipping zippers, no one looking through your bag - as long as you carry those big water bottles in front of you instead of leaving them in the backpack.

I would take the water bottles out and hold them in front of you. Your backpack stays on your back or in your hands, it doesn’t go through a separate screening anymore - unless the scanner sees those big shadows from the water bottles, which will cause you to be pulled over for an inspection by the guard. That’s the beauty of the new machines - you just walk through! No putting your bag on a table, no unzipping zippers, no one looking through your bag - as long as you carry those big water bottles in front of you instead of leaving them in the backpack.

Thanks for that. I didn't realize that either!

In my experience (YMMV), the things you need to take out of your bag are:
Umbrellas
Glasses cases
External power bricks
Metal water bottles (although oddly, this one seems spotty)

As mentioned, just take these items out, hold them out away from your body, and walk through the scanner.

Also, they really don't want you to wait until you get to the scanner to stop and pull that stuff out. They want the line to keep moving and are pretty vocal about it.

Steve

In my experience (YMMV), the things you need to take out of your bag are:
Umbrellas
Glasses cases
External power bricks
Metal water bottles (although oddly, this one seems spotty)

As mentioned, just take these items out, hold them out away from your body, and walk through the scanner.

Also, they really don't want you to wait until you get to the scanner to stop and pull that stuff out. They want the line to keep moving and are pretty vocal about it.

Steve

Two weeks ago, they were more than vocal. Rude, surly, and aggressive are my adjectives. Disney Springs garage CM was barking orders pretty unintelligibly. Poor signage didn’t help things. Lots of unhappy and surprised faces in the crowd.

Boarding the monorail at the Grand Flo, a security CM was really unpleasant and lectured me about my sunglasses case and phone battery for so long, we missed the monorail.

I’m about as rule-followy as they come, but the new security screening and CM power-trip attitudes about it left a really bad impression.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter