Security Metal Detectors

Poppins2010

Mouseketeer
I haven't been to the parks since this feature was added to the security procedures. Do men need to take off their belts to pass through, similar to the airport? I'm wondering if it is worth getting my DH a metal-free belt.

If the belt sets off the alarm, they just wand you and make you show the back of the buckle. I don't remember ever having to take off my belt.

It is unlikely to pick up your belt. They are just metal detectors, not like scanner machines at airports. Some belts with a fancy buckle may set it off, but they will just wand you at that point and I don't think a basic belt should cause any issues.

My DH has never had to take off his belt, but he wears generic cheap belts that probably have an aluminum buckle. The hardware in my leg has never set it off either, and it usually does at airports so I don't think they have the sensitivity turned up too high.

Hubs sets it off every time with one of his belt buckles, but not every one of his buckles. They wand him, then have him show them the buckle, and flip it over to see the back. Then on our way we go.

I had my disney lanyard(no pins on it) set it of before. I think it just depends on how they have it set.

They are set much lower than airport security. Belts do not need to come off and a typical buckle does not set them off. Larger ones may as mentioned above but I have never had an issue

My Mom had a knee replacement and her metal in the knee sets it off about 50% of the time. The hotel scanner almost never goes off but in the parking structure it does. It is very strange but they can also tell on the scanner where on you that the issue is. I usually tell the security person as my Mom comes through that she has had a knee replacement on the left knee which is what the scanner tells them. She gets wanded only about half the time now.

At WDW weirdly, I was grabbing my phone to stick in the bowl and pulling off my button and they said those would not set it off, and it didn't. But at Disneyland they sure do if you forget!

Unless the belt buckle is really huge and all metal, it won't set off the detector's at WDW. Even if it does, its a simple winding which won't take more than 30 seconds.

I wouldn't worry about it. I went through multiple times with metal eyeglasses a belt with metal buckle, a car remote, and pocket change. I removed a lot of stuff like keys and my mobile phone, but it was never required to take that much off.

All depends on how sensitive the metal detectors are set. I was wearing a wrist brace last trip. In the morning, I set off the metal detector, they wanded my arm and I was good to go. When I came back in the evening, I didn't set it off.

Last weekend, we went through the detectors at Pixar Pals and at the GCH. Both times I was wearing my metal badge reel with some metal charms on it. CMs at both locations admired the badge reel, did not make me take it off, and sent me right through the detectors. The alarm did not go off. So, as pp have noted, a normal sized belt buckle shouldn't set off the alarm. However, DH's suspenders (regular Dapper Day type wear) set the alarms off every single time at every bag check location. lol...

You never know with these things. A few times I've forgotten to take a small metal object out of my little jeans pocket and I've gotten that past metal detectors. Let's just say it would violate rules to bring one in, although I didn't have any bad intent.

I've also forgotten about the same item when I had a gate pass to accompany someone at an airport terminal. I didn't specifically need to be there, but it would have been helpful. I can say that the millimeter wave scanner fully identified this item and the location on my body. I ended up getting it back but gave up getting into the gate area.

Every time I wear a reversible belt, that combined with the battery in my insulin pump is enough metal to set it off. Regular belt buckles+my pump do not.

Same is true in the TSA Precheck line for that matter.

I've worn the reversible belts from Costco for a few years, and they set off the metal detector every time. I take it off even though they say it's not necessary. Even though its a quick wipe with the wand, they still stop the line for about 10 seconds while they check you.

Can I go through on my scooter or must I get off, go through, then they bring the scooter?
When using a scooter, security will direct you to drive through the open area between two metal detectors. They'll ask you if you feel comfortable walking through the metal detectors or would prefer to be wanded. If you feel comfortable walking, you leave your scooter just past the metal detectors and walk through. If you prefer to be wanded, it's very non-invasive and you will not have to stand while they wand you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!