Security Lines in the Parks

My digital camera (yep, still have my Kodak 9-megapixel) sometimes causes an alert, sometimes not. My mobile phone and portable charger never alert. Last week I went to all four WDW parks and both UO parks and had to step aside one time. Assuming the system is still effective from a security standpoint, it does seem much improved.

My sunglasses case would set it off. MY kids also have a ton of pins and keychains on their backpacks and that sets it off sometimes too.
Has anyone had their drink bottles inspected? Not sure how I feel about security opening my water bottle.

I was there last week. Held the umbrella out and still got pulled aside for the empty every thing out my pockets and get scanned with the handheld one. This policy needs to be fixed.

Also be aware children can and do get pulled...and in my experience they were not happy that I stood in line with my child rather than making them stand alone to be bag checked (without a bag...child was holding the umbrella and that was it).

I was there last week. Held the umbrella out and still got pulled aside for the empty every thing out my pockets and get scanned with the handheld one. This policy needs to be fixed.
I agree. I prefer Universal's procedures which involve a scanner like the airport. Never got pulled out there.

While the above article won't say what the changes are, this one does. they are asking guests (specifically at Epcot, no reports from the other parks yet) to remove any bottled or canned items from their bags, apparently to confirm that they are not alcoholic beverages. Not sure if you do this before being scanned or after.

https://www.kennythepirate.com/2022...now-in-place-for-disney-world-security-lines/
Epcot was the only place I was pulled out last week. They lightly poked around in my backpack a little (had a water bottle in there, didn't ask to remove or inspect it) and did the hand held body scanner.

Oh, for heaven’s sake, are they seriously making everyone wait in a 30 minute security line to ensure they’re maximizing their profit on in-park alcohol sales?
Wow, my thought was completely different - I thought they might be trying to reduce the number of drunks in the parks, especially Epcot. DH also told me he reads lots of FB posts from people bragging about smuggling alcohol into MK. So I thought it’s intended to minimize drunkenness instead of maximize revenue. Amazing how many different points of view there can be.

Last edited:
i have a backpack going through security.
I take out the camera, umbrella, battery pack, hold them out in front of me a I go through the scanner and have never been stopped in several years.

So it sounds like I’m going to have to take out practically the entire contents of my bag just to even get through the new scanners....

Wow, my thought was completely different - I thought they might be trying to reduce the number of drunks in the parks, especially Epcot. DH also told me he reads lots of FB posts from people bragging about smuggling alcohol into MK. So I thought it’s intended to minimize drunkenness instead of maximize revenue. Amazing how many different points of view there can be.
Doesnt really apply to me or my situation i believe. But yes many thoughts? I feel, and this is just my opinion, But i can see both points...... Dont bring in alcohol, so IF you want that youll need to buy it. But as for level of DRUNKNESS? lets face it if a person wants to drink they will drink regardless of the barriers just going to cost them more to reach that level BUT wont stop them if they desire to reach that level. Personally I like cold beer EPCOT reviewing makes me smile and i think hmmm 1 beer at every Pavillion ya id be a little slobbery maybe. FACT for me is I dont want to DULL or HAZE my experience. (2) Alcohol and sun dont mix well(for me) No lessons to teach here asI am sure most of us at some point can relate to an experience where alcohol and heat have had a Negative affect on our bodies. (DEHYDRATES) although on my DECK is a good combo, performance wise not so good I dont want to pay the already increasing prices of EVERYTHING to be Numb or hazed.... NOW seriously a drink or 2 at din or cold beer in room fridge YUP. But this is a unique vacation for me and family so Cant afford to miss a thing XD. I feel the searching of the beverage containers I MAY have a problem with? IDK Seems a little over kill. never been to WDW yet Planning my trip now so i guess we will see. but as far as a deterrent to reducing drunkenness in a park IDK I feel there are more ways to hide and smuggle than security can think of. So really the more effective way to manage the problem is POLICING the level of intoxication in the park. Anyways could be a heated topic for sure. But i dont know all the ins and outs of WDW and fall more into the SHEEP side of rules. XD

The fact that they continue to serve obviously drunk people with impunity during the festivals belies the idea, at least in my opinion, that they really care about how drunk people are.

There has been a LOT of traffic on some Disney-related social media lately about smuggling alcohol into the parks, and it increases as the prices rise. A lot of those "drunk with impunity" have either been "pregaming" or have brought in their own alcohol to avoid paying $$$$ to the mouse, also to avoid having to go to a TS restaurant in Magic Kingdom.

The assumption was just on Kenny the Pirate's side so it's really unknown if they have a different reason for it, could be the shape of it much like TSA will screen things that make a certain shape.

That said I'm sure some people smuggle in but IF they actually are doing bottles including sunscreen they would basically be doing it like before because the amount of guests who bring in these items is pretty much everyone.

How would Disney even inspect this stuff on a large scale? I mean my collapsible water bottle is technically 100% always open, there was never a screw cap like a water bottle (there is a cap but it was never a sealed one), then there's the tsa sized bottle we use for hand sanitizer, for sunscreen, etc. None of that stuff is going to be closed. All of these things and more will 100% be open on just about every guests. I wouldn't mind if they need to have those gathered together in one bag rather than scattered about the backpack but to actually open the water bottle, the lotion bottle, the sunscreen bottle and the hand sanitizer bottle and that's just for 2 of us, I'm just envisioning it's a different thing they are doing/going on.

I'm not sure if they are really going about doing this for all guests that they would go through the headache of it just for potential smuggling of alcohol, but of course I could be wrong.

Keep in mind if this is just Epcot they are missing a huge chunk of people who take the monorail over.

I think they will just eyeball the items to make sure they aren't cans of beer or something. Won't stop the smuggling process except for the most blatant, but with the new system they were bringing in full six packs.

The only place to get alcohol in MK is at a sit-down restaurant.

I think they will just eyeball the items to make sure they aren't cans of beer or something. Won't stop the smuggling process except for the most blatant, but with the new system they were bringing in full six packs
A 6 pack is decidedly different than just a bottle, going to a system of inspecting every bottle even eyeballing is a revert to the past completely and in terms of catching offenders for beer not that I wouldn't put it past Disney but it's a Swiss cheese plot with more cons than pros on their end if the goal is trying to keep out smugglers of beer.

As for TS at MK this is being done at Epcot so far the information has, let's try not to assume why someone does or doesn't go to a TS place at MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter