Second All in One Disneyland TR Thread - Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout Review 5/30-6/2

What a nice installment! It sounds like you enjoyed your dinner at CC. I think DH and I may try it in December. Did you make reservations way in advance?

That light post in the middle of your viewing would have been a disappointment for me too. It's very distracting.

I enjoyed your pictures (as always) and smiled at the MFWOD!

TK

That lens did well on the train going round. Nice night time shots too.

Interesting to note that you can dine at CCR and possibly get a WoC FP without doing the dining package. I might do that some day.

Oswald!!!! I hope he'll be around in December.

Fabulous photos Bret, really. :goodvibes

Carthay Circle is gorgeous and dinner looks delicious. I am always weary about ordering steak anywhere other than a steakhouse but that looks crazy good.

It was nice to see Oswald that day and wish that we waited in line to meet him since this was his first time greeting the guests.

Thank you Jenny.

The CCR is so amazing. The Grilled New York Angus was nice. Just like you, it is tough not to order a steak at a nice restaurant like the CCR which I could have got something else. The New York Angus look so good when I looked at the pictures that I had to get it.

What a nice installment! It sounds like you enjoyed your dinner at CC. I think DH and I may try it in December. Did you make reservations way in advance?

That light post in the middle of your viewing would have been a disappointment for me too. It's very distracting.

I enjoyed your pictures (as always) and smiled at the MFWOD!

TK

Thank you TK. Dinner at the CCR was nice and glad that DAW liked it where DAF didn't like it that much for the price. Hope you are able to eat there for your December trip. I made the reservations inside 60 days which was not that bad where we were able to get the first dinner time at 4:30pm. If you are thinking of eating at the CCR for your trip, I would make the reservations when it is available at the 60 day mark since it could be busy during your trip where our trip was not that bad.

We were not that happy of where the handicapped section for the CCR dining area was located. To spend around $60 for that spot is a waste of money. I would watched the show from the regular spot for the dining area instead of sitting there. It was a letdown from that spot and one thing for sure is that we won't do the dining package if we have to watch at that spot again.

Thank you TK. It was nice to play with the lens and get the nice pictures of MFWoD. I believed you heard about the guests getting stuck on MFWoD a few days ago and were up there for 2 hours. That must have been crazy and scary.

That lens did well on the train going round. Nice night time shots too.

Interesting to note that you can dine at CCR and possibly get a WoC FP without doing the dining package. I might do that some day.

The Sigma lens did well as a test bed to see if I like it or not. I didn't get too many great pictures with that rented lens and hope that the new unused Sigma lens would be even better.

I have read about this on the WoC Superthread and heard from other people that if you ordered the amount or more per person for the WoC dining package, you will be able to get the WoC reserved FP's.

The next post will be up shortly.

[post=52396472]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 3 – September 16th, 2014 – Part 1

Morning with Alice and a look at the FNSV Lagoon without the Walls

After another great day at the DLR even though it was hot again that day and it was a shorten day which the parks were open for 10 hours during the shorten off-season during the Halloween season. Now it was the last day which is always the saddest part of any trips. While it was tough to leave the Happiest Place on Earth, it was time to head back to the real world.

On that Tuesday just like Monday, the parks don’t open till 10am which is the off season. So once again, we didn’t have to get up early that morning but I did get up early to pack up all of our bags. So I spent part of the morning packing the bags up and putting them in the car since we had to check out of the hotel at 12pm. Since the park opens at 10am, we had to get all of our stuff out.

Before we head on over to the parks, we went up to have breakfast on the third floor of Best Western Anaheim Inn.

After finishing breakfast upstairs, we went back to the room to get any of our stuff out of the room. Then we checked out of the room and head on over to the DLR that morning.

When we entered the DLR that morning it was after 10am and most of the guests were already in the parks and it was a good thing that it wasn’t that busy that morning to get in like the other day.

We decided to head on over to DL to go one some rides that we weren’t able to do the first two days. The Disneyland Band was playing out in front of Main Street.

A look at the Halloween pumpkins on Main Street.

There were a lot of people walking up on MS that morning.

We decided to ride Alice in Wonderland since DAW has not ride the new version where she has rode the old version. She didn’t get to ride it back in June since it was still under refurbishment and it opened a few weeks after we left. So this time it was a sure thing that we will ride AiW before we leave that day.

The wait time to ride AiW was at 20 minutes. But we didn’t have to get in the queue since there was a CM right at the exit of the ride. Just like the Haunted Mansion Holiday where we didn’t have to wait in the queue but come back later at the wait time which was 20 minutes. We gave our AP’s to the CM and she scan it and told us to return 20 minutes later that day in order to ride AiW.

While we were waiting until it was time to ride AiW, we stayed in Fantasyland until it was time. While we were walking around, I looked back on over at the Frozen M&G queue to get FP’s that day and the line was all the way back towards the Village Haus restaurant entrance area. Just like the other day when we got FP’s for the Frozen M&G. This time we came early and the FP’s were still being distributed by the CM’s

We went inside the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique store and were talking about DD4 who she went with us during the January 2013 trip with her mom and she was thinking of getting a Elsa dress at the store. But it was difficult since she was not here but DAW knew her size. It didn’t make any sense to buy it at DL since they are way more than buying it from somewhere else. So she decided to wait when we got back to Sacramento.

It was time to head on over to ride AiW since the 20 minutes went by so quickly.

When we got back to AiW, we head on over to the CM at the exit and she scanned our tickets and told us to go through the exit and the CM will get us on board a caterpillar. DAW was looking forward to riding AiW that morning and I wanted to try out the Sigma lens on the ride.

It was fun to ride AiW that morning without waiting in the queue.

Entering the world of Alice in Wonderland

After looking at the pictures when I got home from the trip since I couldn’t see them very closely on my DSLR and I was so disappointed that most of the dark ride photos were blurry. This is why I was worried about the Sigma lens when I used it on the other dark rides (PotC and HMH). Somehow the autofocus tried to focus again where it just made it worse. Even when I turn off the autofocus, my hand sometimes touches the autofocus ring. I have learned of the strengths and weakness of the Sigma lens.

This was one of my best dark ride shots with the Sigma lens in which it was focus at that time.

During this part of taking pictures with the Sigma lens, I know what the problem with the lens is that It has problems focusing and staying as is where it tried to re-autofocus the picture and can be not focus. I have done some more research on the lens after the trip and see what the problem was and there wasn’t much about it. It could have been the lens that was the problem but I will not know until I try it again for the upcoming trip.

After getting off AiW, DAW liked the new version which was updated. I kind of like it but I always will like the original version of AiW before the enhancements and safeties.

When she got her ECV, we had to see again if my favorite ride is up and running. That morning, we did see some Monorails running on the tracks when we were entering DL that morning and hope that it will be and running.

We walked all the way from FL and over to Tomorrowland to see if the Monorail was running. And when we got to TL and passing by the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage lagoon, Monorail Mark VII Orange was at the station and seeing people at the station shows that it is finally up and running. So we head on over to ride the Monorail that afternoon.

We head on over to ride the Monorail that morning. But before we head on over to ride the Monorail, we looked at the FNSV queue and most of the walls are now down covering the Lagoon since early January. It was nice to see the FNSV walls are down. We are looking forward to riding the FNSV for our upcoming trip which is less than a week away till our trip.

It was so nice to see the lagoon without the walls even up on the TL Monorail station.

We waited until Mark VII Red arrived at the station.

Instead of taking the ECV on board the Monorail, we left it at the TL station since we plan on riding a round trip.

That will be it for this post and stay tune while riding the Highway in the Sky.

[post=52419479]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

[post=52419458]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 3 – September 16th, 2014 – Part 2

Finally the Monorail is running and Halloween Dec/Merch

We boarded Monorail Mark VII Red and rode it to the Downtown Disney station. The DL Monorail is my favorite ride at the DLR and it is the one that I always have to ride no matter what. During most of the trip, it was down and I was surprised that it wasn’t running the first two days of the trip. Luckily it was running on Tuesday.

Passing by Disney California Adventure Buena Vista Street.

The Monorail stopped at Downtown Disney and we stayed in the Monorail and head on back to Tomorrowland.

Main Street station looks nice with the Halloween decorations including the turnstiles at the bottom.

We entered Tomorrowland and going over the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage lagoon. It is so nice to see the lagoon all filled back up again and it won’t be too long until I get to ride it again in less than a week.

Matterhorn Mountain

About to enter the Tomorrowland Monorail Sation and a look at the FNSV lagoon.

Looks like one of the subs is being tested that afternoon.

After we rode the Monorail, I wanted to head over to Mickey’s Toontown to see the Halloween decorations on top of the Mickey’s Toontown Depot where I wasn’t able to get some decent pictures of it.

The park was not that busy for most of the day in which it started out busy where everyone came at once at 10am. This is why I don’t like coming to the DLR during the off-season in the morning since everyone will be at the park at the same time.

Monorail Mark VII passing by.

Now entering around It’s a Small World and the tarps are still on the façade of IASW as it is getting it’s much needed work.

This was new for the Halloween season at DL which Mickey’s Toontown Depot is decorated.

Than we head on in Mickey’s Toontown to see other decorations and the gazebo in front of Toontown City Hall was decorated as well.

Just when we looked at all the different Halloween decorations in Mickey’s Toontown, we started to head on out of the park and head back to get the car and head on home to Sacramento. But before we left, DAW wanted to see one more show before we left. So we waited until we watched that show.

The show that DAW wanted to see later that day in the afternoon was Aladdin Musical at DCA. She has really enjoyed watching that show from previous years and I had no problem with it.

Before we head on out of DL and over to DCA, I had to look at the Halloween merchandise before we left that day. DAW was also looking for something for a friend of hers so it was good for both of us to be at the Emporium.

After looking at the different merchandise at the Emporium and we didn’t buy anything since there wasn’t something that we got to have, we head on out of DL and over to the Esplanade.

Just before we left the park that afternoon and head on over to DCA, there was a sign telling the guests that DL will be closing early on Thursday the 18th at 5pm. I would guess that it must be some kind of private party that night.

We walked on out of DL and now over to DCA.

[post=52419487]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

[post=52419479]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 3 – September 16th, 2014 – Part 3

Aladdin Broadway and Going Home

After being in DL for most of our morning and afternoon, we now head on over to Disney California Adventure that afternoon to see the 12:40pm Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular. Since we had to leave that day, it was a good idea to see the 12:40pm show since it was the first one that day and we would be able to hit the road around 2pm.

DCA was quiet to enter the turnstiles that afternoon. Just like the other days where it was warm around in the high 90s to low 100s.

We had some time to kill before we head on over to the Hyperion Theater for the 12:40pm Aladdin show. DAW wanted to get a little drink or smoothie at Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop. Mostly I don’t get anything sweet drink or ice cream at the parks (except at the Tiki Juice Bar) and so DAW got a Mango smoothie.

While we were waiting for the smoothie, Ghirardelli were selling Halloween chocolate.

After she got her smoothie at Ghirardelli, we walked on over to Hollywood Land but we went through Cars Land and A Bug’s Land to the backside of Hollywood Land.

We got to the Hyperion Theater about 20 minutes until the show started at 12:40pm and it was not that bad that afternoon where there were about 30 people in front of us at the Orchestra queue.

While we were waiting, I noticed that we are getting closer to the time when the show starts at 12:40pm. As I have feared that the CM’s were not ready to let the guests in the Hyperion Theater and the show was going to be delayed. We need to leave that afternoon before the SoCal traffic gets worse. It can be a pain when leaving SoCal when the state workers are leaving at the same time as us around 3pm to 6pm.

We were now let in the Hyperion Theater around 1pm which was really late and we were able to get nice center row spot for the show.

The show didn’t start until 1:20pm that afternoon which was really late which is over half an hour late and we were almost about to leave SoCal during the rush hour traffic. But enough of that and now to Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular.

Genie making his usual fun jokes at Jafar.

After the show was over, it was time to head on out of the park and start our long journey back home to Sactwon.

We now left DCA and back at the Esplanade while we head on back to Best Western Anaheim Inn where our car is still parked at the hotel. This is why I like about BWAI since when we checked out of our room, we can leave our car at the hotel until 3pm that day. So we had some fun time at the DLR before we left.

It was around 2:30pm when we got back to the hotel. It was a little late when we wanted to leave SoCal and back home to Sactown But it was no problem even though we will get caught in the traffic.

We left Anaheim around 3pm and we did get caught a little bit in the traffic around Burbank where there was an accident on the highway. We didn’t leave SoCal until 5pm which was late. But at least we got out of SoCal before it got even worse.

Before we head on back home to Sacramento, we stopped in Bakersfield to have dinner that night. We ate at Black Angus restaurant. It was nice to eat at Black Angus since there is no Black Angus restaurant in Sacramento. The only one I can think of is at Citrus Heights that has the closest Black Angus restaurant around Sacramento.

We didn’t get home until 10:30pm that night which we made our usual stops of fueling the car that night. I mostly drove all the way back home where DAW was able to drive part of the way.

This concludes the September trip. This was a nice trip with DAW where we were able to go back to the DLR during the Halloween season which was the first weekend. We were able to do most of the activities that we wanted to do from the shows, Haunted Mansion Holiday, RSR, Monorail, etc. It was good that she had an AP since she renewed her AP back in June. The weather was really hot during all three days but this was not the worse weather I have experienced in September.

Overall the trip was good even though the weather was bad. Now I am looking forward to my next trip with DAF in less than 6 days away. This trip will be a fun one where PiO (PrincessInOz) will be in town on October 10th to the 19th which she will be here shortly in the U.S. We will also be with Alison (franandaj) during our day at the parks. Our dates that we will be in the parks are on the 14th during Mickey’s Halloween Party) and the 15th. Originally I thought PiO wouldn’t come to the U.S. this year after she came last year. It was great to hear that she is coming down and spending some time with family members who live in SoCal and she, her DH and DS will have some time to spend in SoCal. You can follow PiO trip report: [post=52190357] PTR OCT 2014: Save the Date Mad Dash: Two Sleeps to Go #1054 (10/08)[/post] It won’t be too long until the trip and we are all looking forward to the DISMeet.

Thank you for following along the September trip report and I’ll post live updates and pictures from the trip.

Sounded like a great trip despite the weather. I hadn't heard about people being stuck on MFWoD. YIKES. :scared1:

Glad your next trip is coming up soon and that you'll be able to meet up with some DISers.

TK

Just got back from MHP tonight 10/14 and here are some pictures from tonight and i'll post more later on during the trip or when I get back home.

It was sold out tonight.

Hi Bret,
It's fun to actually see YOU in a picture and such a great one too. What was the treat in the Annual Passholder line?

I'll look forward to seeing more from your trip. I hope you enjoyed the Halloween party.

TK

Hi Bret,
It's fun to actually see YOU in a picture and such a great one too. What was the treat in the Annual Passholder line?

I'll look forward to seeing more from your trip. I hope you enjoyed the Halloween party.

TK

Hi TK,

It was a fun party last Tuesday. There was a special AP Holder line right at the Opera House where Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is located where AP holders get treats during the party. I am writing up my report so it will be up shortly.

Great shots! Looking forward to seeing the rest of them. ;)

Thanks PiO. That is only a portion from MHP and more will be coming shortly.

Day 1 – October 14th, 2014 – Part 1

Got To SoCal Safely, DISMeet #1 PrincessInOz and Party Time

It’s time for the first day of the trip in October during the Halloween season with DAF (my mom’s sister). I was there not too long ago which is about a month ago during the first weekend of the Halloween season at the Disneyland Resort with DAW. The last trip was all about having a nice relaxation trip and seeing the Halloween decorations at the DLR. Just like other years during the Halloween season where it is all decorated at DL from the Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy, Halloween Carnival, Dia de Los Muertos, Ray Bradbury Halloween tree, food, merchandise, etc. DAW had a blast going back to the DLR during the Halloween season in which she is getting good use out of her Annual Pass since she renewed it back in June.

For this trip, we came down to the DLR during the weekdays since DISer PrincessInOz was here during that week in SoCal since they are from Australia. I had DISMeets with PiO in the past from 2012 in San Francisco where I did meet her for the first time and last year in September 2013 during the Last Second DISers Meet Up & Halloween Trip. She is with her family DH and DS during the trip and this was another great opportunity to hang out with PiO and her family during the Halloween season at the DLR. This will be DAF first time meeting them since all those times were solo trips. The five of us will be attending MHP on Tuesday and we will be meeting up with DISer Alison franandaj on Wednesday at the parks. This was going to be a great DISMeet seeing PiO and Alison during the trip. It was also DAF and my first time attending Mickey’s Halloween Party since 2010 when the party was moved from DCA to DL. The first time when I attended the party, it was unorganized where the parties at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World (Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party & Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party) are well organized. Since 2010, I have heard that MHP is well organized and it should be fun to attend that party. It has been a long time since I attended MHP and looking forward to the party that day.

Also during the trip, I am using a new toy during the trip. Recently during the September 2014 trip with DAW, I rented the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens and was impressed with the quality of using it for the dark rides and at night. But there were times where I was not satisfy with the lens where it didn’t focus correctly and the pictures turned out blurry. I thought it was the lens that was the problem since it was a rental or it does have that problem. So this time just about a few weeks until the trip, I purchase the Sigma lens as one of my new lenses that I own. I am hoping that this Sigma lens will be better than the rental one that I used during the September trip.

Now let’s get to the trip report.

It was around 6am in the morning on Tuesday where DAF picked me up at my house. Since we were meeting up with PiO and her family and attending Mickey’s Halloween Party that Tuesday, we wanted to get to SoCal early so we are able to get in the park when the party attendees are allowed to enter the park at 3pm 3 hours before the party starts at 6pm. So we left Sacramento around 6am that morning and head straight on over to SoCal.

When we packed all of our stuff in the car, we started our journey down to SoCal. On the way down to SoCal, we stopped at my grandmother’s house in Livingston where it is nice to see her and take a break while heading on down to SoCal. For most of the way, I drove down most of the way to SoCal while she drove part of the way as well.

When we got into SoCal, it was a little busy that afternoon but the traffic was not that bad around noon. We got to Anaheim 1:30pm that afternoon which is about 7 hours to SoCal with all the stops and getting something to eat.

We head straight on over to our hotel which was Best Western Anaheim Inn. Just like during the September trip with DAW, we are staying at BWAI again. DAF and I mostly stay at BWAI when we come to Anaheim and it wasn’t too long ago when we were here back in April 2014 trip. But the hotel was still under construction and this time it was up and running where she will see the hotel all completed.

We checked-in at bWAI and we were located on the first floor and at the end of the second building. I didn’t want to be in the second building since it was a longer walk on Harbor Blvd. But our room was ready so we decided to get the room and move all our stuff in so we wouldn’t have to come back later that day and check-in for our room.

PiO and her family were already at the DLR before we got there. I believe it was around noon when they were in Anaheim. They were staying at Candy Cane Inn but they weren’t able to check-in to their hotel until 3pm. So they spend the first part of the day at Downtown Disney having lunch and looking around.

While they were having lunch, we just waited in our room until they went back to the room and check-in. We plan on meeting with them at our room that afternoon since I have the tickets for MHP that Tuesday.

It was pass 3pm and they arrived at our room at BWAI. It was so nice to see PiO, DH and DS again since the 2012 trip and she was able to meet DAF for the first time. After talking for a while, we started to head on out of the hotel and on our way to the DLR to attend MHP that day.

PiO and her DH brought there tripods for that night since we are planning on getting pictures that night including the Halloween Screams fireworks. PiO loves to take a lot of pictures and I always admire her pictures during her trip reports. I have learned a lot from her over the last couple of years including of changing my style of photography. This was going to be fun to be able to take pictures with them during the trip and learn more about the Sigma lens. PiO also bought the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens for her Canon. It was going to be fun to take pictures with PiO with the Sigma lenses and learn what setting to use.

We all went together to DLR that afternoon around 3:30pm to attend MHP. The party started until 6pm but we were able to get in 3 hours before the party started. I knew that going the first three hours would be busy with the regular guests and the party attendees.

No surprised that it was sold out that night.

When we approached the MHP turnstiles which is separated from the regular and party turnstiles, there was quite a number of people even around 3:30pm that afternoon which we did have to wait in the queues to enter DL. There were a lot of people all dressed up for the party and there were a lot of interesting costumes.

After going through the turnstiles, there were CM’s waiting to give the guests the bags and put the wristband on the guests. Just like in 2010, the area is all roped off from the party attendees and regular guests so that there won’t be any non-party guests getting the wristbands for the party.

The wristbands aren’t that special like the ones at WDW for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party or Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. But these are way better over the 2010 which is just a simple purple band without any letters.

The party didn’t start until 6pm (we got in around 4pm) so we had about 2 hours until it started and less than one hour until the pre-party began at the Halloween Carnival and Mickey’s Toontown. The park was a little busy that day just around 4pm with both the regular guests and the party attendees that day. I know that it was going to be busy with all the guests in at once for 3 hours so we were prepared for that event that night.

Just like back in 2010, MS Town Square was all decorated with MHP lights which are ghosts and pumpkins with Mickey’s face on them. During the regular days during the Halloween season, those light are not out and only available during the party.

While we were in the park, we were able to watch the 4pm Mickey’s Soundsational Parade coming from Main Street Town Square to It’s a Small World Plaza. We were able to find a nice spot at Main Street right by the Disney Showcase store which is across from the Emporium and we were able to watch the parade that day.

After the parade was over, it felt like the park was busy with both groups at the park at the same time. It didn’t feel like Christmas break crowds where the park will be super busy. But it was busy for just a Tuesday.

Than we were able to go on over to Frontierland to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad with only a 20 minute wait time.

Our picture while in BTMRR queue.

Just when we were about to ride BTMRR, DAF decided not to ride it since she doesn’t like to go on roller coasters. But she was able to ride back in April when t reopened in March. When we were riding BTMRR, I used the GoPro instead of taking pictures during the ride experience while PiO and DH were taking pictures on the ride. Mostly I would use the GoPro with the head mount strap but this time I was using the GoPro Pole to videotape us riding the BTMRR. It was new for me to take selfies with the GoPro while I am on the opposite side.

After riding BTMRR, it was around 5pm and we head on over to Big Thunder Ranch Halloween Carnival which is one of the two pre-party areas for the party attendees to go in. When we were in the Halloween Carnival, it was not that busy where there were some people meeting the characters, playing games and the treat stations. The treat stations were not that busy that day where I have heard from other DISers that Mickey’s Toontown is far busier than at the Halloween Carnival. This is a good place to start for getting candy at the stations since it is not that busy and you will be able to meet some characters and play games.

Than we head on over to Mickey’s Toontown for the pre-party and as expected, most of the Halloween party attendees were in Toontown that day. Most of the treat lines were quite long where the longest we waited in line was about 10 minutes which was not that bad but still long to get candy at three stands. We were able to get candy right by Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin as well as Donald’s Boat. There was a long line to get candy at Mickey and Minnie’s house that we just pass by it.

There were also character meet & greets by City Hall which had three areas. The best one was getting picture with Mickey and Minnie or Chip & Dale. They were in their costumes and we waited a while to get a picture with them. We were hoping to get Mickey & Minnie but we got Chip & Dale. It took about 15 minutes for us to get Chip & Dale where we wanted to get Mickey & Minnie. Also at the character m&g, Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar were getting pictures with the guests and we were able to get pictures with them. Donald, Pluto and Goofy were out there greeting the guests as well.

You don’t see too many pictures of me with DAF during the trip reports and this one was taken by PiO when it was our turn.

Just when the party started at 6pm, we head straight on over to the Hub so we could get our spots for Halloween Screams fireworks. I had some doubts of getting there early since the fireworks start at 9:30pm and wait for 3 hours for a spot for the fireworks. I know that is crazy but I have seen people wait that long or even longer to get a spot for the fireworks. But we all had our DSLR’s and tripods that we wanted to get good pictures of the fireworks that night.

While walking around the parks when the party started, there were CM’s around at certain spots (mostly around the Hub) to check the guests to see if they have a wristband for the party or not. There were some CM’s around the whole park to see if the guests have them. The CM’s were well organized to make sure that the guests have the wristbands to stay in the park that night without being rude.

We had a plan since we had multiple people that night, we got the curb side right close to the Partner statue side and set up our blankets so we can watch the fireworks from my favorite spot. It was a 3 hour wait but we can take turns and let the other party members go do something that night. I am so used to wait for hours for the nighttime shows. The only thing I was concerned that night was the wind. But luckily it wasn’t that windy that night and HS would go as planned.

While DAF was waiting in our spot for HS fireworks, we were able to go to the Emporium to buy MHP merchandise and I was able to buy a shirt along with pins. During the party, DAF and I were able to go to the Opera House during the party since there was an Annual Passholder station where we were able to get a Hero 6 bag and an Annual Passholder rice crispy treat. DAF was glad that we got something out of the MHP ticket since we are AP holders.

While walking around the park during the party, there were projections on the ground and buildings just like at the MK during those parties.

While during the party, the crowds were not that bad as I have thought from hearing from other DISers report the first couple of weeks. Most of the rides didn’t hat those long wait times like during the day where they are at the treat stations, shows, and character m&g.

When passing by some of the rides that night, the wait times for most of them were not that bad. I didn’t go on any rides that night during the party since I spent most of it walking around taking pictures, getting food, shopping and the treat stations.

When it was about one and a half hours until the fireworks, we were asked by the CM’s if we wanted to move up closer to the rope off area to watch the fireworks. I was a little surprised that we were able to move up closely to watch the fireworks that night. I moved up along with PrincessInOz DH to take pictures that night while PiO was with my DAF and her DS at the curb spot. We spent part of our time during the party waiting for HS fireworks and we didn’t regret it one bit since we got good spots for the fireworks.

Sleeping Beauty Castle had the projections on the castle during the party.

It was time for HS at 9:30pm. I was amazed how good the front row spot was since I am used to being in the back for the fireworks. Also the CM’s told the guests that were on the streets to not stand up for the fireworks. This is like what happened during my trip last month where guests are now sitting on the ground instead of standing up like in the past. The DLR must have made this change some time ago where there aren’t that many CM’s managing the area like in the past.

Here are some of my firework trail shots that night from the rope off area.

HS is a little different from 2010 where they added pyro techniques to the show but Zero and the sphere shaped balloon is still the same. When I compare HS fireworks to HalloWishes fireworks at the MK during MNSSHP, I really like HS over HalloWishes where HS has Zero and the sphere on the left hand side of SB Castle.

That will be it for this post and stay tune for the next update.

[post=52493801]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

[post=52493790]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 1 – October 14th, 2014 – Part 2

Mickey’s Costume Party Cavalcade and closing out the Night

After HS fireworks was over, we went on over to Frontierland to see the Rivers of America and it was blanket with fog. DAF decided to head on back to the hotel since it was late that night and we were just going around taking pictures that night.

Most of the treat stations around Frontierland were quite busy that night even after the fireworks from the Golden Horseshoe & Rancho del Zocalo. The one that was fast was close to the RoA that night while most of the treat stations were quite busy.

We were able to get a nice spot by the Hub for the 10:30pm Mickey’s Costume Party Cavalcade. I remember during the 2010 when the cavalcade was used for the party and it is almost exactly the same (but without the honoring guests that are in the cavalcade). MCPC is not even a parade like Mickey’s Boo-to-You Halloween Parade at the MK during MNSSHP.

The first cavalcade was way more packed over the second one where you are able to see it with little wait time around Main Street.

Some pictures from that night. Including the Frozen pre-parade that is used during Mickey’s Soundsational Parade.

Projection on the MS buildings during the party.

On the streets. This is like how MNSSHP does the same thing where DL has incorporated.

After the cavalcade was over, we started to head on out of the park since it was close to 11pm which is the closing time and we were able to see the Disney Villians show at MS Town Square that night just before 11pm.

We head on out of the park and on our way back to the hotels. PiO, DH and DS went on over to the bus pickup area since Candy Cane Inn had a shuttle back to their hotel while I walked on back to BWAI that night. We parted our ways that night and it was great to spend MHP with PiO, DH and DS along with DAF. We will meet them the next day at the park which will also be a fun time as well.

It was around 11:30pm when I got back to the hotel where DAF was resting. This concludes that day.

This was a fun day where we got to spend some time with PiO, DH and DS at DL during MHP that day. We were able to do some fun activities from rides, trick-or-treating, taking pictures of the Halloween decorations, characters, fireworks, etc. This was a great first day attending MHP for the first time since 2010.

As for my observation of MHP this year when I compare it to the 2010 which I attended it the last time and it was well organized and better managed than 2010. There are some things that can be improved to the party just like the one at MK during MNSSHP. Getting candy at the treat stations can be a long wait or short wait while there are some stations that are walk-on’s and some that do take as long as going on a ride at the park. The character m&g were not that bad where I don’t do character m&g that often but it was nice to do some. The characters were all nicely dressed up for the party along with characters that you don’t see too often at the parks. The rides we didn’t since it was all about the party, shows, treat stations, character m&g etc. but they were all manageable with short wait times. We did had to wait a while for Halloween Screams fireworks that night which was less than 3 hours for a prime spot. I thought it was worth it where we were able to see HS at the best spot and the shots proved that. Mickey’s Costume Party Cavalcade hasn’t change much from 2010 but it needs a parade like Mickey’s Boo-to-You Halloween Parade at the MK.

Overall the party was great and we all had a blast. If I wanted to do it again, it would be to enjoy all the full experience of the party instead of waiting for the fireworks. There were some places during the party that we were able to experience like Cadaver Dans, Monsters U Dance Party, some of the trick-or-treating stations and character m&g. I will attend MHP again in the near future maybe in a couple of years unless there is something new added to the party.

Now that Tuesday is over which was great, but the best part of the trip is coming up on Wednesday. So stay tune what happened that Wednesday during the DISMeet trip.

[post=52514888]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

Hi Bret,
If that is your new lens used for the fireworks - WOW the pictures are outstanding :thumbsup2

It's fun that you had a picture taken with your aunt. Most often you are behind the camera so that was a treat.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I really enjoy your trip reports.

TK

Hi Bret,
If that is your new lens used for the fireworks - WOW the pictures are outstanding :thumbsup2

It's fun that you had a picture taken with your aunt. Most often you are behind the camera so that was a treat.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I really enjoy your trip reports.

TK

Hi TK,

Thank you. The lens that I used during Halloween Screams was the Tokina lens. I didn't use the Sigma lens during the fireworks. The problem with using the Sigma that it doesn't have the wide angle like the Tokina when we were up watching HS fireworks. So I used the Tokina instead of the Sigma.

I don't take too many pictures of me or DAF when we go to the parks. But this was special since PiO and her family is with us and we were in those different queues to see the characters.

Your welcome and thanks for following along my trip reports.

The next update will be up shortly.

[post=52493801]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 2 – October 15th, 2014 – Part 1

Meet-up that Morning and Ride City

After a nice day at Disneyland during Mickey’s Halloween Party with PiO and her family, now it was the second day of the trip and another fun day as well. We will also be joined by DISer Alison (franandaj) that afternoon since she was busy that morning. PiO, DH, DS, DAF and I had a great time at MHP that Tuesday night which was well organized.

Since the parks didn’t open until 9am, we got to sleep a little longer that morning which isn’t longer like when the parks open at 10am during the off-season. It was a long day during the party that night where we didn’t leave until 11pm that night.

We got up late that morning around 8am which was a little late for us since we could use that part of the morning to have breakfast at Best Western Anaheim Inn for the continental breakfast. So we just skipped it that morning and got ready to head on out of BWAI and over to the DLR to meet up with PiO and her family at 9am when the parks open.

We head on straight over to the DLR and at the Esplanade. PiO texted me that she was already inside DL that morning and was waiting for us to arrive.

It was a little busy that morning to enter DL but not as worse as like when the park opens at 10am and all the guests are outside waiting to get in.

When we were in the turnstiles to enter DL, I have read before the trip that DL has once again changed the ways of how they scan the guests tickets and take picture of the new ones. This times they are only using one CM at the turnstile which he or she will be doing everything from scanning the tickets to make sure that it belongs to that person (except for AP holders since they have the picture in the database), taking pictures of the new ones, making the guests sign the new tickets, etc. This really drove us nuts that the system where they scan the guest’s park tickets and then go through the turnstile was bad but this was way worse. It almost took twice or three times longer where they had two CM’s for each turnstiles to scan the tickets. We waited almost 5 minutes in front of a family that had e-tickets to be scan, took pictures and signed their tickets. Also they were asking the CM at the turnstiles about some other questions and asked for buttons as well. I was almost about to yell at that family to move where there are other people waiting to get in that morning. Just when we got through the turnstiles, we talked to a CM right by the turnstiles that they need to improve this system where it slows down entering the park and don’t make other guests wait while others are getting their tickets.

We head straight on over to City Hall to meet up with PiO, DH and DS that morning. Now it was time to do some rides that morning at DL. DL was not that full that morning around 9am while most of the guests are walking up to do all different sort of activities.

The first ride we did that morning was Star Tours. Also for the first time, DAF decided to ride with us and go on Star Tours. This is one of the rides that she doesn’t like to go on but it was nice that she decided to go on it with us.

For our experience, we got to start off with the Stormtroopers as the first scene. Also I noticed something different during that scene. Mostly in the past of the new Star Tours, they show a picture of a guests as a rebel and they didn’t show a picture of the guests. On our next journey, we went to the Wookie Planet Kashyyyk. Then we got Princess Leia during the transmission. The show was different as well where they weren’t talking about the spy so this was different. On our last destination was going to the planet Naboo.

After we got off Star Tours, we head straight on over to ride Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. DAF didn’t want to go on that ride as expected so we head on over to ride SMGG that morning. We waited a while to get on the ride that morning in which it was a 20 minute wait time.

It was so difficult to take pictures on SMGG but I was able to get some pictures with the Sigma lens that I was using.

Here is our picture on SMGG and we were lucky to get the first car.

After we rode SMGG, we met up with DAF and our next ride that morning was the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. I was really looking forward to riding the FNSV after it’s long 9 month refurbishment since it was closed in early January. I have been to the parks a few times since I rode it last December during the holiday season. This was one of the rides that we were looking forward to riding during our visit.

We rode Scout 207 that morning.

DH and DS were right next to me where you can barely see PiO and we were all set to take a lot of pictures during our voyage.

When we looked through the porthole, DAF and I were talking about how clean the dock looked. This was the first time DL drained the lagoon since the FNSV opened in 2007 and it needed maintenance. It took almost 7 years for DL to shut down the ride and refurbished it. I remember the old days when it was the Submarine Voyage in the 80s and 90s where it had to be drained in a couple of years to clean and maintain the ride.

When we were riding the FNSV, the lagoon looked so great and clean.

We were now through the waterfall and now in the world of Nemo and friends. The video projections of the characters were more clearer and brighter where the projections were also upgraded during the refurbishment. It was tough to take pictures on the FNSV through the dark tunnel.

Can’t forget about the old sea serpent during the old Submarine Voyage.

Just getting out of Scout after a great voyage in liquid space. It was nice to see the ride all refurbished and looks better than ever since it opened in 2007.

After riding the FNSV, our next ride at Tomorrowland was Autopia. It wasn’t too long when I rode Autopia which was last December. DAF hasn’t rode Autopia in ages. We mostly don’t ride Autopia since we do drive from Sacramento all the way to Anaheim and you can understand why we don’t ride the Autopia. But DAF hasn’t rode it in ages and it was great to ride it to go through Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

I let DAF drive while I was taking pictures.

While we were waiting to head on back to the station, I got my pole out and got a picture of PiO, DH and DS who was driving his own car behind them.

We got off of Autopia and started to go to our next attraction that morning but that will be it for this post and continue on to the next post.

[post=52514908]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

[post=52514888]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 2 – October 15th, 2014 – Part 2

Fantasyland Rides

After we rode Autopia, we head straight on over to our next ride that afternoon. Since we were close Fantasyland, the nearest ride from Tomorrowland was Matterhorn Mountain. So we all decided to head on over to that ride.

When we got to Matterhorn Mountain, DAF decided not to ride the ride and watched all our camera bags. I do have terrible times when riding Matterhorn with the new bobsled where they are not that comfortable riding especially when you have a bag. There is barely any leg room and you can easily get crammed.

We went through the Tomorrowland side instead of the Fantasyland side since that was the best side to go on when riding the Matterhorn. Some people like the FL side or the Tomorrowland side. The TL side can be a little rough over the FL side but there are way more drops on the TL over the FL side which makes it even more fun to go on.

It was nice to ride Matterhorn Mountain that day and I can still remember the tight turns and it was a little rough when riding it. The ride experience was better without the backpack.

After getting off Matterhorn, DS wanted to go on the Tea Cups. Since we were in that area it made sense to go on it. But when we were walking on up, DH, DAF and I decided to pass. So PiO and DS went on the tea cups. I haven’t ridden the Tea Cups in a long time and this is one of the rides that I don’t go too often even if I am asked by my other party members.

Just when PiO and DS got off the Tea Cups, we head on over to It’s a Small World. Luckily IASW was still up and running before it is closed in a week so it would be transformed to It’s a Small World Holiday during the Christmas season in mid November.

Then we got off IASW and head on over to New Orleans Square in order to ride Pirates of the Caribbean. Just when we were walking in NOS, Alison was almost at the DLR that afternoon and we would meet her in NOS that afternoon.

The park was not that busy that afternoon but PotC started to extend the line outside in the walking area of NOS.

It didn’t took too long until we boarded a boat and now on the ride. Passing by Blue Bayou where it was a little pack that afternoon for lunch.

After we got off PotC, we started to head on over to our next attraction that afternoon and will meet up with Alison. Stay tune for the next update what happened that afternoon.

[post=52549930]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

Nice pictures, Bret.

Sorry I'm late to the party; but we've had internet connection issues since we returned.

Looks like you had a great DisMeet. ;)

The pictures from MHP are lovely. Looking back at it, I do wish we had spent more time getting around to the other bits of the party; but given how many people there were, I suspect we would have been trading waiting in one queue for the wait in another queue.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your pictures. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter