Sea Raycers

I have a little question if anybody can answer it..... I have had fun with the Sea Raycers over the years but this upcoming trip will be the first time that I will be w/ my two year old daughter. Will she be allowed to accompany me (or on my wife's sea raycer)? I do not know if there is a height or age limit.

I was told that as long as they can sit up on their own and wear a life jacket they can ride. I thougt they could not so I did not take my DS and whe nI found out I was upset he missed out. But I had fun. lol

I would like to know the answer to that one also. We are staying at th FQ, would we be able to rent one from their? Where are the boundaries set as far as where you can go in the water? :confused3

Our son will be 12 when we are at the Poly in January. I thought I saw somewhere that he could drive a searacer but would that be his own or with adult supervision? Thank you!

He can rent on his own as long as he's 12 and a certain height. Elizabeth posted it the other day...I think it's 5 feet? Not sure.

I would like to know about little one's coming along as well. Would we be able to take our little one on the Boston Whaler? I don't know how I would hang on to her in the Sea Racer...

You could take her on either. The Raycers sit very low in the water. Kind of like the cars at the Tomorrowland Speedway.

I was told that as long as they can sit up on their own and wear a life jacket they can ride. I thougt they could not so I did not take my DS and whe nI found out I was upset he missed out. But I had fun. lol

Yes, our first experience was way back in 83. Our eldest was 3 and rode with DH. Our younger son was just one at the time and rode with me. Good memories.

I would like to know the answer to that one also. We are staying at th FQ, would we be able to rent one from their? Where are the boundaries set as far as where you can go in the water? :confused3

I'm not sure but think you need to go to Riverside to rent.

We rented a pontoon earlier this month and had our first ride on the waters in that area. We've always rented on Seven Seas/Bay Lake in the past. Anyway, it's very clearly marked where you are allowed to go. You can drive to OKW, past the TreeHouse Villas and SSR and all the way to DTD.

What is the cost of the renting the sea racer?:confused3

Sorry, I don't remember. If no one answers, try allears?

any more info out there on the boston whaler?? I saw the pic, I assume it goes faster, any price lists out there??

I don't have the price list but I am thinking that it is cheaper than two Sea Raycers...we have done the pontoons, Boston Whalers, and the Sea Raycers and I may be in the minority but the BW are my favorite. They seem pretty fast to me. We don't boat at home (sigh) but found all three to be very easy.

Wait a minute this can be the first time disney in me talking but I thought the water wasnt safe,What if you accidently fall off arent you doomed?

It would be hard to fall out; but from what I understand the deeper water away from shore is not a threat like slow stagnant water found close to the shore.

i found a price list from petes recent fort wilderness pictures:

sea raycer: $30 for 30 min, $40 for 45 min, $45 for 60 min, and of course if you book a wdw package you get a coupon for buy 60 get 90

boston whaler (seats 6): $45 for 30 min

does anyone know about that voucher with the package - can it be used for more than one racer? if 3 of us get 60 minutes can they all be extended to 90? or is it just one? seems silly to have one person get another 30 minutes and the rest of the family goes back to port!

You'll have to walkor boat over the POR to rent the raycers .... what we plan to do.

4.) Only rent a Sea Raycer from the Polynesian, GF, Contemporary or WL. In doing so you will be able to cruise the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. Renting at any other resort will significantly reduce the amount of water you'll have to play with.

I agree. We rented them when we stayed at the CR and the Poly with the kids when they were younger. They just aren't worth renting at the CSR (where we stay) as the lake is too small. If we decide to do it as two adults traveling alone, we'd definitely head over the Poly to do it.

We plan to rent the sea raycers on upcoming trip. We are staying at the Contemporary.

How long does it take to 'ride' over to Seven Seas Lagoon from Bay Lake? We'd like to go over that way and check out all the views, but also want to speed around the Lake. Just wondering how much time we need.

Thanks for any input!

Our son will be 12 when we are at the Poly in January. I thought I saw somewhere that he could drive a searacer but would that be his own or with adult supervision? Thank you!

We were there last April and our DS was 12 at the time. He was able to drive with my DH but not alone. We were told he will be able to drive by himself when he is 14. He still had a lot of fun just being able to drive with my DH. They are fun. We rent them everytime we go at least 3 times during our trip.

We plan to rent the sea raycers on upcoming trip. We are staying at the Contemporary.

How long does it take to 'ride' over to Seven Seas Lagoon from Bay Lake? We'd like to go over that way and check out all the views, but also want to speed around the Lake. Just wondering how much time we need.

Thanks for any input!

It will take maybe 3 minutes because you have to go through a no wake zone to get there. All of the areas are marked where you can and can't go and the no wake zones are clearly marked as well. We have so many wonderful pictures from the sea raycers.

Does anyone recall where the fastest ones are located? I seem to remember someone saying renting from someplace like CR or Poly were faster than others. Thanks.

I'm going to attempt to answer as many questions as possible from this thread. I work with/around the marinas on a daily basis, so this is fairly reliable information. :thumbsup2

Does anyone recall where the fastest ones are located?
The fastest boats are at the Polynesian, GF, Contemporary, FW, and Wilderness Lodge resorts. They can reach up to 23mph, but typically average between 15-20mph depending on the load weight. Boats at all other resorts average 5-7mph.

How long does it take to 'ride' over to Seven Seas Lagoon from Bay Lake?
As CoachBagFanatic said it only takes about three minutes to travel from one lake to the other, however if any inclimate weather is approaching there is the possibility of "split" lakes, meaning boats rented at FW, CT, and WL will not be allowed in Seven Seas Lagoon and boats from PY and GF will not be allowed in Bay Lake.

Our son will be 12 when we are at the Poly in January. I thought I saw somewhere that he could drive a Sea Raycer but would that be his own or with adult supervision?
In order to drive a Sea Raycer you must be 12 years old AND five feet tall. The CMs are very strict with this requirement. At the PY, GF, CT, WL, and FW resorts they must ride with someone who is over 16 with a valid Driver's License. You must be over 16 with a valid DL to drive alone at these resorts. At all other resorts the requirement is simply 12 years old and five feet tall to drive alone or with a passenger.

If you never boat, how hard are they to handle?
Very easy. The lakes all have large open spaces that allow new drivers to take a little extra time to get used to how the boats handle. Most new drivers get a feel for the steering within 5 minutes of being out on the lake.

What are the prices?
The prices that jessrose18 posted are almost accurate, with a few changes.
Sea Raycer (2 seats): $32 for 30 minutes, $40 for 45 minutes, $45 for 60 minutes
Boston Whaler (6 seats): $45 for 30 minutes
Pontoon (10 seats): $45 for 30 minutes
There are several other varieties of boats offered at various locations, but it is not the same for all resorts.
**Prices are the same at all locations**

Wait a minute this can be the first time disney in me talking but I thought the water wasn't safe. What if you accidentally fall off aren't you doomed?
Not sure what this is about, possibly the several Amoeba fatalies in Florida over the past couple of years? First of all water at Disney is regularly tested. I have been swimming in Disney lakes (swimming, not just splashing around on shore) once a month over the past four years, and I seem to be okay. The Sea Raycers are also very difficult to fall out of, you sit very low in the boat. As long as you don't do anything you know you shouldn't, you'll be fine.

I would like to know the answer to that one also. We are staying at the FQ, would we be able to rent one from there? Where are the boundaries set as far as where you can go in the water?
As BCV23 said, you must go to Riverside to rent. The entire canal system that links Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Port Orleans, and DTD is open for travel, but your boat must be returned at the location you rented it from, this also applies to the MK resort area locations.

I was told that as long as they can sit up on their own and wear a life jacket they can ride.
That's the rule.

I was thinking it might be fun to take a video camcorder on one and film. Is it likely to get wet or is it fairly okay?
The driver is not allowed to film, but a passenger can. I wouldn't recommend a camcorder on the faster Sea Raycers, but we see them all the time at the slower locations. The larger boats are fine too.

Also, my DH & I were able to easily pass the camera/video camera back and forth to each other while on 2 different boats
This is usually not allowed, boats are told to stay at least 25 feet from anything, boats, shorelines, buoys, ducks, etc.

Oh, the pictures that Brady posted are NOT the Boston Whalers available for rent, those are the Lake Patrol boats. The two boats with the dark green canopies in the foreground are the Boston Whaler's rented at Disney. Boston Whaler

I think all the other questions were answered already. Hope this helps!! :surfweb:

In order to drive a Sea Raycer you must be 12 years old AND five feet tall. The CMs are very strict with this requirement. At the PY, GF, CT, WL, and FW resorts they must ride with someone who is over 16 with a valid Driver's License. You must be over 16 with a valid DL to drive alone at these resorts. At all other resorts the requirement is simply 12 years old and five feet tall to drive alone or with a passenger.

You know, I kind of thought that 14 was a bit young to be driving a Sea Raycer by yourself but who was I to argue with the staff at the Marina. I am glad that you corrected me on the age and I am sorry Family24 for giving you the incorrect information. That's why I love the DIS. You can always count on someone to give great info. Thanks wpxc.:thumbsup2

:boat:We are staying at the FQ in June. I know that you rent the sea racers at the POR. Where are you allowed to take them? Do you need to make reservations way in advance?

If you rent SeaRaycers on Seven Seas Lagoon and/or Bay Lake, Please stay well away from the larger WDW Watercraft (launches, cruisers and ferry boats) operating on these 2 lakes. WDW Watercraft pilots have no resevations about reporting those operating SeaRaycers unsafely to Lake Patrol who will then take appropriate action to include terminating the unsafe operator's experience.

:sail:

CoachBagFanatic - No problem I was really just wondering if he could drive with us in the boat. We did this last time when we were here and our kids loved it. He will be fine driving with us in the boat. Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!