Saving Coins Question

Ilovestitch

DIS Veteran
What do you do with all your change/coins that you save up for your trip? I started a change jar a month ago and told my bf to put his pocket change in it every day, I counted it and there's over $100 :bounce:

I was going to take it to a CoinStar machine, but thier fee really adds up. I'm nervous about taking all those coins to my bank- do your bank tellers get mad if you bring in a ton of change? Will they change it for me without a hassle? -Stephanie

If you are in Maryland Chevy Chase Bank offers a free change counting machine in most branches for customers and non-customers. Otherwise, I just get some coin rolls and do it myself. I used to have a home coin sorter, but it finally burned out after about 10 years :(

Just check w/ your bank and if they won't put it in the coin hopper for you (sometimes they are just too busy), then get the wrappers and do them yourself. They will :mad: if you show up with $50 in pennies!!!:earseek: (that are not rolled that is)

We have Comerce Bank here in NJ that has a coin machine in the Lobby, and there is no fee. Don't know if they are in Maryland though.

It depends on which teller you have if they get mad or not. My children and I always have ours wrapped up neatly and sometimes they get mad and sometimes they don't. I don't understand myself - it is a bank isn't it?????

I just took DD in to cash in her change (in a 4 qt ice cream bucket). The teller was extremely pleasant and even offered DD a sticker.

If your bank isn't nice to you, I would seriously consider taking my business somewhere else. Eventually they'll get the hint that service DOES matter. I would recommend not going in on a Saturaday when they are likely to be busy. We went on a Wednesday morning and they weren't busy and were more than happy to help. Good luck and great job on your savings!:D

I have always just taken mine in, unrolled, to my bank, Bank One. They have a machine that does it and have never complained. If you have an account their, it shouldn't be a problem.

I wish my bank had a change machine!
I roll it myself, take it to the bank & get cash with no problem. After I get cash, I head to the Disney Store for Disney Dollars.

One of the banks we use has a coin machine, for customers use. However, this bank usually gets an attitude if you use it/deposit rolled coin...weird huh?

My credit union does not, but NEVER frowns upon rolled coin!

DD's count/sort our coin at the kitchen table usually every 2 weeks. They put the quarters in piles of 4, dimes in 10's, nickels in 10's and pennies in 10's. Then when they are done, I roll them.

I usually turn in the coin to the savings account at the credit union ever 2 months or so.

DH and I never use our coin, and usually end up with $80-100 each time I turn it in.

But, I'll go to the car wash, and put a $10 in for quarters, and only use $2.00 LOL

On a side note, when my father passed away, I found over $5,000 in rolled coin, even 1/2 dollar rolls (didnt even know they had them!) in his house. I called my credit union, asked them what they wanted me to do, as I'd be coming in with this in a laundry basket LOL...she just said- call me before you get here, and I'll be at the back door waiting, we'll bring it into one of the offices and take care of it. But I found out why whenever I asked my dad "got a quarter?" he said NO! LOL

Luckily, she didnt make me put my account number on all of them!

Brandy

I roll all of my own change and I take it to my bank. I have had bad experiences at a few branches of my bank when I bring in a lot of change but I look at it like this - It's a bank...it's their job. They might not like it but they have to do it so there!

My bad experience was a few years ago when my ex fiance's father had been killed in a motorcycle accident and while cleaning out his condo, we found over $1500 in coins in his closets!! He had about 20 coffee cans and a few of those big tubs that you can get popcorn in at xmas time! It took me over a month to roll everything but we got over $1500 out of it. I took it in to the bank in chunks of like $300-$400 each but a lot of times the tellers would give me attitude for it!

I now take it to my home branch and since they know my whole family, they're pretty cool with it. I actually like rolling coins...it relaxes me and it feels so good to add it all up and not have to pay a % to a machine to add it up for me!

BF and I just rolled $347 for our trip this weekend!

My bank actually frowns upon rolled change. They tell me to just bring it in a bag, but I roll it so I know how much I have. I'm not gonna count it and then put it all back together in a mess. Sounds stupid to me!! They open the rolls right there and toss the change into your machine before they'll give you a deposit slip.

I roll it myself, put the account number on the roll, and I have never had a problem or any sign of attitude. In fact, when I bring in rolled pennies, I get a smile!

Just wanted to say, that about $100 in about a month is great job! Keep up the good work!

I am a meticulous change saver and average between $100-$150 each month. I simply do not spend change unless it is all I have left in my pocket. I also work retail and have the ladies in the cash office save me the dollar coins they collect and cash them out at the end of each week. That right there is good for at least $15 each week. I am amazed at how fast it can add up and usually end up with several hundred dollars in rolled coin to cash out before each WDW trip. My bank, Chase in NYC is pretty good about accepting change as long as my account number is on each roll.

Good luck with your savings everybody!

Linda

We've been saving our change for years. usually end up with over 400.00 in eight months. Just used that coin to purchase an Annual Pass. Just roll the coin at home and bring it to the bank, been doing this for years and never noticed any attitude from a teller, course really wouldn't care if they did, as long as they gave me my money.

Mine doesn't like it rolled either - they need to count it - and they don't "trust" all of their depositors not to short them a quarter in every roll. Rolling it just makes them unroll it.

They do prefer if you call ahead. That makes it easier for two reasons. One, the change machines are finicky creatures and break down on occation - calling will keep you from making a run to find a broken change machine - and most branches have only one. The other is that several people arriving at once with change is a big job - if you call first they will ask you if you can come in at a slower time of day.

For years I just rolled them myself. The bank gives me the roll paper for free. My bank did however require me to write my acct. # on each roll. I'd start several days before I need to cash in the money. Over the course of a few evenings, I would roll the change while watching TV. Usually a few hundred $. Never got an attitude from anyone at my bank as stated by others.

Now my bank has a free coin counter in the lobby. Makes it alot easier.

I do this all the time my little disney cab bank hold $200 on most trips to the bank my bank does this for free so we go all the time the kids love to guess how much they will get all my change goes to the kids to spend how they would like. On our last trip I was out of work do to a broken foot from a M/C accident so grandma gave the kids some of here change one of the big coke bottles about two feet tall. the kids and I made a lot of trips to the bank and we had just over$1000 from grandmas change alone plus what we had added up to a great trip.

I worked for a bank, and you could bring in all the rolled coins you wanted, as long as you put your account number on it.

We used to have a customer who came in every Friday to GET rolls of pennies. I don't know what he was doing with it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter