Sailing the Wonder to Alaska on 6/6 - post your advance questions

bigAWL

DIS Veteran
Send me any questions you have about the Wonder, Alaska, Vancouver, etc. I'll get as many answers as I can while on my June 6 sailing and report back afterward. If I can report from the ship, I'll do a little of that too.

Where did you get your pre-cruise test?
This sailing will be the last one that DCL provides embarkation testing for. And since there are no young kids in my fully-vaccinated travel party, that’s the only pre-cruise testing we need.

I am interested in debarkation testing and catching DCL transportation to the airport … how early does it leave? Is there time for testing at port? When does the last bus leave?

thank you!

Thank you for offering to do this! I’m curious about numbers onboard and how far apart dining parties are from one another in the dining rooms. Also, I haven’t seen yet a navigator from anyone on thr first trip out. I know it’s electronic now so a bit different to post, but just curious about characters onboard (my kids are asking!).

Thank you for offering to do this! I’m curious about numbers onboard and how far apart dining parties are from one another in the dining rooms. Also, I haven’t seen yet a navigator from anyone on thr first trip out. I know it’s electronic now so a bit different to post, but just curious about characters onboard (my kids are asking!).
Just got off the Wonder on the 23rd. There was anywhere from 1200 to 1400 people on board per various sources (talking to the Servers or Cast Members). There were plenty of open tables in the main dinning rooms that we saw. The tables were close enough that you could talk to the next table if you liked. There were no Navigators provided. You had to use the app. We were able to get a crew issued navigator from our Room Host, but otherwise don't expect to receive a paper navigator any longer. So it is very hard to try and post what is going on due to everything now being on the app.

As for characters, I saw all the typical Disney Characters (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, etc.) along with the various Princess's and we also saw Spiderman.

Psy

Would love to hear your experiences with excursions and also what you hear from others on the boat about excursions. It sounds like some are being cancelled/modified due to staffing issues and it would be good to know if that continues to be a problem or if it gets a little better as the summer goes on.

All 3 of our went as planned. We did the By the Sea in Ketchikan that I enjoyed, the Salmon Bake with a stop at the Glacier in Juneau and did the Big Nugget in Skagway. All went without a hitch and we enjoyed all 3. I would say that all had at least 15 to 20 people.

Psy

Th
Just got off the Wonder on the 23rd. There was anywhere from 1200 to 1400 people on board per various sources (talking to the Servers or Cast Members). There were plenty of open tables in the main dinning rooms that we saw. The tables were close enough that you could talk to the next table if you liked. There were no Navigators provided. You had to use the app. We were able to get a crew issued navigator from our Room Host, but otherwise don't expect to receive a paper navigator any longer. So it is very hard to try and post what is going on due to everything now being on the app.

As for characters, I saw all the typical Disney Characters (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, etc.) along with the various Princess's and we also saw Spiderman.

Psy

Psy
Thank you for the information. I wish that Disney would post the navigators of past trips. if it’s all electronic now, it would be so easy.

Send me any questions you have about the Wonder, Alaska, Vancouver, etc. I'll get as many answers as I can while on my June 6 sailing and report back afterward. If I can report from the ship, I'll do a little of that too.
I wonder about the protocols for Covid testing on board: do they randomly test passengers, do they only test if someone has “symptoms”; and what would those be? Would a child with a cough and runny nose have to get tested for example?

Are the daily navigators posted anywhere, or on your TV, or is the app literally the only way to see what is going on (so inconvenient!!)?

Is the ship WiFi robust enough to connect to remote proctoring so you can do the Covid test needed to fly back to the US while on board at sea the last day?

Can you check and see if there are any Post Cruise port adventures that can only be booked while you’re on the ship

we have a late night flight and looking for things to do while we wait for our 11 pm flight

thank you

Can you check and see if there are any Post Cruise port adventures that can only be booked while you’re on the ship

we have a late night flight and looking for things to do while we wait for our 11 pm flight

thank you
In the past, Disney did offer a debarkation day excursion in Vancouver. I am not sure if it has restarted, but it is important to know that those debarkation day excursions are never guaranteed. If there are not enough people that sign up, it is not offered. So, you can inquire at the Port Adventures desk and they will keep you advised.

It might be more economical to do a one-day car rental picking up near the port and dropping at the airport.

Thought of another question! Someone had posted that the Dawes excursion didn’t get close to the glacier, that it stayed by the ship. I’m not sure if you’re going on the excursion, or if you are within earshot of anyone who is, but I’m curious whether this was due to calendar timing or if this is a more regular occurrence. (especially that it is not a cheap excursion).

I wonder about the protocols for Covid testing on board: do they randomly test passengers, do they only test if someone has “symptoms”; and what would those be? Would a child with a cough and runny nose have to get tested for example?

Are the daily navigators posted anywhere, or on your TV, or is the app literally the only way to see what is going on (so inconvenient!!)?

Is the ship WiFi robust enough to connect to remote proctoring so you can do the Covid test needed to fly back to the US while on board at sea the last day?

I can say that I started to get sick onboard and wanted throat lozenges on glacier day. They were only available for sale from the medical center so we had to book time with the nurse and explain my symptoms (at that point only a VERY sore throat) I was instructed to report if I developed a fever and allowed to buy the lozenges without any testing. I developed a very stuffy nose and masked for a good part of the rest of the trip but did not have to test or isolate. I tested at home after other family (cousins of my husband’s who randomly booked the same Alaskan sailing as us) reported to us that 3 of the 4 of them tested positive post cruise. I personally was negative after the cruise and was diagnosed with an infection by my doctor and put on some antibiotics.
The nurse in medical was lovely and couldn’t remember the price of the tiny package (8-9) of lozenges but quoted us “around $10”. Our room was charged $3.90 in the end.
My nephew (2) was tested on board the last day as standard and was negative but between early dinner and the show that night I saw an officer and a CM in full PPE talking to the stateroom beside my parents about the fact that they needed to be moved to quarantine and inquiring about their readiness to do so. They said they weren’t ready and wouldn’t be for another 40ish minutes. The officer replied that it was currently 8:15 and they’d return at 9pm to help them move. I know they also had small children so I imagine one of them popped positive on that required last day test but that’s supposition on my part.

Thought of another question! Someone had posted that the Dawes excursion didn’t get close to the glacier, that it stayed by the ship. I’m not sure if you’re going on the excursion, or if you are within earshot of anyone who is, but I’m curious whether this was due to calendar timing or if this is a more regular occurrence. (especially that it is not a cheap excursion).
We stayed on the ship for this; and everyone on deck 10 was commenting that the pilot and the captain, had to have a bet going to see if the pilot could reach the tour boats by the edge of the ice. From what I've heard is that the tour boats couldn't get any closer due to to ice. So it could be due to the time of the year, I just don't know. Someone standing next to me on Deck 10 commented that he was on a different cruise line for this stop before and the cruise ship wasn't able to get close enough to even see the glacier from the ship. So the only way people on that cruise saw the glacier was to do the excursion..

Psy

We stayed on the ship for this; and everyone on deck 10 was commenting that the pilot and the captain, had to have a bet going to see if the pilot could reach the tour boats by the edge of the ice. From what I've heard is that the tour boats couldn't get any closer due to to ice. So it could be due to the time of the year, I just don't know. Someone standing next to me on Deck 10 commented that he was on a different cruise line for this stop before and the cruise ship wasn't able to get close enough to even see the glacier from the ship. So the only way people on that cruise saw the glacier was to do the excursion..

Psy
Thanks Psy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!