Running out of scooters at the parks?

LONES

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have an idea of how common or uncommon it is for the parks to run out of scooters? My Dad needs a scooter in the park, but we are wanting to do a few later days this trip, and not get to the parks until late morning. Although he really should have a scooter at the resort, too.... he refuses to rent offsite. Are we going to have issues getting a scooter in May, or is it rare that they run out?

Thank you!

It depends on the day, the park, and the time.

Rent one for yourself offsite and let him use it in the parks. Itvcosts $50 per day from Disney, or $149-$200 per week from Gold Mobility. Appeal to his wallet.

Has he used a scooter before? Perhaps he doesn't "need" one at the resorts because he is concerned about driving it onto a bus.

I agree with Kaytieeldr, rent one off site. Better to have it and you drive it from resort to park if need be. Last thing you want it get to the parks and they have none.

Just to add. A few times we have rented a disney wheelchair. There was a long line of people renting WC/scooters. Took a while, maybe 15-20 min, that you need to do everyday if you rent.

yes they run out. in fact they run out a lot more often than people, think and since it takes time to charge them, even returned ones cannot be made available right away.

do everybody a favor and rent form off site

Thank you for the replies. I've tried the appeals to rent off-site, and none of the reasons seem to matter to him. He has rented a scooter in the parks probably the last 5 times we have gone. He walks, but not well. I would say when we get off the bus at a park, we probably get to the entrance about 20-25 minutes after the rest of the people on our bus. I am not exaggerating. His reasoning for not renting off site is the busses. He's not scared of driving it on the bus, but he doesn't want to be "that person on a scooter that is clearly able to walk that holds up everybody on the bus". I know there are complete jerks out there that hate the fact that people on scooters are allowed at Disney, but anyone that actually saw him walk farther than 20 feet would clearly see he needs the scooter.

If it were MY dad, I would rent one offsite and just not tell him until it was delivered. If he then wanted to take his chances at the gate I would have a back up.

Since it is the bus and what people think tell him you will drive the scooter to the bus and load it and he can walk on the bus after you load it and then you will drive it off for him and then he can get on the scooter. Tell him it saves money and time with him taking so long to get to the park and that they do run out of scooter.

I agree depends on time, park... we were in MK in mid February and my father was concerned about us getting my stepmom one.. we finally got thru gates at 11 am and there were tons of them left and thankfully no line. Keep in mind that if you do get a scooter at the park its $50 + a $20 deposit that you get back IF you have your receipt when you turn in the scooter.

yes they run out. in fact they run out a lot more often than people, think and since it takes time to charge them, even returned ones cannot be made available right away.

do everybody a favor and rent form off site

Whew-I guess I was lucky then! I went during the F&W festival. Never made it to a park much before 10:30-11:00. Yet, my two times at Epcot, and one time at AK, there were plenty of scooters available. However, I agree with the poster who recommended renting off site. I only rented from Disney because my need for a scooter was a last minute need-after that time, I've rented off-site. Three days in parks $150. a week from Gold Mobility-$165 (includes tax). GMS much more managable. On buses, the bus drivers always offered to manuever the scooter into the parking for me. Although I could have, bus drivers were much quicker and there were people waiting.

My dad was the same way. Would not rent one offsite, said if he wanted to go into the park, he would rent one there. He ended up not going because it didn't want to waste the money. Last year on our trip I just rented one for him and told him. He was initially peeved, but loved it once we got here.

So ask dad: what's the plan if we get there and there are none left to rent at the park? wheelchair? how happy will he be with that?

Personally, I'd rent off property and handle the bus transfer myself. Five will get you ten that having it at the resort and being able to use it to get to the front gates will be all the convincing dad needs to see that you had his back all along!

Last edited:
I agree with others - just rent it. My Mom used one for some of our park days for about 2 years when I insisted that we were going to save money by renting offsite. I remember a particularly long walk to the room at Kidani where we stopped a few times along the way to rest. She was not ok and cited the bus (and a few other things), but I just went ahead and did it for her. And you know what, it made all the difference and she loves the freedom it gives her all around. And now always asks if I have remembered to order her a scooter. Oh and we also recommend Gold Mobility!

@LONES tell your dad about the sensors that Disney has put into the ECVs at MK - and that will be coming to the other 3 parks ECVs as well. (Disney has put motion sensors that stop the Parks scooters from going when they sense anything in their direct path. This is making a lot of folks upset, because it makes the scooters even slower to drive - and they stop unexpectedly and restart slowly - among other things)

With an outside rental, not only will it be easier to drive (much easier now than a Parks rental) but also cheaper in the long run. And, having it at the Resort (and for other things, like Disney Springs) is so handy.

So, Dad is worried about people judging him at the bus stop? First of all, tell your dad that what a LOT of people are looking at when the bus loads/unloads a scooter is... the bus! The driver has to shut the doors, then go back and "kneel" the bus (which is noisy and wheezy and beepy) and *then* the doors open and the thing beeps and barfs out a ramp! The guy driving the scooter up the ramp is secondary to the whole show that the bus just put on! Imagine if it's your first time at WDW, and you see that happen at the Resort bus stop - I promise, people are far more intrigued by the bus, and the process and the noise it makes than your dad on the ECV. But, if it bothers him, then you - or any other adult member of the party - can drive it on the bus, and he can walk up the ramp after. (And I know that might make him feel more self-conscious... )

What he needs to know is that dad, on an ECV at WDW, is a total non-event. There are so many other folks who use them (and a whole range of different mobility devices) that I promise, unless he is 8 feet tall, and bright green with purple polka dots, he ain't gonna stand out.

Who cares what anyone else thinks? Does he let other peoples opinions stop him from doing anything else in his life? Probably not. Those people at WDW that he is worried about "judging" him, mostly likely aren't - and if they are, he just needs to remember that they are doing so from a place of ignorance.

My physical therapy therapist calls anyone who judges someone about their abilities or mobility a TAB - it stands for "Temporarily Able Bodied". Because, as she so wisely points out... everyone at some point needs help - or someone they know and love needs help. And once that day comes, those same judge-y people often become the biggest, loudest advocates for folks who are mobility impaired ever!

Really and truly, most people have become accustomed to the ECVs at WDW, and there is a lot less open hostility now. You can still find it, but quite frankly, it's often provoked and/or well deserved. People who report run-ins with other Guests often seem to be *looking* for trouble. I head that nonsense off by looking folks directly in the eye, and smiling at them. If they continue to stare, I very politely and with a smile, ask if they have any questions. (That usually stops the nonsense right there) And if they do happen to ask me any questions, I answer them calmly and honestly; I don't try to change anyone's mind, or engage in troll baiting. And to be honest, I find that a lot of people stare at folks with ECVs simply because either they weren't brought up right, or they are literally so exhausted that they have zoned out, and they don't realize they are staring at you!

Tell your dad to get on that rental scooter, and ride it like the handsome hero he is! Smile and wave at the pretty girls, and say Howdy to all of the guys! Act confident, and everyone around you will react accordingly!

And have a great trip! :)

Honestly, renting at the parks is a bad idea for all of the reasons mentioned and more.

To answer the original question, On average, even on a slow day they are apparently running out within 2 to 3 hours of park opening.

Gold Mobility will be much more comfortable, much less expensive and as a bonus because they have so many fancy features and are in such great condition you don't really get the nasty comments and stares. I don't know how long that last part will last as they become more popular, but for now, take it and run with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter