Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the risk is different if everyone is following the rules vs 1/2 the people not following them - be it actual risks or perceived risks. Iger has said they need to do what they have to in order for people to feel safe and if I am bringing my family there it would be with the expectation that rules are followed (maybe not 100% as there are always rule breakers, but not 50/50) - so if I saw all these warnings signs and regulations about what is required to be at Disney Springs or in the parks and then Disney didn't do anything about 1/2 the people shirking those rules, I'd be a bit upset
this is understandable, nothing worse than you following the rules and then other people blatantly disregarding them.
I always play the "don't expect anything from Disney game"
I am going, mask on, following rules but if I see people not doing what they are supposed to and I see Disney CM not monitoring, I will try my best and not get upset (Yoda's quote inside my hear right now "do or do not there is no try)
Now if I'm in a close situation, lets say a queue and the person behind me is getting to close I will for sure ask them to step back, but if I can avoid people while walking around I will (and yes this is possible to do even in a crowded park)

this is understandable, nothing worse than you following the rules and then other people blatantly disregarding them.
I always play the "don't expect anything from Disney game"
I am going, mask on, following rules but if I see people not doing what they are supposed to and I see Disney CM not monitoring, I will try my best and not get upset (Yoda's quote inside my hear right now "do or do not there is no try)
Now if I'm in a close situation, lets say a queue and the person behind me is getting to close I will for sure ask them to step back, but if I can avoid people while walking around I will (and yes this is possible to do even in a crowded park)

yeah, i certainly wouldn't expect 100% of the people to follow 100% of the rules 100% of the time - and like yous say, try to "let it go" or if it really crosses a line, say something to them or get a CM if needed

Guess it is just the numbers that is trowing me off - it doesn't seem right to go in expect half the people will disregard the rules that have been designed for health and safety ... but maybe has to do where I am from (the NYC area) where 99% of the people are taking this seriously and everyone is following mask regulations, etc.

So, one thing I haven't seen discussed much (although I did just skip ahead 30 pages since I didn't keep up for a couple days) is potential policy changes for guests who show symptoms or test positive for Covid. Personally, I really hope this is something that Disney will address. I know there has been (somewhat sarcastic) speculation and hand-wringing on what Disney will do as to not letting someone into the park or removing them from the park due to symptoms, etc. I'm thinking along the lines of what will happen to resort guests who show symptoms or test positive? At that point, they're kind of screwed. I mean, what happens if I come down with it during my trip? I'm then required to isolate for 14 days - but where and how? I'm not going to be allowed to fly home at that point, so that's out as a possibility. Will Disney extend my stay? At what cost? What about food, etc.? What about the rest of the family? Would they be forced to stay with me in the hotel room, or would they move me (or them) to a different room? I can't imagine how difficult it would be forcing the kids to not leave a hotel room for 14 days, but what kind of policy will Disney have to accommodate this? If I pick up Covid while I'm there, I'm going to also be pissed to pay $500+/night to have to extend my stay by up to 14 days (not sure I could even afford that). Now, I guess the reason to not lay this policy out would be to deter someone who's exposed from going to Disney before testing positive or before being symptomatic just to "take advantage" of whatever policy is in place - but I just don't see what the attraction of doing that would be. I'd much rather be in my own home. I could also seeing it being a case-by-case thing, but I hope they are at least able to assure us that we don't need to be terrified of the implications of such a possibility. It's going to be inevitable that someone will come down with Covid-19 while on property.
This is the kind of thing you have to consider before you go and decide what you are comfortable with. I have family with a trip planned to San Diego in late summer and they are canceling regardless of whether anything is even open in California for them to visit because they are unwilling to take the risk that one of them gets sick and they can’t come home.

If you come down with symptoms while on vacation out of state you should assume that you are now stuck in that state unless you are somehow able to drive yourself home. It would be wildly irresponsible to get on a plane in that situation. So if you are unable to drive yourself home, you should be thinking about what you might have to do if you find yourself in that predicament and whether you have the resources for the extra accommodations and food for an unexpected extension to your trip. This is going to have to be a risk assessment and calculation for anyone who travels while this virus is still with us.

Last edited:
yeah, i certainly wouldn't expect 100% of the people to follow 100% of the rules 100% of the time - and like yous say, try to "let it go" or if it really crosses a line, say something to them or get a CM if needed

Guess it is just the numbers that is trowing me off - it doesn't seem right to go in expect half the people will disregard the rules that have been designed for health and safety ... but maybe has to do where I am from (the NYC area) where 99% of the people are taking this seriously and everyone is following mask regulations, etc.
Honestly- I don’t have a clue what to expect number wise so I think “what is the worst case scenario to me?” and that’s what I’m planning for now.

Yeah, I think it’s very area dependent. In my area people wear them in stores that require them and anywhere from 20%-50% wear them elsewhere and the weather isn’t even bad. So it shapes my expectations that when the weather gets bad like no one is going to last long in one.

I mean, what happens if I come down with it during my trip? I'm then required to isolate for 14 days - but where and how? I'm not going to be allowed to fly home at that point, so that's out as a possibility. Will Disney extend my stay? At what cost? What about food, etc.? What about the rest of the family? Would they be forced to stay with me in the hotel room, or would they move me (or them) to a different room? I can't imagine how difficult it would be forcing the kids to not leave a hotel room for 14 days, but what kind of policy will Disney have to accommodate ?

It's going to be inevitable that someone will come down with Covid-19 while on property.

Given that Covid19 is still prevalent in various parts of the US and the world, yep, it’s pretty inevitable. The risk at Disney is not equivalent to the risk for Orlando, or Orange County, or even Florida. It’s the same as the risk of where ever the guests come from. Those Wisconsin bar goers, the family that holds the hugfest family reunion with the nephew just home from working hospitals in New York, the people sitting for fours hours on a flight in front of the coughing guy that thought he could get home before his symptoms got bad, they can all be at Disney.

I also wonder what will Disney do once it is obvious they have someone who likely has the virus. I’d assume they would quarantine the entire family, since they were all in close contact with each other. Perhaps they are setting aside extra rooms assuming there will be some unexpected longer stays. Quarantined cruisers in hotels had room service dropped at their doors, so that’s a possibility. You might check to see if your travel insurance would cover an extra long stay. I know in the past my children got sick while on vacation so we couldn’t fly home on the planned day, and we were charged for the flight changes and room for extra days.

guess I missed - this article was just posted 1 hour ago but guess old news for them too

And the statement says "key factor in our success ... will be our Guests' acceptance and adherence to our new protocols" ... "adherece" is different to me than "encourage"
Went back to find it. Disney Springs FAQ says "We are also adding a new team to engage with Guests and promote physical distancing guidelines in common areas and queues." Link
Apologies I got the word wrong, guess the horse was still alive after all!! :scared1: "Promote" ...and only with regards to physical distancing.

Given that Covid19 is still prevalent in various parts of the US and the world, yep, it’s pretty inevitable. The risk at Disney is not equivalent to the risk for Orlando, or Orange County, or even Florida. It’s the same as the risk of where ever the guests come from. Those Wisconsin bar goers, the family that holds the hugfest family reunion with the nephew just home from working hospitals in New York, the people sitting for fours hours on a flight in front of the coughing guy that thought he could get home before his symptoms got bad, they can all be at Disney.

I also wonder what will Disney do once it is obvious they have someone who likely has the virus. I’d assume they would quarantine the entire family, since they were all in close contact with each other. Perhaps they are setting aside extra rooms assuming there will be some unexpected longer stays. Quarantined cruisers in hotels had room service dropped at their doors, so that’s a possibility. You might check to see if your travel insurance would cover an extra long stay. I know in the past my children got sick while on vacation so we couldn’t fly home on the planned day, and we were charged for the flight changes and room for extra days.

Maybe that's why nobody can book CSR...it's the set for Contagion 2

Yup. WDW is going to need a plan to deal with guests with active covid.
I realize the resorts aren't currently open.
When they do open I wonder if sick resort guests will be treated the same as the cruise ship passengers were? (Transported to quarantine site for x number of days.)
I don't think the cruise people had a choice. Would resort guests be given options? If so, what?

When they do open I wonder if sick resort guests will be treated the same as the cruise ship passengers were? (Transported to quarantine site for x number of days.)
I don't think the cruise people had a choice. Would resort guests be given options? If so, what?
And will they quarantine everyone staying in the same resort building or will they only quarantine the infected room?

Well, only the government can mandate you quarantine so I guess it will actually be a coordinated plan between the FL government and Disney if they end up with a guest with a COVID diagnosis- if they even care about it.

And will they quarantine everyone staying in the same resort building or will they only quarantine the infected room?
Unless they end up with multiple rooms in a building with cases I do not see them quarantining a whole resort building. We've had cruise ship outbreaks but not hotel outbreaks so there is no grounds for that at this time.

How do you tell a CM got it from work? They could have got it from the grocery store, a friend, a family member.

Not everyone gets symptoms with this virus. If a CM has a husband who's asymptomatic and she goes home and kisses him every night and sleeps next to him every night, she's going to catch it. And if she gets sick, she'll probably blame her job.
This scenario is the exact reason masks are necessary at this time. Preventing spread. When you wear. Mask you are basically acknowledging that you may hav e this thing and not know it. And you wear the mask to prevent your unknowingly passing it on to someone else who may be more at risk than yourself. Or giving to someone who may pass it on to another.
to me somebody out not wearing a mask is saying “I may have it and I’m fine. I really don’t care if you get it“. I find that attitude troubling and sidle prevalent. That attitude in others will keep me and my family out of large crowds more than any fear of the virus

This is the kind of thing you have to consider before you go and decide what you are comfortable with. I have family with a trip planned to San Diego in late summer and they are canceling regardless of whether anything is even open in California for them to visit because they are unwilling to take the risk that one of them gets sick and they can’t come home.

If you come down with symptoms while on vacation out of state you should assume that you are now stuck in that state unless you are somehow able to drive yourself home. It would be wildly irresponsible to get on a plane in that situation. So if you are unable to drive yourself home, you should be thinking about what you might have to do if you find yourself in that predicament and whether you have to resources for the extra accommodations and food for an unexpected extension to your trip. This is going to have to be a risk assessment and calculation for anyone who travels while this virus is still with us.
I understand that is part of the evaluation, which is why I brought it up - I'm clearly considering that and realize that. Not only is irresponsible to get on a plane, but I do not believe one would or should be allowed on the plane.

The question is how will it be handled. Will Disney have rooms set aside? Under normal circumstances, it is not always possible to extend one's stay, especially for 2 weeks. Not to mention that, for many guests, an additional 14 days at a deluxe Disney resort at rack rates is likely beyond what they can or should spend (are people really budgeting an additional $10,000+ for their trips?). An infected guest would not be able to go to a new hotel, as I'm sure every hotel in the area would have restrictions about allowing guests with symptoms or diagnosis to check in to the hotel. Even if/when states lift quarantine for out-of-state travelers, they may still have restrictions against allowing sick people to enter the state.

So, obviously this is part of the risk evaluation, but it must also be part of the policy changes as to how to handle it for those guests while adhering to public health policies and practices.

I don't think Disney is going to get in the business of quarantining the sick .. not even their employees. They aren't going to test people, they sure aren't going to forcibly quarantine people. They just aren't going to let people in if they have a temperature (at least at first). I sincerely doubt they are going to follow up on those with temperatures and require them to get a test.

I would think there would be all sorts of privacy and HIPAA issues with that.

I mean .. Disney has already put out a "come at your own risk" disclaimer for Disney Springs. The parks and resorts will have the same disclaimers.

It's up to Disney just to have safety measures in place to help reduce (not eliminate) the risks to cast and guests of getting it from potential other guests that may be sick while there.

. . . You might check to see if your travel insurance would cover an extra long stay. . .
I haven't looked yet, but I did look at the cancellation portion, and there was already exclusions for cancellations due to a pandemic. I need to look at the interruption portion, but I'm thinking they probably have something in there as well. So insurance companies have taken pandemics into consideration for some time and have been including exclusions related to pandemics in their policies.

Well I definitely will not break the rules (I am waiting on the exact guidelines released by Disney re: mask before I cancel my July trip and before I pay off the $3500 my package costs), I really doubt we will see CM's following people around to see if they are wearing masks. They may double check that you are wearing a mask during security check, and most likely in lines for rides and transportation (I can definitely see that), but not really while just walking around outdoors in the park. I heard on another blog that at Universal, only managers were allowed to confront guests. I could see the same happening at WDW.

Also, wanted to add I also rode out Irma (while pregnant nonetheless) at Pop. Howdy neighbor, fun times!
I think the fact that universal has designated a number of employees to specifically confront this issue would indicate that they are well aware that there will be resistance and are preparing more senior level employees to enforce it. That would indicate to me that they plan to do just that, enforce it.

I haven't looked yet, but I did look at the cancellation portion, and there was already exclusions for cancellations due to a pandemic. I need to look at the interruption portion, but I'm thinking they probably have something in there as well. So insurance companies have taken pandemics into consideration for some time and have been including exclusions related to pandemics in their policies.
Stinkin' insurance companies. They think of everything. :headache:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter