Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why I posted 2 alternatives to going that require a test before getting at the airport, or at the airport. If someone has a valid test then it gets them on the flight and that same test gets them into Disney. The risk of a table or surface means you accept that risk or start designing a bubble. If I am reading your post correctly the official position of FL is not only do tables and surfaces not matter the 'word' of people coming from infected areas is accepted and they are not even tested. Is this correct?

In the case of C19 I am not sure yet that 'personal responsibility' will take care of anyone. that is not the history of C19.

I would not accept asking questions and even taking a temperature and self isolating. IMO what FL did is really irresponsible. But in a week or 2 we shall see. Just like WI is now rolling toward the impact of voting in person.

What it boils down to is trusting other people to be responsible and that is completely different risk.
My point is that you can get infected and start spreading the virus after testing negative. So administering tests before or after flights will not prevent you from contracting and spreading after.
Personal responsibility comes in the form of avoiding gathering 6ft and closer in large crowds, using masks properly, and constant hand washing.
Other people can be infected around you but as long as you follow the guidelines chances of you catching it are lower.
I honestly thought there would be larger death and seriously ill cases coming from wdw after closing, we had a large number of international visitors December through February, but the huge numbers of infected with wdw in common never came, Disney started implementing hand washing stations, sanitizing stations and toward the end a bit of crowd distancing along with info around property about being vigilant, did this help? Did people actually being aware help? We'll never know.

Or you can be a total hypocrite like I am. I swore "never again" on a deluxe resort, but now I am planning Boardwalk for next year. This pandemic obviously has made me lose my mind. :rolleyes1

It's made me want to go more than ever before. I suspect there are others like me out there.
Yes! I'm right there with you! My husband and I had already planned to book a trip for April, 2021 for our 25th anniversary! The planning is one of the only things keeping me sane right now! :hourglass

To hold on to Character meet and greets they’d have to put in some new rules. No touching, no standing too close. Perhaps the meet and greet areas could be levels, so the characters are a few feet above or below folks to get pictures that make them look closer. They would definitely need some kind of barrier, so little ones wouldn’t run up and hug them. It would be impossible to disinfect a character in between guests.

To hold on to Character meet and greets they’d have to put in some new rules. No touching, no standing too close. Perhaps the meet and greet areas could be levels, so the characters are a few feet above or below folks to get pictures that make them look closer. They would definitely need some kind of barrier, so little ones wouldn’t run up and hug them. It would be impossible to disinfect a character in between guests.
I don't think they'll be meet and greets, there's no way they can restrain kids from running up and hugging.

My point is that you can get infected and start spreading the virus after testing negative. So administering tests before or after flights will not prevent you from contracting and spreading after.
Personal responsibility comes in the form of avoiding gathering 6ft and closer in large crowds, using masks properly, and constant hand washing.
Other people can be infected around you but as long as you follow the guidelines chances of you catching it are lower.
I honestly thought there would be larger death and seriously ill cases coming from wdw after closing, we had a large number of international visitors December through February, but the huge numbers of infected with wdw in common never came, Disney started implementing hand washing stations, sanitizing stations and toward the end a bit of crowd distancing along with info around property about being vigilant, did this help? Did people actually being aware help? We'll never know.
That’s my thought. I think just the better hygiene & not going places when you know you’re sick has made the biggest difference. We were in wdw 2/26-3/3 & had gone to Mardi Gras for 2 weeks prior to that. None of us got sick. I guess we could be in the asymptomatic group & not know. But we also saw countless family & friends in that month plus at least 2 weeks after until they shut down everything & we understood the risks. I feel like I was much more at risk at that time in retrospect than I would be if we went now when the parks open up.

That’s my thought. I think just the better hygiene & not going places when you know you’re sick has made the biggest difference. We were in wdw 2/26-3/3 & had gone to Mardi Gras for 2 weeks prior to that. None of us got sick. I guess we could be in the asymptomatic group & not know. But we also saw countless family & friends in that month plus at least 2 weeks after until they shut down everything & we understood the risks. I feel like I was much more at risk at that time in retrospect than I would be if we went now when the parks open up.
Exactly, that's my point. CM deal with germs and bodily fluids everyday, not a lot of cases where hospitalization or deaths were recorded, again we can't be sure but personal responsibility had to play a role

I have heard this mentioned too. What if Disney went the way of a VIP tour model for the time being. Have set groups on a tour schedule so there is no mingling or wandering.

There are stupid people everywhere, but when you sign a waiver or agree to T&C you give up the right to win a lawsuit.

That's not true. In many cases, waivers don't hold up in court for cases when you can prove gross negligence or a reckless disregard for safety.

Since we are in uncharted territory with this virus, I can see Disney being very careful and conservative with the reopening.

For when it opens, rather than all those "options"...here's the option I would pitch Disney.

100% ID check. Only FL residents enter. Must have FL address on state-issued ID or passport for anyone 18+. That way, FL decision makers are solely responsible for FL. No one is on airlines or driving long distance bringing illness back to their states and countries.

That should be phase one. This is also the group most likely not to mind a subpar or lowered experience, since many will be drive-in candidates and not spending tons on hotels and travel.
The United States of America’s tax payers will be paying for Disney’s bail out. We are all citizens of the US. I absolutely hate when people start talking about states vs states. There should be no ID cards and certainty not closing borders between states. We are UNITED. Floridians would suffer if no one else ever came to Disney or Florida or to visit. We all need each other. We all are in this together. If you don’t like that don’t leave your house. I’m with the OP- personal responsibility.

I took this off another forum but this is what they think what Disney will look like for now.

• Magic Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no theaters, no parades, no castle shows, no fireworks and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Magic Kingdom resorts reopen with strict distancing guidelines in place.
  • Monorails would not operate.
  • Ferries and boat transportation would operate with distancing in place.
  • Health checks would be introduced at every security checkpoint. This would include temperature checks and Q&A (including locations you have traveled to in the past 14 days).
  • Guests will have to sign additional legal forms clearing Disney of liability for potential exposure to COVID-19.
  • EPCOT will remain closed if other parks are able to reopen prior to September.
  • Hollywood Studios reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no fireworks, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Animal Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no Rivers of Light, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit. Maharajah Jungle Trek would remain closed, and no close encounters with any animals at any place in the park will be permitted. Details about Animal Kingdom are still being developed.
  • Transportation guidelines are still being developed.
  • Dining guidelines are still being developed.
  • No character meet and greets.
  • No character dining.
  • Water parks will not reopen while Secure Circuit is in place.
  • DVC details are still being developed.
  • Sanitation stations will be available throughout the parks, as well as directions on the ground to keep guests moving in proper directions for limited pedestrian crossing.
  • It is likely, though not officially determined, that masks will be a requirement for adults.
  • Magic Bands mandatory for all guests, fingerprints temporarily on hold.
  • Non-MK resorts are unlikely to reopen until Phase 2 begins (Secure Circuit is for Phase 1).
  • Disney is currently evaluating every single ride and queue to determine how and if it can operate with strict distancing guidelines. This includes determining how to move people through the queue in a safe manner even if virtual queue is in place for that particular ride. For example, even just moving through the queue of Pirates exposes guests to whatever guests passed through the queue 20 seconds prior.
  • Chapek ultimately makes the call on when to reopen and how, once DeSantis gives the green light... so while the protocols for Secure Circuit have been developed, there may be changes from the top.
  • What's on and what's off for future construction is now largely on how much and when Disney receives US government money, as well as the realities of the economy on the other side of this situation. Expect Disney to NOT announce cancellations of projects in 2020, but also for some projects to simply sit with no announcement. Disney is likely to be very bearish in 2020 until we get Q4 economic data.
If they do this, they better hope that the locals have enough money to keep the park going. I'm not traveling from OK for this experience but if I lived there, I'd deal with it.

Last edited:
It appears there are two groups: Those at risk and those who are not. Those who are at risk probably should remain isolated until a "vaccine" is developed. For the rest of us, life will go on and our bodies will develop immunity against it like every other disease out there.

There appears to be 3 groups. The first two are mentioned above based on the current understanding of age and risk factors. The 3rd group is much much smaller and contains those that they don't understand why they are affected so bad and also dying.

I believe a key to reopening safely, besides pharmaceuticals/vaccines that end the pandemic, is going to be to reduce numbers in the parks. How to do this? Reducing ticket sales would control how many people get in. You'd have to look at what you would do about pass holders. Maybe certain days of the week would be for those folks. Then put into place the other things we've been hearing about.
What about passholders from out of state who have a room reservation? People always say this about limiting passholder, but there are so many who have to book a full trip to go, and then they’re just gonna be like “we’re sorry, can’t come in”. It’s not like DLR where most passholders are local. It would also be so hard with people booking dining within the park who may have an AP rather than general admission. I could see then limiting to onsite people for a while since they can see how many are actually booked, much easier to control than ticket type, and would push people to stay at a Disney resort rather than off site which helps revenue flow as well.

The United States of America’s tax payers will be paying for Disney’s bail out. We are all citizens of the US. I absolutely hate when people start talking about states vs states. There should be no ID cards and certainty not closing borders between states. We are UNITED. Floridians would suffer if no one else ever came to Disney or Florida or to visit. We all need each other. We all are in this together. If you don’t like that don’t leave your house. I’m with the OP- personal responsibility.

It's phase 1...in phase 1, you go slow. Simplest way to go slow is to keep social circles small. To keep social circles small, you limit travel. To smartly limit travel, you keep to the state line.

I mean, it's that...or the crazy standards folks seem okay with. Seems phase 1 should obviously be the simplest, easiest to enforce (and legal) path...since HIPAA precludes pretty much all the medical privacy stuff folks seem okay pushing...

PS - And locals, as paying the least (with very limited travel costs), would be okay with the limited experience the most and would be the easiest to go home if they get sick and need to personally quarantine...so from Disney's own perspective, this type of opening has the most to gain and the least to lose...

EDIT To Add: I could see Phase 1 - FL, Phase 2 - all of US, Phase 3 - all countries as the reasonable opening standard...easiest and fastest to enforce and move in...and most likely to mimic how airplane travel restarts in bulk and when...

Last edited:
What about passholders from out of state who have a room reservation? People always say this about limiting passholder, but there are so many who have to book a full trip to go, and then they’re just gonna be like “we’re sorry, can’t come in”. It’s not like DLR where most passholders are local. It would also be so hard with people booking dining within the park who may have an AP rather than general admission. I could see then limiting to onsite people for a while since they can see how many are actually booked, much easier to control than ticket type, and would push people to stay at a Disney resort rather than off site which helps revenue flow as well.
Florida Resident annual passes are different from out of state ones. I could see Phase 1 of the reopening being limited to Florida residents (pass holders or not). At least that would seem like a reasonable step. Then maybe Phase 2 would be Florida residents and guests with resort reservations.

That’s us. We have Aps & have a resort room booked in July & live out of state.

If they do this, they better hope that the locals have enough money to keep the park going. I'm not traveling from OK for this experience but if I lived there, I'd deal with it.
I suspect that's part of the plan. If they plan to implement any measure of social distancing, they'll need to keep attendance down. Limiting the experience will have that effect.

It's phase 1...in phase 1, you go slow. Simplest way to go slow is to keep social circles small. To keep social circles small, you limit travel. To smartly limit travel, you keep to the state line.

I mean, it's that...or the crazy standards folks seem okay with. Seems phase 1 should obviously be the simplest, easiest to enforce (and legal) path...since HIPAA precludes pretty much all the medical privacy stuff folks seem okay pushing...

PS - And locals, as paying the least (with very limited travel costs), would be okay with the limited experience the most and would be the easiest to go home if they get sick and need to personally quarantine...so from Disney's own perspective, this type of opening has the most to gain and the least to lose...
From Disney standpoint just limiting it to locals might not be financially viable. Most will have ap meaning no incoming money that way, locals also tend to spend less on food and merchandise, we don't need to stay onsite, so locals alone might not be enough for Disney to open back up, not even partially

And it doesn’t make sense if they were planning this for them to allow resort bookings at all resorts starting in June. Moving people from other resorts to those makes zero sense either as it would make them too crowded to put the social distancing at resorts in to place. If they planned on only opening a few resorts they would only allow booking at those resorts. This feels like someone’s imagination ran wild.
I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility for Disney to make people sign waivers clearing them of charges should someone get sick, especially if they open before there is clear evidence that it is even remotely safe.

From Disney standpoint just limiting it to locals might not be financially viable. Most will have ap meaning no incoming money that way, locals also tend to spend less on food and merchandise, we don't need to stay onsite, so locals alone might not be enough for Disney to open back up, not even partially

They likely won't open everything...I'd expect few hotels and possibly not even all the parks...but locals are the folks who will least care about that b/c they'll either drive in or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter