Room location request (but not needing an accessible room)

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
Can you make a room location request if you have special needs, but not in need of a handicap accessible room? Is there a department that handles that?

Can you make a room location request if you have special needs, but not in need of a handicap accessible room? Is there a department that handles that?
As I mentioned in your prior thread, you can certainly make all the location requests you wish. There is not a special department for that.
But in the prior thread you stated that you have mobility issues and NEED a specific location. That is different than a general requests. If it is a medical need it would be handled by the same department as an accessible room.
I believe you need to decide what you want/need.
Maybe someone else can explain better than I did.

“Accessible” rooms are located throughout each resort property — may be “close” or far. While you can make a request, and they will do their best to accommodate, I don’t believe there is any guarantee for medical need. I believe for “mobility” concerns regarding distances the guest would be expected to use an appropriate mobility aid. A couple of resorts without elevators used to take “medical” requests for first floor, but it still wasn’t guaranteed.

Enjoy your vacation!

In the past, when we've requested a first floor for medical reasons at OKW, we were told unless we specifically needed/requested a handicap room, there was no guarantee of being assigned a first floor. One trip, we were assigned to a second floor...which didn't work at all for my husband and his ECV. There were drawbacks to using the handicapped room given his condition which is why we didn't go that route. We much prefer staying at resorts where we don't need to worry about being on the first floor and was one of the reasons we sold our DVC OKW contract. When we purchased, we were young.... never thought about disease or old age limiting our ability to climb stairs! :-)

In the past, when we've requested a first floor for medical reasons at OKW, we were told unless we specifically needed/requested a handicap room, there was no guarantee of being assigned a first floor. One trip, we were assigned to a second floor...which didn't work at all for my husband and his ECV. There were drawbacks to using the handicapped room given his condition which is why we didn't go that route. We much prefer staying at resorts where we don't need to worry about being on the first floor and was one of the reasons we sold our DVC OKW contract. When we purchased, we were young.... never thought about disease or old age limiting our ability to climb stairs! :-)

This makes sense. Thanks. Where did you wind up choosing instead?

You can request a preferred room, (booking category usually closest to food court, etc) but it costs extra.

You can request a preferred room, (booking category usually closest to food court, etc) but it costs extra.

Booking the “preferred” category works if staying at a resort offering it (usually values). A “request” for a preferred room doesn't work if not booked in that category at those resorts. From a post on the Resorts Forum, I believe OP is staying at the Poly which doesn’t have a similar category.

OP - I would request “close to ____” and no other requests. Rather than trying to figure out which building has the best odds, state your request simply and let them assign you an available room that best fits your stated request. If you request a specific building, the assigners don’t know why you want that building and second-best option may not be given if that building is not available. But do remember that a request is never guaranteed so be prepared to manage if necessary. Offer to switch rooms the next day if that might get what you want.

Enjoy your vacation!

Booking the “preferred” category works if staying at a resort offering it (usually values). A “request” for a preferred room doesn't work if not booked in that category at those resorts. From a post on the Resorts Forum, I believe OP is staying at the Poly which doesn’t have a similar category.

OP - I would request “close to ____” and no other requests. Rather than trying to figure out which building has the best odds, state your request simply and let them assign you an available room that best fits your stated request. If you request a specific building, the assigners don’t know why you want that building and second-best option may not be given if that building is not available. But do remember that a request is never guaranteed so be prepared to manage if necessary. Offer to switch rooms the next day if that might get what you want.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you, great idea. Yes, it's the Poly btw.

This makes sense. Thanks. Where did you wind up choosing instead?

For moderates, we've stayed at POR and will be staying at POFQ this coming trip. Poly, AKL, BLT, WL are other locations we've stayed without issue. We've also done CBR and Coronado Springs, but never had a problem getting a first floor. Only at OKW did we have issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter