ROFR Thread July to Sept 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling Canada an Iceland is not very nice, especially on Canada Day. Happy Canada Day to all my fellow cdn disney freaks. Ps, reminder, you're welcome rest of the world, Walts parents were Canadian so you only have Chapek in charge of a company you love because of two CDNs who produced Walt and Roy.
Lol, they were asking how my trip to Iceland was- I had mentioned that I was travelling there and wouldn't be able to update the thread for a while as a result :).

But I hope that you also had a nice Canada Day! And can you believe I didn’t know that Walt’s parents were Canadian…

Lol, they were asking how my trip to Iceland was- I had mentioned that I was travelling there and wouldn't be able to update the thread for a while as a result :).

But I hope that you also had a nice Canada Day! And can you believe I didn’t know that Walt’s parents were Canadian…
Yes I knew they were referring to your trip to the real Iceland, just a little Canada Day humor. I can believe it actually as most people, even Cdn disney fans don't know about Walts parents. Walt actually came to Ontario trying to find the homes(farms) his parents grew up in.

ahintz---$125-$14,678-100-AUL-Feb-100/22, 100/23, 100/24-sent 7/1

This is my first time buying into DVC after looking at it for years. Our son is 2-years-old now, so figured we'll make use of it either in Hawaii or WDW for many years to come. Probably not the last set of points we'll buying if this works out as I hope it does.
Same boat. 3 yr old son and we go to Hawaii every year. Why not lock in at aulani right?

Maybe brokers should add a penalty that only kicks in if it’s found out after and wasn’t disclosed.

If the buyer agrees to accept the delay after the fact that is given to them off purchase prices.

Maybe if a seller knows they will be charged extra for not being honest, then more will ensure they disclose correctly and make sure to review things like waitlists to ensure nothing is set up to potentially alter things.

Nothing charged upfront but at time of closing if there was no disclosure.
I 100% agree. There should be penalties to the seller if they drag out closing too!

For those of you buying Aulani for “sleep around points”, what’s your biggest concerns about the future, if any? I guess I think about the fact that the contract is longer so other resorts may become off limits due to resale restrictions…and it may severely decrease in value that last decade or so. Or the possibility that dues there could increase at a higher rate because of the location? I guess I’m just wondering what I’m missing before I change tactics. I realize there are so many unknowns about the future. But I’m just not liking the idea of trying to pass ROFR for Saratoga again at this time.
So for full transparency I do own 175 direct Riviera points that I bought back in Nov 2019. So I do look at my recent Aulani purchase through the lens of a person that can get into a WDW dvc resort at the 11 month mark already. With that being said in mid April I made an $131pp offer on a 230pt SSR contract. It took Disney 42 days to tell me they were taking it. So I was way less than thrilled to make another SSR contract offer. But I also was very unwilling to pay $200pp by buying direct. My purpose for wanting that 230 points was wanting to use a grand villa every other year for a week for my bigger family trips in mid December. The Aulani contract that I should be closed on very very soon is 270 points. So at the 7 month mark for my current booked December trip I looked at availability. There was only 1 grand villa available for the full week I would have needed and that was at SSR. But almost every resort had 2br villas available for that full week. We always bank a full year of points for these trips. So getting 2 2br villas is doable with that amount of points. And the best part for us is when we do decide to take a Hawaii vacation we will have them to use. We actually do go to Hawaii every 5 years. I think if you already own at WDW dvc resort and enjoy Hawaii vacations it’s not a bad gamble.

So for full transparency I do own 175 direct Riviera points that I bought back in Nov 2019. So I do look at my recent Aulani purchase through the lens of a person that can get into a WDW dvc resort at the 11 month mark already. With that being said in mid April I made an $131pp offer on a 230pt SSR contract. It took Disney 42 days to tell me they were taking it. So I was way less than thrilled to make another SSR contract offer. But I also was very unwilling to pay $200pp by buying direct. My purpose for wanting that 230 points was wanting to use a grand villa every other year for a week for my bigger family trips in mid December. The Aulani contract that I should be closed on very very soon is 270 points. So at the 7 month mark for my current booked December trip I looked at availability. There was only 1 grand villa available for the full week I would have needed and that was at SSR. But almost every resort had 2br villas available for that full week. We always bank a full year of points for these trips. So getting 2 2br villas is doable with that amount of points. And the best part for us is when we do decide to take a Hawaii vacation we will have them to use. We actually do go to Hawaii every 5 years. I think if you already own at WDW dvc resort and enjoy Hawaii vacations it’s not a bad gamble.
Still not sure it’s a good strategy to buy 270 Aulani points to go there every 5 years. The dues are too high, but am sure you’ll figure out a good way to use the points!

Still not sure it’s a good strategy to buy 270 Aulani points to go there every 5 years. The dues are too high, but am sure you’ll figure out a good way to use the points!
Aulani dues is at $8.67. I’m already paying $8.38 for Riviera. Maybe my views are off because I started at a resort with what most seem to call high dues. I gave OKW a look but their dues jumped to $8.80. Just my perspective.

Aulani dues is at $8.67. I’m already paying $8.38 for Riviera. Maybe my views are off because I started at a resort with what most seem to call high dues. I gave OKW a look but their dues jumped to $8.80. Just my perspective.
I agree - I think the focus on how high the Aulani dues are are exaggerated. Yes, they are on the higher side, but they are really not that out of line with them other Disney World resorts, and the savings from buying Aulani if invested could be fairly valuable.

Last edited:
I agree - I think the focus on how high the Aulani dues are are aggregated. Yes, they are on the higher side, but they are really not that out of line with them other Disney World resorts, and the savings from buying Aulani if invested could be fairly valuable.
But I think the thought is they will escalate faster like Hilton head and vero because it is beach front. Those are significantly higher than the rest of dvc.

But I think the thought is they will escalate faster like Hilton head and vero because it is beach front. Those are significantly higher than the rest of dvc.

I agree that AUL dues will appreciate at a higher rate than WDW properties, but I don't think it will be at the rate of VB or HHI. AUL is much larger than HHI and VB. Similar to SSR, the dues are spread across a much larger number of owners.

I don't think you can accurately compare Aulani to either Vero Beach or Hilton Head.

The Hawaiian Islands get hit with significant storms maybe once in 25 or 30 years (the last being Hurricane Iniki in 1992). Because of the general weather patterns in the north eastern Pacific, there are barely a handful of storms (fingers on one hand) every year that could even generate significant damage and then you have to have the perfect storm pattern to even get close to Hawaii. The East Coast, on the other hand, has 4 or 5 times that number, in an area 1/4 the size. The chances (and history) of Vero and HHI getting hit by either a hurricane or strong tropical storm are much, much higher.

An extreme example would be if Disney had decided to build a resort here in the other Orange County, next to the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Niguel, for example. While not a "desert", we are considered a "semi-arid" climate, with minimal rainfall and typically very dry (low humidity). That hypothetical resort, built right on the beach, would get virtually zero effect from or exposure to, storm damage of any kind whatsoever. It's all a matter of degrees.

Also, the construction types are radically different, with Aulani primarily a mid-rise concrete and steel structure with engineered exterior curtain walls. Yes, there is the constant presence of moisture, but the buildings are newer, better designed, and incorporate better construction technology.

Last edited:
I agree that AUL dues will appreciate at a higher rate than WDW properties, but I don't think it will be at the rate of VB or HHI. AUL is much larger than HHI and VB. Similar to SSR, the dues are spread across a much larger number of owners.
I agree with this. I think the DVC resorts that share common space with hotels, will have dues that go up more slowly than stand alone DVC properties.

Is it just the 4th of July that is a holiday? Is there a chance we could hear from the ROFR monster on the 5th?(I'm starting to get a tad impatient.....)

I agree - I think the focus on how high the Aulani dues are are exaggerated. Yes, they are on the higher side, but they are really not that out of line with them other Disney World resorts, and the savings from buying Aulani if invested could be fairly valuable.
But the resort is on the ocean, and will require more and more maintenance over time, meaning the dues will probably rise at a higher percentage than other WDW resorts. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a resort on the other side of the world for SAP, foregoing the 11 month advantage with a home resort where you’ll almost never need it. That said, Aulani is sensational, so I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter