ROFR Thread July to Sept 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the connection. How does Disney having points enable them to do that?

They basically could use SSR as SAPs for owners to upgrade who are part of a paid program…similar to OTU points but not capped?

A 7 months, they snag larger rooms at other resorts as well. Lots of ways to accomplish it! But it’s why I said it’s a wild idea.

A 7 months, they snag larger rooms at other resorts as well. Lots of ways to accomplish it! But it’s why I said it’s a wild idea.
I think there would be a huge stink if it turned out that DVC was using their points to snag arbitrary rooms using their own SAP, just to sit on them as potential upgrades. It's one thing to use their conventional means, but having a crew sitting in a room making what amount to ghost reservations (because they are using their points at SSR to make reservations at Resort B, just like the regular members) in direct competition with the little guy (you and me) seems a bit unfair. With 100's of thousand of potential SAP points at their disposal, they could clog up the booking toilet across the board.

I think there would be a huge stink if it turned out that DVC was using their points to snag arbitrary rooms using their own SAP, just to sit on them as potential upgrades. It's one thing to use their conventional means, but having a crew sitting in a room making what amount to ghost reservations (because they are using their points at SSR to make reservations at Resort B, just like the regular members) in direct competition with the little guy (you and me) seems a bit unfair. With 100's of thousand of potential SAP points at their disposal, they could clog up the booking toilet across the board.

If it is part of a paid perks program, then I think it’d be fair game for them to do it….but, even then, it would have to be carefully crafted but personally, would not be bothered by it.

It may be more as dedicated CMs who someone calls at 7 months to try and upgrade. Or requests are put in ahead of time, and that how it works..

I don’t think the random take them all would be the approach.

@wnielsen1 I see you laughing...stop making fun of me! ;)

having a crew sitting in a room making what amount to ghost reservations (because they are using their points at SSR to make reservations at Resort B, just like the regular members) in direct competition with the little guy (you and me) seems a bit unfair.
Heavens to Betsy! Disney would never, ever do something that could be construed as unfair!

they could clog up the booking toilet across the board.
That's the best metaphor I've seen in a long time! :rotfl2:

If it is part of a paid perks program, then I think it’d be fair game for them to do it….but, even then, it would have to be carefully crafted but personally, would not be bothered by it.
My point is that at resorts where 7-month booking is already a challenge, Disney sweeping in to grab up all the available rooms using their own SAP could virtually eliminate any hope of ever getting into those resports for non-owners.

I don't see how it being a paid program makes any difference. The issue is whether DVC can use their own points as SAP and then compete with regular owners trying to book non-home resorts at 7 months. Whether a member paid for the privilege of DVC doing that for them or not is moot.

Last edited:
My point is that at resorts where 7-month booking is already a challenge, Disney sweeping in to grab up all the available rooms using their own SAP w=could virtually eliminate any hope of ever getting into those resports for non-owners.

I don't see how it being a paid program makes any difference. The issue is whether DVC can use their own points as SAP and then compete with regular owners trying to book non-home resorts at 7 months. Whether a member paid for the privilege of DVC doing that for them or not is moot.

They can do it now and do not take a lot of rooms as 7 months. I don’t see that happening.

My point was a potential reason beyond sale for more SSR points. And offering owners who are part of a program an option to upgrade using their points could be the way

The paid program makes a difference in that you a paying for someone to book for you…like a concierge….

So, yeah, I would be fine with such a program where potential upgrades could happen.

It may be more as dedicated CMs who someone calls at 7 months to try and upgrade. Or requests are put in ahead of time, and that how it works..

I don’t think the random take them all would be the approach.
But they'd have to have something in their pocket. Otherwise, they'd be charging you for a program that only guarantees you that they will "try" to snag an upgrade and that would also negate their need to have a large stockpile of points. They can already do that with the inventory of rooms they have now under current rules.

I don't have a problem with some College Program kid slaving away trying to grab 7-month ressies on a per-case basis (a la a concierge service), but you don't need 100s of thousands of points sitting in your pocket to do that.

What you WOULD need that many points for is to grab as many rooms as you can at 7-months (rolling), offer them as upgrades to your paid subscribers, and sit on the unused rooms until they become breakage and you can sell them for cash.

Last edited:
But they'd have to have something in their pocket. Otherwise, they'd be charging you for a program that only guarantees you that they will "try" to snag an upgrade and that would also negate their need to have a large stockpile of points.

They have things in their pockets now…that is nothing new. And, nothing different than MM..you would be guaranteed the chance for an upgrade..not guaranteed to get one.

The points would be used to pay for the upgrade. So, I have a one bedroom, and there is a 2 bedroom, then those extra points come from them.

Like I said, there are plenty of things they can do with these extra points beyond selling them and being part of the paid program for upgrades would be one of them.

Lets not derail the thread. I think it’d be a great program and I am sure others won’t.

Yeah still doesn’t seem like a likely scenario for Disney to do that. How many DVC owners do they have? It would take a lot of money in paid perks to equal the same revenue as selling 95k of points at 200pp (19,000,000). Then also the maintenance fees that those points represent.

Also I can’t put my finger on why, but I hate the idea of Disney competing with owners for rooms. It opens up so much space for them to be even more shady. Seems gross.

Bring on the Lapu Lapu =). May add on direct when it's available.

lovethesun12---$164-$9616-54-PVB-Dec-0/20, 54/21, 108/22, 54/23- sent 7/1
Congrats! And YESSSS to the lapu lapu!!! DH and I have been making these at home a lot lately, but can't wait to get back to the Poly (hopefully as a new owner, day 25 of ROFR here) to have a legit one with my toes in that Disney sand.

Congrats! And YESSSS to the lapu lapu!!! DH and I have been making these at home a lot lately, but can't wait to get back to the Poly (hopefully as a new owner, day 25 of ROFR here) to have a legit one with my toes in that Disney sand.
I keep forgetting that's a drink, here I am thinking y'all are going crazy over fish (lapu-lapu is the Filipino word for grouper) hahaha

We’re on day 25 of our 4th attempt for SSR.

We got an update from our broker today that the sellers failed to disclose an upcoming trip, so the contract’s closing date had to be amended until mid October. 😩

It’s a 225pt SSR at $123pp, international seller. We decided it was worth the wait and agreed to the later closing, but it’s disappointing bc we’ve been feeding the ROFR monster since March and just want to plan some trips! Now it goes back for ROFR…

We’re on day 25 of our 4th attempt for SSR.

We got an update from our broker today that the sellers failed to disclose an upcoming trip, so the contract’s closing date had to be amended until mid October. 😩

It’s a 225pt SSR at $123pp, international seller. We decided it was worth the wait and agreed to the later closing, but it’s disappointing bc we’ve been feeding the ROFR monster since March and just want to plan some trips! Now it goes back for ROFR…
Just happened to us last week but it was January so we backed out. So aggravating. We found a better deal but still now back to ROFR all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter