ROFR Thread April to June 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROFR monster waiting for their new allowance allocation July 1st to start eating again.

(I know nothing. But as much as they’ve been taking lately, feels like they may be waiting for some arbitrary deadline to be able to take more. Just a guess. Since they have no reason to rush most times, they can just wait it out a bit.)

One "crazy" thought I have about why they might be slowing down and making people wait for the ROFR decision.......

They see the economic recession train coming down the tracks and are anticipating a decrease in demand. They will slow buybacks to not hold onto as much inventory. Rather than buy back at the same rate they will just push out the decision for as long as they are allowed to.

ROFR isn't just to make Disney money and to keep a floor on the value of the product. It seems to primarily be a process to make resale purchase more painful so more people make the decision to go direct. Slow rolling ROFR decisions add more pain to the resale purchase market with no (direct) costs to Disney.

We'll see what happens in the next week..... If Disney decides to take back VGC then I'll just stay in the game and keep making them buy it back until I can buy one at a price I feel is appropriate for the market conditions :)

One "crazy" thought I have about why they might be slowing down and making people wait for the ROFR decision.......

They see the economic recession train coming down the tracks and are anticipating a decrease in demand. They will slow buybacks to not hold onto as much inventory. Rather than buy back at the same rate they will just push out the decision for as long as they are allowed to.

ROFR isn't just to make Disney money and to keep a floor on the value of the product. It seems to primarily be a process to make resale purchase more painful so more people make the decision to go direct. Slow rolling ROFR decisions add more pain to the resale purchase market with no (direct) costs to Disney.

We'll see what happens in the next week..... If Disney decides to take back VGC then I'll just stay in the game and keep making them buy it back until I can buy one at a price I feel is appropriate for the market conditions :)
I think we're overthinking it. I'd wager that the ROFR person is just on vacation.

This is an interesting idea. We spoke with a Direct sales associate for several months prior to submitting for our first resale purchase. We have had 4 resale contracts taken in ROFR, so is it possible since they know of our interest to buy direct at one point, they are making the resale process difficult for us to steer us back direct?

I think we're overthinking it. I'd wager that the ROFR person is just on vacation.
Yep, I agree. That's why I labeled it crazy. A few days ago I said my primary thought why I was hitting the high 30 day wait period was vacation(s).

I'll also add that my guide who is going to show me around some of the WDW resorts to consider a direct purchase said some of the team is traveling to the west coast and many are taking vacations right now. He didn't say directly that it was to get some knowledge of what Disney is building over there, but it was sort of hinted at :)

This is an interesting idea. We spoke with a Direct sales associate for several months prior to submitting for our first resale purchase. We have had 4 resale contracts taken in ROFR, so is it possible since they know of our interest to buy direct at one point, they are making the resale process difficult for us to steer us back direct?
I highly doubt it would be person specific. More than likely the resort you are trying to buy is popular and Disney thinks it can make money on the buy and resale of it. So if you want to try and get a deal, ROFR will just be something you have to navigate around. I think it's just one of the reasons they are active in ROFR, to slow down the process and make direct more appealing :)

I don't think they do that at all because its just wouldn't be enough repeat buyers trying to make it worth the time and effort.

See I think the same. We had gone on our DVC account and played with direct add on prices while waiting for our ROFR last time. They took ours days later- a lot quicker than I am seeing other ones that get taken. We were less than 3 weeks. So I’m wondering if they weren’t thinking hey these people are toying with direct- let’s see if we can push them to do it by taking this. Little do they know once I messed around on their site I was even more convinced that resale was our only option.

Another thought on AKV related to the unit theory. Aren’t some points Jambo and others Kidani? I never see that info included in the sale listings but DVD would know the type of points for each. I wonder if that might be part of their analysis too and some of the reason why the range of buybacks is so big.

Just waiting for my contract to finish review and wasting brain power on theories that I’ll never be able to prove or disprove :fish:

So for entertainment value (and because I was bored), I went back and looked... my AKV that got taken in ROFR and the one that passed (though, international seller) were both Kidani units (edit: both on the north wing of Kidani, though different floors). But that didn't surprise me given the relative number of units in Kidani vs Jambo anyway and the number overall being taken. Neither proving nor disproving theory, just a data point.

Last edited:
Probably unrelated, but a day or two after my last contract was sent for ROFR, my Direct dvc guide called me "just to check in". I thought it was a weird coincidence. The contract was taken after 55 days. I almost wondered if they were trying to make it more painful for me so I would decide to go direct.

So for entertainment value (and because I was bored), I went back and looked... my AKV that got taken in ROFR and the one that passed (though, international seller) were both Kidani units (edit: both on the north wing of Kidani, though different floors). But that didn't surprise me given the relative number of units in Kidani vs Jambo anyway and the number overall being taken. Neither proving nor disproving theory, just a data point.
I just checked mine. The first one I bought that passed ROFR was Kidani, second one that got taken was Kidani. The one I have in ROFR review that's an international seller is Jambo.

Actually, I'm probably more anxious than most to be honest. I'm waiting on an add-on contract in my UY for my BRV points. It was a rare, sub-100 point contract that I offered on, even though it it is partially stripped (but has some 2022 points I can bank back in to 2023), because they are so hard to come by.

If it gets taken, I'll 100% just buy direct (although fewer points than the resale contract, especially with the price bump) because I'm not going to wait around for 6 months or so for another match to list.

Actually, I'm probably more anxious than most to be honest. I'm waiting on an add-on contract in my UY for my BRV points. It was a rare, sub-100 point contract that I offered on, even though it it is partially stripped (but has some 2022 points I can bank back in to 2023), because they are so hard to come by.

If it gets taken, I'll 100% just buy direct (although fewer points than the resale contract, especially with the price bump) because I'm not going to wait around for 6 months or so for another match to list.

Then my crystal ball today says you are going to get good news! Whether its this contract or the direct one! Lol

I don't think they do that at all because its just wouldn't be enough repeat buyers trying to make it worth the time and effort.
I don't think it would take much effort on their part though. Once your name is entered in to the system, the ROFR would detect the name and cross check. Should be fairly simple for them to do. There may not be a ton of repeat buyers, but any buyer that's shown interest buying direct, automatically goes in a database.

Total conspiracy theory of course, but just interesting to think of ways they can game the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter