River Country Boardwalk, Gazebo and other changes.

ynottony99

Ask me about the Mickey Waffles!!!!!!!
I expected to see all of River Country bulldozed and being hauled out by the dump truck load when we arrived today. However that was not the case. There was activity in 2 areas that we could observe today.

The most dramatic was the already reported on removal of the board walk and gazebo on the lake.

From the boat dock looking west.
1.jpg

The crew was removing the walk way and appeared to be loading the old wood onto this boat.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Not much left at this point.

4.jpg

They have a lot of tools piled on the floor of the gazebo, and have already started tearing it down.

5.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiverC.jpg

Inside the entrance to River Country there was a lot of activity. Lots of workers, both contractors, and Disney made it impossible to launch any sort of stealth mission behind the fence.

What we did find is a new construction fence that is preventing access to the buildings just west of the Backyard BBQ.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

This area has been open in the past, and has Restrooms. The focus today was not on removing something, but they were putting up new siding on this existing building. I will look back and see if I have a good photo of this building from before to see just what they have changed.

3-1.jpg

At any rate it is good to see that they are not leveling the whole place. Like I said there were lots of people working here, and walking in and out of the area. Several 'hardhats' were walking around with blueprints, and this truck was sitting out back in the parking lot.

4-1.jpg

I could see nothing going in in the water park area itself. The only thing besides the guys tearing out the boardwalk was a that 2 lake patrol boats seemed to stay stationed in the area between Discovery Island and River Country. I presume they are keeping an eye out for TCD!!!

There are a few more photos, but sadly, this is pretty much all I have to offer on this.

where they guy is standing in the third to last photo is where i took this one.

rivercountry.jpg

I don't really know what they tore down off of it. But I thought it was strange they were tearing down the bathrooms... guess a bit of refurb on it.

I wish I had a better camera than just my phone to take pictures like that.

I've also noticed there's a guy from Lake Patrol that comes into qdoba in the later afternoon. This was my second time seeing him there today, but I didn't have the chance to ask him what lake he was on.

Great update Tony! It is kind of sad to see the walkway and gazebo disappearing. I always enjoy seeing those from the boat, even in a state of decay. They were just a nice landmark.

It broke my heart when they closed R.C. Now, it breaks my heart even more to hear of its' destruction. I always held hope that one day they would refurbish and reopen it. My hopes are officially dashed. :sad1:

If they replace R.C. with a nice food court, I can live with it - but I'm doubting that will happen.

Just how popular is the Backyard BBQ for them to refurb the pavillion? Isn't it only open on select days?

Anyhow - thanks for the update, Tony.

I think Disney is gonna replace RC with a Flea Market/Swap Meet kind of a place for the campers.

It broke my heart when they closed R.C. Now, it breaks my heart even more to hear of its' destruction. I always held hope that one day they would refurbish and reopen it. My hopes are officially dashed. :sad1:

If they replace R.C. with a nice food court, I can live with it - but I'm doubting that will happen.

Just how popular is the Backyard BBQ for them to refurb the pavillion? Isn't it only open on select days?

Anyhow - thanks for the update, Tony.

I guess the Backyard BBQ is quite popular. Next week will be our third trip to the Fort this year and the first time we have been able to get a ressie for thw BBQ. They book up within a couple of days of 90 days out.

Maybe they are adding showers to the restrooms in the siding photo??? If they do an upgraded camping area they will need some.

Permit Request Info: In the Construction Industry - found this info in the permit application center.

Renovations? just Drinking and Wastewater Permit at this time.

Permit Application Under Review
Site Name: RCID (DW)
FDEP Office: CENTRAL DISTRICT
Florida County: ORANGE
Permit Type: Water - Domestic Wastewater Collection/Transmission System
Application Number: 182538-013
Applicant Name:
Applicant Company: WALT DISNEY WORLD
Application Received: FEB-09-2010
Current Processing Status
FDEP is currently reviewing this permit request.

Just walked over there and what ever the building was/is they are working on they are putting new shingles on the roof..

They certainly know how to stir our attention! I feel like it's just a matter of time before word leaks out on Disney's intentions at RC. I'm staying tuned!

OMG!!
I didn't know. I hate to see the boardwalk and gazebo are gone.
Pictures of the Fort including these are on my desktop!
I will miss them on our future trips.
No more news on why they took them down?

Thanks for the updates!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter