River Country Boardwalk, Gazebo and other changes.

Got back yesterday, left my memory card at home= no pictures :eek:

things I noticed:

1.) still working on taking down wood, gazebo was still up when I was there but the boardwalk is gone,

2.) Fence that was pictured above is still up so you cannot see much.

3.) There were odd spray paint markings in the pavement on the loop roads (not near RC). There were several 3 x 3 inch blue squares all over, couldn't figure out what they were for? Also some circles with numbers and arrows.

4.) Trails End- we were with another family and had breakfast, lunch, and dinner at TE by the end of the trip and everyone enjoyed it. We think they added items, my family all thought there were more items? Anyone else notice who has been recently? We also had Ken and Mean Jean :thumbsup2 We have been going to TE for years and will continue to keep going!

TE part 2: above some pp's were talking about a discount at TE, don't remember what it was called and some posters said they accepted it and others said they did not accept it? Well when we were they this weekend they WERE accepting it, the party in front of us had it.

5.) That's all I can think of for now, the fort was packed!

p.s. about the FL $99 deal going on, if you do the volunteer thing, they will deduct the free pass from the $99 so it ends up being $21 for 4 days! A little over $5 a day for 4 days, crazy!

Ashley, thanks for the info. :thumbsup2 I think we are going to have to wait just a little longer to find out just what is going on.

I think there have been some small improvements to TE's breakfast. Selection is a little better, and quality was good on our visit last Tuesday.

Thanks!

Lucy_ Love, thanks for the update. I am sure all of us would love to see your pictures when you get a chance. :surfweb: If it weren't for this website I would go nuts without a Disney Fix between trips.

very interesting update!
i do have pictures from RC from just a few months before it closed, but i don't know where they are :eek:
i've found a few of them, but only of the kids in the water...
but i remember taking pictures all over the place on that visit...
one day i'll come upon them....

p.s. About the fl $99 deal going on, if you do the volunteer thing, they will deduct the free pass from the $99 so it ends up being $21 for 4 days! A little over $5 a day for 4 days, crazy!

WOW! what a deal!

I thought I would put up a few more photos from a couple of weeks back. Maybe someone will spot something that is of interest.

One thing I have never paid much attention to is the area to the west or right of RC as you look from the lake. There is a metal building and boat dock there. Anyone know just what it's function is?

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-17.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-16.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-15.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-14.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-13.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-12.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-11.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-10.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-9.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-8.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-7.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-6.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-5.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-4.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-3.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-2.jpg

WaltDisneyWorldFortWildernessRiv-1.jpg

I like this view just not what I see
rc-3.jpg

rc-2.jpg

rc-1.jpg

Not sure if I am suposed to repost these:confused3 If not let me know and I will remove them. Otherwise enjoy:thumbsup2

Over the Summer while we were sneaking around taking pictures of RC, we ran across that building. It looks to be a break room used by Lake Patrol.

It's a break area for cast, life guards, rec, watercraft.

I really want to get back out there, but chicken out with the cold. Although this week is supposed to be warming up again.

It's a break area for cast, life guards, rec, watercraft.

I really want to get back out there, but chicken out with the cold. Although this week is supposed to be warming up again.

Yes it is suppose to be warming up this week. I hope you can make it over, and come back with some info./photos of whats happening.:)

Inspired by Tigger1966's post, I started doing some Google Earth snooping. I wanted to see where the road from the break area went to. It simply goes to the service area behind the TDC. But I did notice something I was unaware of. There is a trail along the lake that runs from the WL DVC. Now I knew there was a jogging trail that ran from FW to WL, along side of the service road.
But this seems to be a well defined trail that leaves the beach behind WL and then comes to an end well before it would make it to the RC area.

Has anyone explored this area?

googletrails.jpg

This makes me so sad :(

I grew up at River Country and have such fond memories. I try not to see the emtpy deserted graveyard as it stands and instead try to vision what it once was.
I have some amazing footage I recently put on DVD from reel to reel of River Country when I was a child. It brings tears to my eyes when I watch it.

I had always hoped they would have rehabbed RC. It was kind of like having our own water park. Before they closed it, there were rumors of allowing FW guests free access to it. I used to keep an annual pass for it for our use while staying at FW.

I always assumed they would just seal RC water off from the lake, drain it, then concrete the bottom and reopen it as a self-contained water system, like the other water parks. Since it was used a lot even after the other water parks opened, I assumed it would be justification to keep it open. But after a year of being abandoned, I knew that was not going to happen.

Now it is a fading memory of the ole' swimming hole that I and my kids grew up with.

Goodbye RC, we will miss you.

joggingpath.jpg

If you notice where the circle is, there's a fork in the path. To the left takes you past a fence, and towards the cast area. To the right, takes you back out towards the service road and onto the paved bike path.

The jogging path leads you to behind the WLV, the bike path leads you to the front of it.

joggingpath.jpg

If you notice where the circle is, there's a fork in the path. To the left takes you past a fence, and towards the cast area. To the right, takes you back out towards the service road and onto the paved bike path.

The jogging path leads you to behind the WLV, the bike path leads you to the front of it.

Thanks for the info. I always thought the bike path and jogging path were one in the same. I guess I need to explore this jogging path, just to say I have been there. Hope it's ok to walk on the jogging path! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I always thought the bike path and jogging path were one in the same. I guess I need to explore this jogging path, just to say I have been there. Hope it's ok to walk on the jogging path! :rolleyes:

I have walked on the "jogging path" before. I prefer the paved path though - I always end up with a lot of sand in my shoes on the "jogging path". I would think joggers would prefer the paved path as well. The "jogging path" takes off from WL right near the bike rentals, and I've seen a lot of cyclists take it as a shortcut to the paved bike trail.

I have walked on the "jogging path" before. I prefer the paved path though - I always end up with a lot of sand in my shoes on the "jogging path". I would think joggers would prefer the paved path as well. The "jogging path" takes off from WL right near the bike rentals, and I've seen a lot of cyclists take it as a shortcut to the paved bike trail.

I don't believe that is called a jogging path, I think it's called the Nature Trail. The jogging and bike paths are one in the same.

I rode my mountain bike down the trail to WL and then back up to the little shed. There is really not much to it....just a table, building, some fenced off pipes and such for RC. I also rode up behind the stables and into the cast member parking area, but I didn't stick around too long.

I don't believe that is called a jogging path, I think it's called the Nature Trail. The jogging and bike paths are one in the same.

I concur. It would have to be called, "Extreme Jogging Path" since the chance of twisting an ankle is high.

I liked it when the Bike/Jogging Path was a Fitness Trail. Much more nature like and the exercise stations were neat. Used very little also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter