Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: is it possible to get a BG by clicking on the “My Status” button? Might that be a work around for people whose “Join Boarding Group” button isn’t turning red?

I tried to play along from home, and it looked like that might be the case, but I’m looking for confirmation.
It appears from reports that alternating between these screens might be the most optimal plan of attack in fact.

It appears from reports that alternating between these screens might be the most optimal plan of attack in fact.
This seems to be the case for iPhone users. Some folks have also reported success with starting on the status screen and pulling down to refresh. I have not seen this approach be successful for Android (I have limited data, though, this is only anecdotal) - For Android, it seems that if you don't have a red button out front, you don't have a blue button inside. But if you do have a red button out front, you do have a blue button inside.

Question: is it possible to get a BG by clicking on the “My Status” button? Might that be a work around for people whose “Join Boarding Group” button isn’t turning red?

I tried to play along from home, and it looked like that might be the case, but I’m looking for confirmation.

Sure, if you have a red My Status button. When I tried in the park, all my buttons were greyed out. I couldn't click on anything.

Sure, if you have a red My Status button. When I tried in the park, all my buttons were greyed out. I couldn't click on anything.

That has been my experience as well. When this happens (to both husband & I), I’ve tried closing the app to restart, whereas this morning husband backed out to the “find out more” page and then back in. He got a red button whereas I didn’t get back in before he had a BG.

Yesterday, I did successfully shut the app and reopen it- never got anything but a grey button. He didn’t do anything, was talking to another guest when his button turned red. So I’m not convinced that doing anything matters if your button stays grey. It may just be that your button would eventually turn red of it’s own accord if they don’t run out of BG first.

Yesterday I think we just got very lucky in that back up boarding groups were available for a freakishly long time. Today we were better prepared for the possibility of a “late” red button and May have just responded to it more quickly (husband isn’t sure how long his button was red yesterday before he noticed it, we thought we were out of the running because it was probably 8:03 or so when we got our backup BG).

Now we are trying to decide if it’s worth keeping Feb 22 Flexpass reservations + Blue Bayou lunch and Feb 28/29 overnight trip with Lamplight brunch. Is it worth our time to drive 3-4 hr RT and maybe get shut out (presumably) because we have older slower phones?

My guess is that by October they won’t be using boarding groups anymore.
I hope this will be the case. I am predicting sometime next year as the holidays bring in more guests. It could take years before they stop using boarding groups entirely for this ride. When they do eventually stop using boarding groups the line will probably consistently be 4 hours long like flight of the passage at WDW.

That has been my experience as well. When this happens (to both husband & I), I’ve tried closing the app to restart, whereas this morning husband backed out to the “find out more” page and then back in. He got a red button whereas I didn’t get back in before he had a BG.

Yesterday, I did successfully shut the app and reopen it- never got anything but a grey button. He didn’t do anything, was talking to another guest when his button turned red. So I’m not convinced that doing anything matters if your button stays grey. It may just be that your button would eventually turn red of it’s own accord if they don’t run out of BG first.

Yesterday I think we just got very lucky in that back up boarding groups were available for a freakishly long time. Today we were better prepared for the possibility of a “late” red button and May have just responded to it more quickly (husband isn’t sure how long his button was red yesterday before he noticed it, we thought we were out of the running because it was probably 8:03 or so when we got our backup BG).

Now we are trying to decide if it’s worth keeping Feb 22 Flexpass reservations + Blue Bayou lunch and Feb 28/29 overnight trip with Lamplight brunch. Is it worth our time to drive 3-4 hr RT and maybe get shut out (presumably) because we have older slower phones?
What phones do you have?

I know this is slightly off topic, but how have crowds been after opening? Like at 9am? Are there still long security and parking lines? Is rope drop a mess? I feel like I’m out of the loop with DL after being at WDW.

I know this is slightly off topic, but how have crowds been after opening? Like at 9am? Are there still long security and parking lines? Is rope drop a mess? I feel like I’m out of the loop with DL after being at WDW.
There's way more people in the parks earlier now

Do we know how child switch works? Also can you get your queue from both parks? Now im regretting not getting park hoppers

Do we know how child switch works? Also can you get your queue from both parks? Now im regretting not getting park hoppers
You have to scan into Disneyland to join the queue but you don’t have to stay there. You can go to DCA. For child swap, I think everyone riding still needs a boarding group and they will send the second person down the FP line. Not sure if they allow 2 people to join like they do for other rides.

I got group 28 this morning.

Seemed to be more people here today than last Saturday.
Went back to the park today. Previous day's I had BG 71, 55, 21, 27... and today 116.

Tested the esplanade area. No wifi.
App opened before park opening and got the constant loading screens.

Word is getting out how early you have to be in the park. Mickey and Friends was a nightmare at 7am. Pixar Pal entrance was not open until after 710am.

Was able to park by 730am as the far right parking lane worked.

Didn't bring a bag. Went to Downtown Disney security. Packed and went to Disneyland Hotel security not as bad and they opened up a no bag check lane. Got thru by 740am.

Walked through Downtown Disney and got in the planter trick line on the left side. Line started near the center of the esplanade. Got through that and entered the park by 755am.

Exited the park by esplanade and got stuck with the loading screen but got 116.

ME

Word is definitely getting out. Today was crazy. Way more people than I expected from previous reports. Way worse than our experience WDW.

Much faster. But when WDW opened no one knew it was a must-do attraction yet. They also initially weren’t separating out backups. After a couple weeks it got much crazier, particularly with the holidays.

I anticipate DL will remain crazier than DHS for the foreseeable future. It opens later, there’s hundreds of thousands of AP holders who can go whenever, DL has roughly 2x the daily attendance of DHS, and it’s easier to park hop and people aren’t usually there for a week so ROTR is everyone’s #1 every single day.

We did ROTR a couple weeks ago at DHS and today was our attempt at DLR. Wow, what a difference. There were way more people at DLR than DHS from what I could tell. It was a very stressful morning.

We are staying at the Grand and got up around 6:45 am. We were at the downtown disney security gate from the hotel right after 7am. OMG the lines were crazy. My stress level shot through the roof. I had a backpack, but DH and DS23 (birthday boy today) didn't have any bags so I sent them through the line. I figured worst case scenario they would be in the park and able to ride even if I couldn't. I ran back up to the room to get rid of my backpack. The no bag line was walk through, and I caught up with them at the magic morning lines. I can't believe they had all those hotel people funneling through one line.

Then by time we got to the gates, the magic morning lines were ridiculous. They seemed to take forever. This was a completely different experience from WDW where you "tap in" very quickly. We seemed to be in the line that had every clueless person possible. Super frustrating. We didn't get though until about 7:40! Not what I was expecting.

We stuck to the right to enter the not-very-magic-morning line and headed toward the back of the park by small world. I had a speed tester app going and we tried out a few different places, and I was panicking. Last night when I speed tested *inside* Oga's, I was getting in the 150s. Today it was more like in the 30s. I finally found a place that was decent (70s) and we sat down without our five phones. The three of us had our regular iPhones (one 11, one x, and one 8 all on AT&T) as well as an old 8 and an old 6 that were on wifi. I had my apple watch with the count down on the table. We decided to split the difference and had two phones at the landing page and three pones with nothing open. It was all a flurry, but basically, I had a couple phones turn red, and I ended up going with the oldest phone (the iPhone 6) that was on wifi. I could have also done my iPhone 11 on AT&T, but I was worried about doing something at the same time and screwing up. So I kept my iPhone 11 AT&T on the red "join boarding group" page while I proceeded on the old iPhone 6. We ended up with boarding group 53, which was perfect for us as we had the napa rose princess breakfast for DS's birthday.

There were so many people that didn't get groups, I felt really badly for them. At WDW, it felt like most people were successful. That wasn't how it seemed here. I'm not sure how long the regular boarding groups lasted, but it felt really fast. My husband said he had a full about 35 seconds after 8.

WDW felt way more civilized compared to this morning. Very stressful.

Word is definitely getting out. Today was crazy. Way more people than I expected from previous reports.

Then by time we got to the gates, the magic morning lines were ridiculous. They seemed to take forever. We seemed to be in the line that had every clueless person possible. Super frustrating. We didn't get though until about 7:40! Not what I was expecting.

WDW felt way more civilized compared to this morning. Very stressful.

That Tinkerbell!!!!! The good concept about her sprinkling magic dust is that she equally spreads the clueless folks into all lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter