Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an email advertising ROTR and the SoCal ticket offer. There's no mention of the BG system in the email itself, but there is a "Find Out More" button, so I clicked that and there's STILL no explanation of it. It's got a video ad, the height requirement, a link for buying tickets, a ride description...

At the very bottom of that page, it does say this: "There may be times when Guests may be required to join a virtual queue to experience the new Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance attraction."

This does seem problematic to me. I do think people need to educate themselves (in particular, I think people going for the opening of a new ride need to do some research in advance, so people showing up on January 17 totally clueless is mostly on them, IMO), but if you're clicking the "Find Out More" part of the ad and you're STILL not really getting any information on boarding groups... that's not really fair on Disney's part.

OK, we're back at our regularly scheduled rate of 6 bgs in the last half hour. If they can hold this, we'll be through regular groups by a little after 2pm, but it will probably slow as all those groups who got called finish lunch and get over to the attraction.

I got off the ride recently and was surprised at how quickly we got through it. Between waiting in line and the actual ride it took maybe half an hour?

Anyway, I got to do it twice today thanks to rider swap! So in case anyone else is wondering about how rider swap works with BGs, here’s some bullet points (sorry if it’s been gone over before, I’m way behind on this thread).
  • A cast member will check your pass and send you on in
  • Another cast member directs people with BGs to left, and people who need to get or are redeeming a rider swap to the right
  • To get a rider swap, the CM will scan the ticket of those staying behind, plus any who will ride with them
  • If three people are staying behind, only those three will be let on with a rider swap pass. If one person is left behind, two people who already rode it can go with them
  • To redeem a rider swap pass, the group will go back to the right and the passes will be scanned off your phone app like a fast pass
  • The group will be sent through a shorter line and go straight to the first room where you first make contact with some resistance members

I just got an email advertising ROTR and the SoCal ticket offer. There's no mention of the BG system in the email itself, but there is a "Find Out More" button, so I clicked that and there's STILL no explanation of it. It's got a video ad, the height requirement, a link for buying tickets, a ride description...

At the very bottom of that page, it does say this: "There may be times when Guests may be required to join a virtual queue to experience the new Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance attraction."

This does seem problematic to me. I do think people need to educate themselves (in particular, I think people going for the opening of a new ride need to do some research in advance, so people showing up on January 17 totally clueless is mostly on them, IMO), but if you're clicking the "Find Out More" part of the ad and you're STILL not really getting any information on boarding groups... that's not really fair on Disney's part.
It seems disingenuous to me. Seems like a statement of "Due to high demand, boarding groups distribution may conclude shortly after park open. Plan accordingly" would be in order. They make it sound like you can waltz in and grab a BG mid day.

It seems disingenuous to me. Seems like a statement of "Due to high demand, boarding groups distribution may conclude shortly after park open. Plan accordingly" would be in order. They make it sound like you can waltz in and grab a BG mid day.
Not saying it is the right thing to do but clearly Disney is afraid of low attendance due to being forthright.

Remember last summer? They were very forthright and nobody came for fear of not being able to see SWGE. I think they are using ROTR as a way of making up for the poor attendance for launch of SWGE last year.

I realize that my criticisms tend to be all doom and gloom, and honestly wish I didn't feel that way. Believe me, like others who are analyzing trends, I would love nothing more than to start seeing days where the ride does not break down for hours at a time. A day where they get through the guaranteed groups by 1:00, and through 160 groups by park close.

I'm just fearful that what we are seeing now will become the norm for this ride. That they will reach a point where they conclude that this boarding group process is the only way to operate the attraction over the long term.

I also get annoyed that there is absolutely nothing in the advertisements of this ride to indicate these restrictions. I have no doubt that some are seeing the commercials of how fantastic this ride is, yet have no idea that there are multiple hoops to jump through, and really no guarantees that by paying your $100+ to visit DL, you will actually get on it. Surely there are people willing to wait multiple hours in a standby line, or are even expecting to have to deal with that, only to discover that scenario doesn't exist. You might get to park at 7:00 AM, yet 12 hours later, get a notification that you aren't getting on that day. It is very deceptive....and INTENTIONAL on Disney's part, I believe, to fail to mention this at all in their advertising. Heck, during the reservation period of Galaxy's Edge, it was a big bold statement on every ad, that you needed one in order to enter the new land.

In any case, I do hope things improve. I just fear that Disney is merely kicking the can down the road. Not necessarily because they want to, but because this extraordinary new ride is so advanced that when it breaks, and it does often, it more or less falls apart, resulting in 2, 3 or 4 hour downtimes.
I live near Orlando. They are advertising this ride on the billboards and radio. There is no mention of boarding groups or that you have to be in the park by opening to ride this ride. All they are saying is "Now open"

Not saying it is the right thing to do but clearly Disney is afraid of low attendance due to being forthright.

Remember last summer? They were very forthright and nobody came for fear of not being able to see SWGE. I think they are using ROTR as a way of making up for the poor attendance for launch of SWGE last year.
True...it will be interesting to see how the summer develops.

Dina, thanks for all your time and effort doing the chart!!!!
I find it so very interesting and makes it easy to follow what's been happening!!!!

So here's my experience...

We went to the parks this past weekend with the goal of scoring a BG on Saturday.

My SO isn't really a big Star Wars fan and wasn't really a fan of waking up super early, but she was doing this because I've been talking about this since the ride opened. Plus we have a 3 year old that we'd have to wake up early too. So even though I've been well prepped by everyone on this board (thank you!) and from watching videos on YouTube, I was still stressed out because my biggest concern was getting to the park in time.

We stayed about an 8-10 min walk from the DTD entrance and my goal was to be at security by 7a.

We left the hotel a few mins later than I had hoped, but we made up for it by putting a little pep in our step. But as we were walking, my SO mentioned that there wasn't a lot of other people walking with us and that I was probably being overdramatic about how early we had to get there blah, blah, blah. I just kind of bit my tongue and I said I hoped she was right, but I knew the truth. 😂

We turn the corner and see that the security line was backed up onto the grass area, which I expected because it was also EMH / MM.

Luckily we got through the line by about 715a then we hustled to the esplanade and got in line around 723a, which was back to DCA.

Apparently some lines opened up to our right and a mob of people rushed over, but instead of following the pack, we just stayed in our line because we figured it would get shorter from others leaving, which it did. However, staying in this line was a mistake, as it had to have been run by a new CM or something because that's the only reason I could imagine why our line was barely moving.

We were watching people on the left and right of us moving down their lines at a fast rate while ours stood still.

It was now almost 743a and we were barely halfway to the turnstile and it became clear that we might not make it. I then decided to jump in the line to the left, which was all the way back to DCA, because I knew it was the only chance to get in before 8a.

My SO stayed in our original line with our son and I slowly started making my way towards them. I eventually caught up to them around 752a, but we were still quite a ways away. That's when I looked at her and told her, "We're not going to make it," which was a super bummer for me because of how much I was looking forward to this, and then I knew my SO wasn't going to be happy because we got up early for nothing.

But then a miracle occurred at 755a. A couple lines opened up and we were able to scurry into the park at 757a!

We quickly got our apps ready and made our way to the train station, because I've read a lot of people had a lot of success there. We counted down the seconds, then at 8a I hit "Find Out More" to see the "Join Boarding Group" button was red, and after a few stressful seconds of button pushing, we got BG25!

I couldn't believe we actually did it after just a few mins prior I didn't even think we'd be in the park in time. I was so relieved and happy.

We were in the FP line for RSR when we got a text at 913a letting us know that our BG was ready.

It was an amazing ride and I have absolutely no regrets of putting us though all that stress! 😂😂😂

I hope everyone gets a chance to ride and has an experience that's a little less stressful than ours!!!
oh my god - i got so stressed just reading that as you were caught in the line with the clock counting down!
thanks for sharing your experience and thank god it had a happy ending!!!!!!!

I have also found the advertising to be very misleading. Not cool Disney!

Every person I have spoken to regarding riding this ride is completely clueless about what it takes to actually ride it.

I got off the ride recently and was surprised at how quickly we got through it. Between waiting in line and the actual ride it took maybe half an hour?

Anyway, I got to do it twice today thanks to rider swap! So in case anyone else is wondering about how rider swap works with BGs, here’s some bullet points (sorry if it’s been gone over before, I’m way behind on this thread).
  • A cast member will check your pass and send you on in
  • Another cast member directs people with BGs to left, and people who need to get or are redeeming a rider swap to the right
  • To get a rider swap, the CM will scan the ticket of those staying behind, plus any who will ride with them
  • If three people are staying behind, only those three will be let on with a rider swap pass. If one person is left behind, two people who already rode it can go with them
  • To redeem a rider swap pass, the group will go back to the right and the passes will be scanned off your phone app like a fast pass
  • The group will be sent through a shorter line and go straight to the first room where you first make contact with some resistance members
Thank you for this! We are going soon and I’ve never done rider switch/child swap before so I am kind of nervous to do it on this ride! But we are really excited and super appreciate you guys giving us the run down.

This article is warning people against having the entire group attempt to get a boarding group because it might cause glitches. This seems to be against the other recommendations I have seen, at least for WDW. Is this true? Or a DL v WDW thing? Or is the author possibly attributing glitches from other sources to a group attempt? Something else?

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/article/star-wars-ride-boarding-group-pass-wait-line-15044867.php
They based that on this: “We saw tons of people around us receive error messages doing this and suspect the app gets confused when the same party attempts multiple simultaneous entries.”

I think they’re wrong.

They based that on this: “We saw tons of people around us receive error messages doing this and suspect the app gets confused when the same party attempts multiple simultaneous entries.”

I think they’re wrong.
After reading this tread for weeks I to think this reporter is wrong. We have played along at home like many others and never have we got an error message. I guess we will find out next week !!!

I have also found the advertising to be very misleading. Not cool Disney!

Every person I have spoken to regarding riding this ride is completely clueless about what it takes to actually ride it.
Same! Last week I was talking to a co-worker who is going to DLR soon and she was completely unaware of the BG procedure for RotR. In fact, she looked at me quite skeptically when I explained it to her. I tried to reiterate that they need to get there much earlier than she planned, but it didn't seem to register with her :sad2:

Same! Last week I was talking to a co-worker who is going to DLR soon and she was completely unaware of the BG procedure for RotR. In fact, she looked at me quite skeptically when I explained it to her. I tried to reiterate that they need to get there much earlier than she planned, but it didn't seem to register with her :sad2:

I have a co-worker like that too. She works remote so I chatted with her and told her to open the app and I would walk her through it. She kept saying, can't i just book it from the car when I am on my way there. The idea of having to be scanned into the park before opening to get a boarding group just puzzled her. And they have APs!

Don't think too slow today - wait times look pretty normal.

In other news: Gremlins reported early today: stuck at 68 for a bit.
You must have some BLESSED days at the park if 10 minutes for Incredicoaster, 65 minutes for RSR, and 40 minutes for Indiana Jones look “pretty normal” for mid-afternoon! 😂

Wait times are way low. Like. Waaaaay low.

Also just saw a friend whose IG stories are panning around the “light crowds” and showing her daughter running around a largely deserted Adventureland.

You must have some BLESSED days at the park if 10 minutes for Incredicoaster, 65 minutes for RSR, and 40 minutes for Indiana Jones look “pretty normal” for mid-afternoon! 😂

Wait times are way low. Like. Waaaaay low.

Also just saw a friend whose IG stories are panning around the “light crowds” and showing her daughter running around a largely deserted Adventureland.
I think I've waited an hour in the FP line at RSR 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter