Riddle Me This Scenario

TheBigErn

DIS Veteran
You fly in to MCO the day before your cruise. You stay overnight at a Disney resort. Next day you take a car service to the DCL terminal for your DCL cruise. Then someone in your group tests positive at the terminal and now your group can't embark. You have travel insurance. What happens next logistically? Your flight home isn't booked until after the cruise. You have no place to stay. You have no transportation from the terminal (though I think Disney will get you to the airport). Please no responses that involve quarantining somewhere.

Sorry but there will more then likely be quarantining. Disney probably has to report it. Disney should have plans in place to transport you to one of their hotels where you can stay paid for by your trip insurance and testing before your return flight home. Only way I can think not quarantining is if you can drive yourself home but not possibly for many.

You can book a hotel stay for the duration, or rent a car to drive home. Your insurance covers the expenses. I would probably get a hotel room and re-test as confirmation, then decide how to proceed. If those options don’t sit well with you, I believe DCL is allowing cancellations through tomorrow (9/3).

I’m curious why DCL passengers are so “what if…” about this when the other cruise lines have been requiring testing at embarkation for a couple months now. Has anyone read or know of passengers getting turned away from those cruises due to positive tests?

In terms of money spent and possibly recouped, the scenario is going to play out differently depending on what kind of travel insurance was bought. If it was a comprehensive plan with CFAR or COVID protections you'll be getting a full refund for the entire cost of the trip and all cancellation fees for later hotel or airfare will be voided or paid for with the refund money like a deductible. With DCL's insurance only the cruise is covered unless you purchased airfare through them so you'll get a refund for that but will have to pay cancellation fees on any unused hotel stays or airfare bought elsewhere..

For me, the "what if..." is because I haven't been paying super close attention to what other cruise lines have been doing with their embarkation testing. I would love to know what the protocol is for passengers who are denied boarding due to positive test results. I do have travel insurance, but I bought the type without COVID coverage because we're fully vaccinated. I'd really like it if Disney would step up and let us know fully what happens if there's a positive result at the port.

For me, the "what if..." is because I haven't been paying super close attention to what other cruise lines have been doing with their embarkation testing. I would love to know what the protocol is for passengers who are denied boarding due to positive test results. I do have travel insurance, but I bought the type without COVID coverage because we're fully vaccinated. I'd really like it if Disney would step up and let us know fully what happens if there's a positive result at the port.
Exactly.

You fly in to MCO the day before your cruise. You stay overnight at a Disney resort. Next day you take a car service to the DCL terminal for your DCL cruise. Then someone in your group tests positive at the terminal and now your group can't embark. You have travel insurance. What happens next logistically? Your flight home isn't booked until after the cruise. You have no place to stay. You have no transportation from the terminal (though I think Disney will get you to the airport). Please no responses that involve quarantining somewhere.
This is exactly why I will not be cruising or traveling out of the country until testing requirements are no longer needed. With 5 kids, I'm not risking my vacation for the chance of an asymptomatic infection and a positive test within my travel party.

I thought quarantine was mandatory when you tested positive...?

For the others (if the party can be split) ... Trip interruption insurance? (Although most of them probably would not cover COVID)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter