• 50 or younger

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • 51-60

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • 61-70

Votes: 36 31.9%
  • 71 or older

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other / I haven't retired yet (why are you answering? ;) )

Votes: 18 15.9%

• Total voters
I “retired” 23 years ago when youngest son was born. Just never went back. DH is 58 and we are having the retirement discussion. He isn’t quite ready to give up the stability of a salary and benefits just yet with the state of the economy. We are thinking 2 or 3 more years. We will actually bring in more money retired than now, so paying for health insurance for a few years should be doable.

I “retired” when DD20 came along. DH retired around 50yo. After that he did work for his father for a while before fully retiring.

Even though we are both home, we have a ton of work to do here. The horses occupy approximately three hours of our day every day, and that’s just our chores. DD15 also has horse chores. Add to that regular stuff (laundry, etc), cooking, cleaning, etc. We don’t sit down all day long.

Hubs retired at 72 and I just retired at 66…

Well, I quit working when I had my 3rd child (in my 40s). But I had enough time in at the company retirement plan so that, when I reached 64, I became "retired".

Last edited:

My plan is to retire when I am eligible for full retirement benefits at 57.

My father, who was 81, worked until he died last month because he loved what he did.

DH plans to work to 70 in 5 years and I will retire at 65 in 6 years unless one of kids gets married and needs a babysitter.

We enjoy our jobs, own multiple homes where we, and like nice vacations so don’t mind working to be able to splurge. We are work hard play hard people and don‘t feel like we are ””old” enough to retire.

Last edited:
I retired in 2016 from teaching at the age of 51. I still work almost full time as a substitute. I’m limited to how many days I can work each year but I max out every year. I finally feel like I can get ahead financially.

DH retired at 60 and hasn't looked back. I could have retired with him, but at 52 I wasn't ready. Kept saying I'd retire at 60 and when 60 hit I still wasn't ready. I've decided not to have a number in mind anymore. I'll know when I'm ready. I will say that I have a lot of PTO and have the ability to take unpaid time, so that has factored into my decision to keep working. I also have a great boss and enjoy what I do.

DH retired last year at 63. He has loved every minute so far. I'll be eligible to retire in two years at 55. At the moment, I'm seriously thinking about it. Thanks to DH's military retirement, medical insurance isn't a worry for us.

I retired early at 56 because of the time required to help my elderly parents. Now I work part time per diem (anywhere between twice a month and three times a week, depending on their needs and my availability.) I've been doing that for 5 years now. I'm contemplating retiring fully at 62 now that DH has also retired early, but waiting to see how all the numbers work out since he retired so recently.

I would totally recommend some kind of per diem work. DH keeps talking about finding something "part time" and I keep telling him please no! If you have to work a regular schedule you might as well still work. Try to find something "substitute" or "per diem" where you can choose to work or not. That way you can take extended time when needed or wanted. He prefers a schedule and keeps thinking working one or two regularly scheduled days a week would be great, but we'd never get to go out of town! DH is younger than me and also retired at 56, so he is definitely interested in doing something. (He just doesn't want my advice! He loves pressure washing so I keep suggesting starting a side gig where he can say yes or no to jobs., but he's not biting.)
If you don’t mind sharing, where do you work per diem? Other than healthcare and substitute teaching, it seems like it would be difficult to find this type of work. But it sounds great!

My husband is planning on retiring at 55 or 56 (so another 9-10yrs). I've been a SAHM for the past 15 years but our youngest starts high school this fall so I might try and find a part time job. The 'extra' money would be nice but really it's just for something to do. I have no desire to go back to full time and our financial situation is such that I don't 'have' to work. So if I do find something part time I'll probably do it until he retires.

If you don’t mind sharing, where do you work per diem? Other than healthcare and substitute teaching, it seems like it would be difficult to find this type of work. But it sounds great!
Not hard here at all in many industries. It's a way for a company to bring in staff as they need them without having to guarantee them so many hours a week as a part timer and without having to pay benefits.
That's basically what temporary agencies to, for a fee. They match companies that need help in a specific area for a day, or a week or for a medical leave with people with the skills necessary.
Just depends what your skills are.
I worked for over a year on a per diem basis because my employer needed help and had money to pay for it, but corporate would not authorize it as a permanent position because that would force corporate to pay sick leave, vacation and offer health benefits. In my case, I never worked less than 40 hours in a week, and had first dibs on any overtime shifts.

I retired at age 55 after 30 years at a consulting firm. I’m 72 now. I was an owner and had vesting stock options so it was perfect timing. I haven’t regretted one minute of one day. My husband is a lawyer and kept working until just recently so it was not a financial hardship. I still see my old work friends some of whom are my besties. My husband makes his own schedule so we have been able to travel extensively. And I’ve been sbje to do exactly what I want….volunteer, try different hobbies; take up tennis, paddle tennis, Pickkeball, Pilates, etc. I feel very blessed.

I am eligible for to retire at 57 and I will definitely go at 57, unless I am offered a early retirement (which I would be eligible for in 3 years) I would take it and get a job I truly enjoyed.

I am blessed to be able to take my health insurance as part of my retirement. We pay a pretty high premium but at this point I have been paying it for 22 years so I am prepared to pay the same in retirement. Just thankful I can take it with me.

I retired when I was 61 when another healthcare com took over the hospital. I worked at. I got a nice severance package and then since they put me down as job elimination instead of retirement I could then unemployment. I did go on Obama care until I was old enough for Medicare which was about 3 years not the best insurance but at least it was something. I did go back as pool at the hospital so I basically fill in holes in the schedule or sick calls. I do have to watch how much I make so I don’t go over the social security limit but it’s nice working on my terms

My work offered an early retirement package. I qualified, and after much thought (my dh wanted me to make the choice alone), I took it. I miss my work, but I absolutely do not regret it. It gave me the opportunity to be home and raise my child without working opposite schedules between myself and dh.

Besides being an Uber to dd ;), I do volunteer work and sell on eBay as a small side gig. eBay doesn't bring in a ton of money, but it adds to our vacation funds.:thumbsup2

If you put yourself out there and try new things you won't be bored. My sister retired as well and has 100% completely and utterly fallen in love with pickle ball. :confused3 For someone who wasn't into sports or athletics it is amazing to see her really love a sport. I only share that because it has given me food for thought on what hobbies I can take up when we become empty nesters.

Unexpectedly sold my business in my 50’s. Still looking for something else to do with my time as I near traditional retirement age.

I retired 9 months ago when I turned 65 & qualified for Medicare. I worked 44+ years as an RN in an inner city teaching hospital & my body feels every one of those years. I worked part time 12 hour shifts the last 10 years. But I also spent a lot of days helping care for my mom. She passed away about 6 weeks after I retired. I’m thankful I was able to spend those last weeks with her without being exhausted from work too. I’m still finding my retirement routine. I have no regrets, I’m not bored & believe me I was so happy I didn’t have to worry about getting to work & home when we had our Christmas week blizzard last month.

My DH managed a large food production plant & retired just after he turned 65 in 2021. He worked 55 + hours most weeks & had tremendous stress. His health was definitely beginning to be effected by the hours & stress. His boss did offer him a “write his own ticket” consulting position. He decided to accept that & has been working 2 days a week, usually just 8 hour days. He’s been doing that for just shy of 2 years & has enjoyed it. Now that I am retired & no longer have obligations with caring for my mom, we’re starting to rethink that part time work. It’s his decision, but it does get annoying sometimes knowing he has that commitment. His boss knows he probably won’t be doing it much longer, but DH has promised he’ll give him about a month’s notice when he‘s ready to stop. I think by the summer he’ll be done. Looking forward to enjoying relaxing & finding little things to keep us busy. DD & her boyfriend are talking marriage, so we may just have some wedding planning to occupy us.

I’m thinking about retiring when we’re in our 50s. The biggest concern is healthcare. Dh owns a business and my company doesn’t provide retirees with health insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter