Restricted (*VGT) Bookings and Covid Cancellation Policy

closetmickey

DIS Veteran
Do restricted (*VGT) bookings fall under the 14 day covid cancellation policy? We are booked for January 7th so just clarifying our options. Thank you.

Thanks for this info. We are thinking of doing a OGT or Vgt and wanted to see if the policy is included in the restricted fares.

As long as the temporary “Flexible Refund” policy remains in effect, yes it covers *GT reservations (guarantee with restrictions). However that policy is the only temp policy without a stated end date, so depending on how soon is the cruise it may or may not still be in effect. Just putting that out there so anyone booking now doesn’t automatically expect that policy will always roll forward.

As long as the temporary “Flexible Refund” policy remains in effect, yes it covers *GT reservations (guarantee with restrictions). However that policy is the only temp policy without a stated end date, so depending on how soon is the cruise it may or may not still be in effect. Just putting that out there so anyone booking now doesn’t automatically expect that policy will always roll forward.

thanks for the info. We are thinking of grabbing the early September one. My daughter has a room, but crunching the numbers she could do 2 cabins for the same price. sharing a cabin with a 17 and 15 year old teens is not fun. It’s just a gamble that the 2 rooms will be near. So far after 4 Vgt bookings, we’ve always gotten side by side. But no guarantee is a risk.

thanks for the info. We are thinking of grabbing the early September one. My daughter has a room, but crunching the numbers she could do 2 cabins for the same price. sharing a cabin with a 17 and 15 year old teens is not fun. It’s just a gamble that the 2 rooms will be near. So far after 4 Vgt bookings, we’ve always gotten side by side. But no guarantee is a risk.
FWIW, we booked 2 VGT cabins for our Norway cruise in Sept 2019. Our kids were 22 & 19 at the time and we could have booked them in their own cabin but our TA suggested to book with dh in one cabin, and me in the other, and it would increase the odds that our rooms connect. We had a great location, deck 6 midship, and could open the balcony divider to create one huge balcony. It was really nice.

We are booked for a 4-nt in September, our PIF date is not until July, and already they released VGT rates that are much cheaper than our OBB discount. We have a great aft cabin reserved, but the $600 savings is tempting. I think I'd rather book closer to the sail date if I need to accept the limitations of a VGT though.

DCL website should make it abundantly clear that the non-refundable policy of VGT/OGT/IGT does not override the 14-day cancellation for covid policy. People ask this so often (rightly, they should) and I'd guess DCL gets plenty of phone calls asking this same question. Maybe if their website gave a better explanation, fewer people would need to call in for simple questions, and it could reduce the crazy long hold times people are experiencing on the phone.

FWIW, we booked 2 VGT cabins for our Norway cruise in Sept 2019. Our kids were 22 & 19 at the time and we could have booked them in their own cabin but our TA suggested to book with dh in one cabin, and me in the other, and it would increase the odds that our rooms connect. We had a great location, deck 6 midship, and could open the balcony divider to create one huge balcony. It was really nice.

We are booked for a 4-nt in September, our PIF date is not until July, and already they released VGT rates that are much cheaper than our OBB discount. We have a great aft cabin reserved, but the $600 savings is tempting. I think I'd rather book closer to the sail date if I need to accept the limitations of a VGT though.

DCL website should make it abundantly clear that the non-refundable policy of VGT/OGT/IGT does not override the 14-day cancellation for covid policy. People ask this so often (rightly, they should) and I'd guess DCL gets plenty of phone calls asking this same question. Maybe if their website gave a better explanation, fewer people would need to call in for simple questions, and it could reduce the crazy long hold times people are experiencing on the phone.

very good points. Esp. The one about dcl not addressing the non-refundable fare being part of the covid rule. Yes we plan to do a parent in each Cabin, because I think you have to be 18 to be a lead. I’m like you, I have the fantasy aft 4E and while I could save money, I’m not willing to give up the extended veranda. Only my daughter wants twice the size for the same price. She did do 8B once and was ok with it, but the girls are so messy.

very good points. Esp. The one about dcl not addressing the non-refundable fare being part of the covid rule. Yes we plan to do a parent in each Cabin, because I think you have to be 18 to be a lead. I’m like you, I have the fantasy aft 4E and while I could save money, I’m not willing to give up the extended veranda. Only my daughter wants twice the size for the same price. She did do 8B once and was ok with it, but the girls are so messy.
Once kids reach their teen years, their clothing is no longer tiny. The days of rolling up little shorts size 3T, fitting 5 in one small drawer are long gone. Teens, esp girls, tend to spend more time in the bathroom, more time getting ready, and bring more stuff in general. It's nice having 2 bathrooms, 2 closets, & 2 TVs also.

We will probably switch to the VGT but I'm not rushing into it. Due to so many restrictions with the VGT, I like to book those around 2-4 weeks before sailing. I'll make a decision before the PIF date.

I caved in and booked the VGT for Sept 12 on the Dream. I just couldn't pass up that cheap price. Also, I could use some additional Chase UR points to book our flights so this will help. I'm in the process of gifting my niece a trip for her family of 4 to Universal Studios. She is a caregiver for my elderly father and this situation is a strain on her children and marriage. I'm so grateful for all that she does, and they deserve some big time fun. Anyway, I'm hemorrhaging points lately and PIF will give a little boost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter