• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Restricted points a pain when owning RIV?

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I currently own points at RIV direct but need more points. I was wanting to buy AKV direct when they were $186 but now that they are $200, that option seems silly. So I had written off owning AKV at all as it seems like it would be a pain being a RIV owner but now I’m back to kind of wanting some AKV points and am reconsidering resale. Are there any RIV owners out there who can speak to whether having restricted resale points are a big hassle with a RIV contract? I understand I won’t be able to book RIV with my AKV points. I’m not sure how much this would bug me down the road. I do love staying at RIV but also enjoy RIV and some other original resorts.

Thanks!

I had restricted BLT thinking it wouldn’t be a big deal since I had enough to book RIV.

I sold that less than a year later, it was annoying since we stay at RIV a lot, Id want to book something that showed up and realized that I didn’t have the right points,

Or, it was tricky trying to figure out how to maximize the points at 7 months because I could not just use all I had for the RIV nights.

For example, I messed up trying to switch dates for a trip. I ended up with a PV room because I had to use my other membership since I didn’t end up having a enough points to book the night on my UY with the restricted points.

Now, everything I own is good every year and it’s been nicer and easier.

Dislike it a little at times when I just want to book RIV and only have the other points left.

It depends if you really want a shot at those value and club level rooms.

We have Beach Club points that we can't use at the Riv, but the plan is to only use those for Beach Club. I could see where it could get so my if you are running low on your Riviera points.

I would buy resale AKV - I regret not buying there ten years ago - the three bed grand villa there is one of the best imo. I think RIV direct and the direction of the new DVC, will not hold the resale value some veterans, myself included, have seen. The best direct buy right now is VGF. I really like RIV and wish I bought during the covid sale, but i did not. I have a mix of resale and direct points, all of which are grandfathered. I will buy RIV resale if I see one in the price point I want, if not, then I will not buy there. But that is just me.

I'd think that being a RIV owner would make restricted resale less annoying. How often do you expect to book at RIV at 7 months or closer in? That's the only time it would get complicated. You'd typically book RIV during the home-resort booking period, so your other contract wouldn't be valid anyway. I imagine you want to own AKV so you can stay there, so it doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal to me.

I'd think that being a RIV owner would make restricted resale less annoying. How often do you expect to book at RIV at 7 months or closer in? That's the only time it would get complicated. You'd typically book RIV during the home-resort booking period, so your other contract wouldn't be valid anyway. I imagine you want to own AKV so you can stay there, so it doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal to me.

When I bought BLT resale, it came with 100 banked points and I was going to use them for a trip. I had secured the trip, not at RIV...and all of a sudden, 3 nights popped up there, got excited and realized that I couldn't take them.

I then had to adjust dates from what I booked at 11 months for end of March, within the 7 month mark and because of the way I had points left, I couldn't snag the RIV nights on my Dec UY membership, because what I had left was partially BLT restricted points. I ended up having to use my Aug UY points instead...which meant traveling at the end of the UY.

Now, I had banked BLT points just sitting there. So, because we like to go to RIV, it was just more complicated. It didn't work for us. Now, everything I own can be used everywhere so it doesn't matter and it will be much easier to not have stray points. I have actually found using RIV resale easier than having BLT points not good there.

But, if RIV isn't a top choice, then it could work.

Thank you all for your input! We like staying at riv best and mostly want more points so we can stay in larger rooms. We usually do a split stay though which is why I was thinking AKV might be good as I would love the opportunity to book value or club level. I know these rooms are beyond competitive though so maybe buying for this reason is not smart.

I know VGF direct is the smart move from a resale value perspective but I’m worried I won’t like the new studios and have two little boys so I’m not sure if once they are teenagers the single shower will work… I love being on the grand Floridian grounds though so I want to want to buy there. Also, not getting the bonus points at VGF sways me back towards RIV…

Thank you all for your input! We like staying at riv best and mostly want more points so we can stay in larger rooms. We usually do a split stay though which is why I was thinking AKV might be good as I would love the opportunity to book value or club level. I know these rooms are beyond competitive though so maybe buying for this reason is not smart.

I know VGF direct is the smart move from a resale value perspective but I’m worried I won’t like the new studios and have two little boys so I’m not sure if once they are teenagers the single shower will work… I love being on the grand Floridian grounds though so I want to want to buy there. Also, not getting the bonus points at VGF sways me back towards RIV…

That example of upgrading is why I didn’t want it anymore. Even with split stays…it doesn’t play nice when you can’t just combine.

For example, if you have 200 AKV and 200 RIV and then at 7 months, need 225 to book RIVs larger room, you have to borrow because you can’t use AKV.

That gives you even less points the following year to use at RIV for home resort booking.

Heartily agree with Sandisw that avoiding the bank-borrow tangle is by far preferable.

We bought minimum upon buying in. Had to add a 25pt. contract a few years later to keep booking a 1br every other year. Then, dropped back to a studio annually--right before DVD jerked points around and put us at too few for a studio even.

Tinkering with the whole bank-borrow thing is doable, of course, but gets to be annoying very quickly. Buy to avoid needing to do that if you possibly can.

Own RIV direct and SSR resale. I'll add that it is a pain when you want to add more RIV days to your trip but our limited too those direct points. Our RIV direct points have effectively become restricted points because we try and use them solely for RIV given the restriction on our resale points. I'm sure that will change as new resorts come online (and if there's no change to resale restrictions).

To answer your question, I think it really depends on how you plan to vacation but it should be manageable for the most part although you'll sacrifice some flexibility. Banking/borrowing will come into play if you want to stay at RIV the whole time. We'd like to have longer stays at RIV and less split stays, so much so that we're tempted to sell our SSR resale for more RIV direct to have more unrestricted points.

Is the AKV points so you can try for the club or value room categories? There's usually good 7 month availability for the other room types.

If you want to keep them separate, like for split stays, then just get a new UY. Then you get four waitlists and book RIV with RIV and not-RIV with not-RIV. I have two UYs and once you figure out the websites, this works well for me.

If you want to keep them separate, like for split stays, then just get a new UY. Then you get four waitlists and book RIV with RIV and not-RIV with not-RIV. I have two UYs and once you figure out the websites, this works well for me.
I have been tempted to get a second UY because we typically travel in September but our UY is October. Does it get confusing with the multiple waitlists on multiple contracts?

Yep
Own RIV direct and SSR resale. I'll add that it is a pain when you want to add more RIV days to your trip but our limited too those direct points. Our RIV direct points have effectively become restricted points because we try and use them solely for RIV given the restriction on our resale points. I'm sure that will change as new resorts come online (and if there's no change to resale restrictions).

To answer your question, I think it really depends on how you plan to vacation but it should be manageable for the most part although you'll sacrifice some flexibility. Banking/borrowing will come into play if you want to stay at RIV the whole time. We'd like to have longer stays at RIV and less split stays, so much so that we're tempted to sell our SSR resale for more RIV direct to have more unrestricted points.

Is the AKV points so you can try for the club or value room categories? There's usually good 7 month availability for the other room types.

Yep. I pretty much want a shot at the value and club rooms.

I have been tempted to get a second UY because we typically travel in September but our UY is October. Does it get confusing with the multiple waitlists on multiple contracts?
Sounds like it wouldn't be for you, because you'd use RIV points for RIV bookings. I don't think it's too hard to keep up with. I have opposite UYs, which I pretty much use for the opposite season travel.

I have three UYs and it’s manageable because I never mix points between them. 475 in Aug UY, 275 in Dec and 150 in June.

Dec is RIV resale and VGF, Aug is RIV direct and SSR resale but grandfathered for us every where and June is just VGF.

But, as i said, because we have other points to use with RIV, I don’t ever have to borrow them so my home resort bookings are not impacted.

Now Sept isn’t the best travel for and Oct UY so another would be nice. It may be easier to have restricted points this way.

We don’t have need the multiple waitlists because of how we book and because our RIV points are with other points.

It’s a tough call but as I said, since RIV is our top resort, I didn’t want to be forced to borrow them when I had the points but they just couldn’t be used.

I think Disney wrote the rules for the propose of making resale a pain. To me ot looks like they got it to the point where resale and Riviera just don’t mix, unless you only want to stay at RR with RR point and are willing to always book early.

I own all direct point works fine.

I thinks that’s what DVC DVD wanted.

I think Disney wrote the rules for the propose of making resale a pain. To me ot looks like they got it to the point where resale and Riviera just don’t mix, unless you only want to stay at RR with RR point and are willing to always book early.

I own all direct point works fine.

I thinks that’s what DVC DVD wanted.

Exactly. They want the two products to be different so that buyers decide that spending more to buy from them offers them something they can’t get resale.

Right now, it is just RIV but it could very well be VDH and Poly tower within the next two years.

There is a reason they have not confirmed restrictions or no restrictions for those projects. As long as it’s unknown, they can promote it’s a possibility.

As someone who loves RIV, the only resale points I will ever buy are RIV..because I won’t have any trouble using them given how many times we stay there.

But more likely, any adding on in the future will continue to be direct. I will add at Poly tower if it is a new association. Won’t if it is rolled into PVB.

I agree, the mouse wants to control his sand box.

However, personally, I have always purchased direct, because it is just so much easier and I don’t ever have to worry about restrictions.

If I were to ever buy resale points, it would be because the wife told me to, and at the resort I (she) wants to use them at…..

They would be the first points used and booked 11 months to the day in advance….

But again the hassle of ROFR, unethical brokers, etc.

I might just pay the extra and buy direct anyway!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter