Rescheduling trip due to toddler tantrums??

DD began tantrums at 17 months, such a different child! Our 4 trips before this age were really easy....the one right before turning 17 months a bit challenging, bit the 20 month old trip last month wasn't too bad. She still throws fits at home, but was great at Disney......I think it's all of the things to see/ do. My DS who is now 10 was great at 2, bit oh gosh 3 was horrible. We took him to Disney at 2, then at 3 also after the tantrums hit.....very similar to my DD...he was much better at Disney.
You need to do what you feel works best for you. If you are that stressed, your toddler might sense it.....that may effect his mood too. If you can go in with a laid back, go with the flow mental state......meaning being okay if we only get a few rides done a day, it probably will be fine. If you have a schedule that you * want* to stick to to get a lot done....maybe delaying is better. For us being laid back( go with the flow) based off of DD1 needs has worked well. Whenever you make the trip, I hope you have a magical time!

I would wait, unless for some reason you wouldn't be able to go at a later time. Kids at that young age can easily be overstimulated and fatigued, which leads to meltdowns in the best of circumstances. Would you take your child to a local theme park, day after day for a week?We first went when my son was five. He was extra sensitive when tired ( still is!) and my gauge was we were not spending thousands of dollars to take him to WDW when he was perfectly happy riding an escalator.

Last edited:
With this one I do wonder if it will only get worse? I am so on the fence and final payment is due shortly!
each age comes with different hard behavior. most of my grandkids had a tougher time not tantrums at around age 3. we never had any luck with room naps as they fell asleep on the way there and wouldn't go back to sleep. after middle of first day all were glad to have the stroller even the nonstroller ones. just too much walking. biggest thing I have learned with toddlers is let them make choices but have the choice be your choices. example do you want P&J or nuggets for lunch not what do you want for lunch. or do you want to walk holding my hand or ride in stroller? if behavior gets so bad that you say we are going to the room make sure you follow thru and go to the room. child only gets to choose from what you want to do but they don't know that

Kids will be kids, take the trip and make sure you have a stroller.

If he/she kicks off just strap them into the stroller and walk around ignoring it until they stop.

No need to be embarrassed about your child having a tantrum, as long as you keep them contained, most people there will have had a 2 year old themselves and will know the feeling.

My daughter started tantrums at 18 months. By age two, it was over. Those six months were really hard.

I was lucky that most of it happened at home, and I was able to ignore it. The goal was to not feed into it and keep her safe.

The only time it happened in public, we were at the grocery store and I had a cart full of groceries. She wanted another box of cookies, and I said no. She screamed and flipped out. I picked her up, grabbed my purse and walked out of the store leaving the groceries behind. I didn’t say a word. I put her in her car seat and we drove home. She was shocked. She didn’t make a sound.

She never did it in public again.

My advice is to provide a lot of structure. Don’t break promises. Don’t give in. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Stick to routines, bedtime and schedule. Don’t give attention to the tantrums. Just keep your child safe.

We chose to wait to take our daughter to WDW until she was 6. At 2, we did beach vacations that weren’t overstimulating. She ran on the beach and played in the water. She napped well and slept like a rock at night.

Well SAid!!!! We didn't take ours til they were 5 and 7, and it was a breeze. No stress. I think you hit the nail on the head mentioning the extra stimulation that comes at you all the time! It is alot for an adult to take, let alone a 2 year old who has NO defense capabilities for all this constant stimulation. That's the number one reason I would wait, but it's up to you. Each situation is different, and some children handle it better than others (and some parents:)

My DD's first trip was at 3.5. She wasn't a big tantrum thrower, but she was terribly willful, hyper, and headstrong. I just didn't take her many places where she could meltdown (I was lucky that her grandparents lived nearby so I always had that).

Well, Disney absolutely humbled her. This was a kid who pretty much refused a stroller. Well, due to the Florida heat and being out all day, it was a first but she loved that stroller at Disney.

The only time things went wrong was when we decided to to that "midday-leave-the-park-for-a-nap-thing." That was a huge mistake. First, she dozed a bit on the way back to the room, then caught sight of the pool. We went to the room, she laid down, I rubbed her back and this went on for about 2 hours with "I wanna go to the pool, I wanna go to the pool...on and on." Never tried that again. She konked out when she needed to either in her stroller in a shady spot or at a restaurant in the AC. We also had a rental car so we got in that one day and drove around for an hour or so.

Otherwise, not many issues and she could be a troublesome one.

Last edited:
I say keep that vacation set as it is. Don't let your kid keep you from doing things. Keep this in mind should your child have a tantrum while at WDW... you are amongst SO MANY parents who understand! Don't let yourself get stressed by it, because those around you get it and won't judge you for it. It happens. That said, if a melt down occurs in a restaurant and does not stop, have the courtesy to step outside with your little one until he chills. :)

My first 2 kids were relatively easy. I currently have a 2 year old, my 3rd child, who has been difficult since the day he was born. Went from colic straight to being an exhausting challenge every single day. When discussing vacations, I told my husband that I wanted to return to Disney for our big vacation this year because at this age/challenges, I knew it would be comfortable for us there. :)

Things that have worked for us in the past, that might work for you:
  1. Taking a break, don't go from open to close. We are rope droppers, so an afternoon break is crucial for us, whether it is to go back to the hotel to just rest or to swim. Even if you are not rope droppers, a break is important to avoid over stimulation. As others have mentioned, the break could simply be some place in the shade in the park. We like to go in the morning, then take a break, and then go back out at night.
  2. Eat meals, not just snacks. We like to do sit down lunches and dinner. It is a nice reprieve from the heat and crowds. It seems to reset everyone and helps avoid being hangry (me ha ha). They often have those kid activity sheets and crayons to keep them busy.
  3. Snacks! Always have something in your purse, like fruit snacks etc. Bring water to keep him hydrated.
  4. Be flexible. I am one of those Disney planners with a spreadsheet, but I use it as a guide, and easily adjust to whatever is needed or wanted that day. You are there to have fun and make memories. If something isn't working or you find you need a break sooner rather than later, just do it and you will be happy that you did.
  5. Definitely use a stroller.
  6. If you plan to do characters, but it turns out your little one is freaked out, don't keep forcing them. Pay attention to their emotional cues to avoid a break down.
  7. Comfortable shoes and clothing. Please dress your kid comfortably and use sunscreen. I have seen parents dress their kids up in dress up high heels and clothing that are way too hot, just to look cute (The heel thing really ticked me off because that poor child looked so pitiful and uncomfortable walking around MK in blister inducing shoes). I've also seen a lot of sunburned kids. I think being comfortable is important to help avoid breakdowns.
  8. I bet your little one would love the splash zone areas, like at MK the Casey Splash and Soak area. If it is really hot, you could plan a break there and get cooled down. Just remember to bring a change of clothes.
  9. Make sure you take time to do whatever makes you happy too. Parents always put their kids first. You have to remember to do things for yourself too, to avoid getting burned out and overwhelmed.
Good luck! You've got this! :)

I say keep that vacation set as it is. Don't let your kid keep you from doing things. Keep this in mind should your child have a tantrum while at WDW... you are amongst SO MANY parents who understand! Don't let yourself get stressed by it, because those around you get it and won't judge you for it. It happens. That said, if a melt down occurs in a restaurant and does not stop, have the courtesy to step outside with your little one until he chills. :)

My first 2 kids were relatively easy. I currently have a 2 year old, my 3rd child, who has been difficult since the day he was born. Went from colic straight to being an exhausting challenge every single day. When discussing vacations, I told my husband that I wanted to return to Disney for our big vacation this year because at this age/challenges, I knew it would be comfortable for us there. :)

Things that have worked for us in the past, that might work for you:
  1. Taking a break, don't go from open to close. We are rope droppers, so an afternoon break is crucial for us, whether it is to go back to the hotel to just rest or to swim. Even if you are not rope droppers, a break is important to avoid over stimulation. As others have mentioned, the break could simply be some place in the shade in the park. We like to go in the morning, then take a break, and then go back out at night.
  2. Eat meals, not just snacks. We like to do sit down lunches and dinner. It is a nice reprieve from the heat and crowds. It seems to reset everyone and helps avoid being hangry (me ha ha). They often have those kid activity sheets and crayons to keep them busy.
  3. Snacks! Always have something in your purse, like fruit snacks etc. Bring water to keep him hydrated.
  4. Be flexible. I am one of those Disney planners with a spreadsheet, but I use it as a guide, and easily adjust to whatever is needed or wanted that day. You are there to have fun and make memories. If something isn't working or you find you need a break sooner rather than later, just do it and you will be happy that you did.
  5. Definitely use a stroller.
  6. If you plan to do characters, but it turns out your little one is freaked out, don't keep forcing them. Pay attention to their emotional cues to avoid a break down.
  7. Comfortable shoes and clothing. Please dress your kid comfortably and use sunscreen. I have seen parents dress their kids up in dress up high heels and clothing that are way too hot, just to look cute (The heel thing really ticked me off because that poor child looked so pitiful and uncomfortable walking around MK in blister inducing shoes). I've also seen a lot of sunburned kids. I think being comfortable is important to help avoid breakdowns.
  8. I bet your little one would love the splash zone areas, like at MK the Casey Splash and Soak area. If it is really hot, you could plan a break there and get cooled down. Just remember to bring a change of clothes.
  9. Make sure you take time to do whatever makes you happy too. Parents always put their kids first. You have to remember to do things for yourself too, to avoid getting burned out and overwhelmed.
Good luck! You've got this! :)

Thank you. I truly do all of this. Our last trip I did not stress about this or that, we went really low key (I have an older child too to factor in). This child has been a challenge for sure since day one as well (unlike my first). So I appreciate the advice!!

I would wait. If this is a personality thing, it's gonna happen at WDW too, and honestly, you aren't going to enjoy your vacation. Some kids just have volatile, strong, stubborn personalities and those tantrums during the toddler ages are nothing to scoff at. The good news is, they usually outgrow them and go on to be perfectly well behaved children. However, a WDW vacation with kids is already stressful, and taking a toddler who is already known to have massive tantrums on a daily basis is just a recipe for a disastrous trip.

You hear it all the time as a parent...listen to your gut feeling. By the tone of your post, you seem to have a very strong gut feeling that this trip is not going to turn out well. Listen to that. No one else here has YOUR child, and it's easy to say "go anyway, all kids have tantrums," I have learned that not all tantrums are created equal and only you know what you are dealing with.

Honestly, I would probably just go. There is no guarantee that the temper tantrums will subside anytime soon, or that the behavior will ever get easier to manage. I know that's not what you want to hear, and may not be the case for you, but it does work out that way sometimes. My DD was always difficult to travel with. The challenges changed a little from year to year, but never really got "easier". Even now at 15yo, she is still a handful! And still has full blown meltdowns in the park sometimes, so .... Yeah. There was clearly no "waiting it out" with her.

DS, however, is and has (mostly) always been, very easy-going and easy to travel with, so it really just depends on the kid.

Just adjust your expectations accordingly, and focus on enjoying the things that do go well, not on the things that have to be scrapped because it all falls apart. Adopting that mindset the last few years has helped me make peace with the inevitable bad moments (and entire bad days) that we end up having with DD. One really good hour can make up for a lot of bad ones :)

Honestly, I would probably just go. There is no guarantee that the temper tantrums will subside anytime soon, or that the behavior will ever get easier to manage. I know that's not what you want to hear, and may not be the case for you, but it does work out that way sometimes. My DD was always difficult to travel with. The challenges changed a little from year to year, but never really got "easier". Even now at 15yo, she is still a handful! And still has full blown meltdowns in the park sometimes, so .... Yeah. There was clearly no "waiting it out" with her.

DS, however, is and has (mostly) always been, very easy-going and easy to travel with, so it really just depends on the kid.

Just adjust your expectations accordingly, and focus on enjoying the things that do go well, not on the things that have to be scrapped because it all falls apart. Adopting that mindset the last few years has helped me make peace with the inevitable bad moments (and entire bad days) that we end up having with DD. One really good hour can make up for a lot of bad ones :)

Great points, thank you. I will be honest, I don't see it changing too much as time goes on. One can hope but I don't see it....so decisions, decisions.

Great points, thank you. I will be honest, I don't see it changing too much as time goes on. One can hope but I don't see it....so decisions, decisions.
I carried my kicking and screaming 4 yr old out of line at a Spaceship Earth a few months ago. I just have learned to recognize his triggers. For him, when he is hungry it’s game on. Keep things with you to help get your through the lines like a special toy, snuggly or treats. I keep a pack of Mickey gummies, extra snacks, his favorite race car and blankie in the backpack at all times. Take breaks and remember, we’ve all been there!

Tantrums don’t last forever and you don’t know what tomorrow will bring. We enjoy family trips knowing one of our three kids will make different parts difficult. You know your child best. Trust your heart.

Our oldest is by far our rebel child with a busy never stop personality aka attitude ;) and has taught us so much about enjoying the moment, going with the flow, and standing our ground. Her Disney trips at 2/3 are by far my favorite, tantrums and all. (Favorite snacks, stroller time, and a note pad with crayons were very handy those first few trips when she needed to decompress).

It’s a nightmare...reschedule! I left restaurants in tears a few nights of our trip because I just couldn’t take it anymore. My daughter was 2 1/2. One night at cape may cafe they felt so bad for me that they allowed my husband to pack up food for me to take out from the buffet because I didn’t get to eat. Wait till at least age 4!

It’s a nightmare...reschedule! I left restaurants in tears a few nights of our trip because I just couldn’t take it anymore. My daughter was 2 1/2. One night at cape may cafe they felt so bad for me that they allowed my husband to pack up food for me to take out from the buffet because I didn’t get to eat. Wait till at least age 4!

What was it about your 2 1/2 year old you couldn't take? How do you deal with it at home?

What was it about your 2 1/2 year old you couldn't take? How do you deal with it at home?
She’s 9 now, but she just wasn’t a calm baby/toddler. She was all over the place. Some kids are content at a restaurant with an iPad and a piece of bread, but not her, she never wanted to be tied down and always wanted to run free. She kept me on my toes 24/7 and there was never any down time, and that’s where my frustration came in, because as you know we all need a break! She made me hit my breaking point many times on that trip. She wouldn’t want to stay in the stroller so I had to get her a leash in Disney, didn’t trust her. It wasn’t so much a behavioral issue, she was just an active wild child. By 4 she was SO much better. And I agree with everyone else, it’s not the terrible 2’s, it’s 3 that was the worst!

Our kids tend to tantrum when they are home and bored and tired. Always seemed better out on vacation at WDW...or anything for that matter. Every kid is different but something to consider.

I thought this could be a possibility but after some recent events, I am not sure this will apply for us.

Reschedule it for YOU and your sanity ; it should have nothing to do with your toddler's brain development. They are all obnoxious monsters at this stage. But if you don't think you can make it through the trip without being a grouchy parent who wants authoritarian responses to your demands, definitely re-schedule. If you are travelling with enough people that you can say, "Okay, Johnny needs a cold drink and a nap. You watch him while I go get on a rollercoaster," then things might be okay. But please don't charge forward into the Disney trip with expectations if you are the only adult who can manage your little one!

I've taken my DS to WDW multiple times a year since he was 1 (he is now 11) and, yeah, those early trips were a challenge. Some of my best memories were of him sleeping in his stroller as I walked around WS eating and just getting a break. He was actually easier at one than at two - at two, he became afraid of the "face" characters and any ride that was slightly dark. We just had to go with the flow and do what we could to find some enjoyment on the trip. We did hire Kids Nite Out twice on that trip so DH and I could get some dinner on our own. For us, though, we've been so many times, that a few hiccups here and there or a not-so-great trip, wasn't that big of a deal. For people who go on a once-in-a-lifetime trip or infrequent trips and are spending a lot of money and effort to go (particularly since you have another child to think about), it's a big decision! Trips DEFINITELY got easier as he got older, though, he has an anxiety disorder, so we've always had to adjust our days so he didn't get overwhelmed. He actually taught me how to slow down and "smell the roses" so to speak at Disney and find quieter things to do that were a bit off the beaten path and I'm really grateful for that. I would, perhaps, ask yourself, what is the best decision for your family overall - go for it, or postpone a little bit. And maybe come up with some contingency plans should the tantrums start - can parents take turns attending to him while the other keeps moving with your other child? Would you consider hiring Kids Nite Out for a night or two so you can have some off-time from toddler tantrums? Would you consider shorter days in the parks to keep overstimulation at bay?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter