Resale VS Direct Benefits Question

BigShot2421

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I have been pondering the DVC for a year or two. My wife and I were in Orlando last week and did a sit down at the GF with a guide.

I have also been looking at the DVC-Resales Timeshare site.

I have read you can only use your points at Disney Resorts if you purchase a resale.

My question is -
Do you still get all the discounts as a regular member such as Annual Pass Renewal Prices, Tables In Wonderland, Shopping etc?

Is there any other drawback to purchasing resale besides the ability to only use Points at Disney?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have been pondering the DVC for a year or two. My wife and I were in Orlando last week and did a sit down at the GF with a guide.

I have also been looking at the DVC-Resales Timeshare site.

I have read you can only use your points at Disney Resorts if you purchase a resale.

My question is -
Do you still get all the discounts as a regular member such as Annual Pass Renewal Prices, Tables In Wonderland, Shopping etc?

Is there any other drawback to purchasing resale besides the ability to only use Points at Disney?

Thanks!

You also can use your points for RCI and the Buena Vista Trading so not just the DVC resorts.

And yes, you still receive all the other benefits except being able to book the members cruise. As with anything the discounts and benefits are subject to change and more could happen to resale buyers but things can and do change for direct purchasers too.

...I have read you can only use your points at Disney Resorts if you purchase a resale.

My question is -

Thanks!
You can use your points at DVC resorts, but not non-DVC Disney resorts and other Disney vacations (like DCL, ABD) if you buy resale.

But those vacations require a whole lot of points.

I personally think the current resale "restrictions" are a blessing in disguise because they focus a prospective buyer's attention where it should be -- on the value of stays in DVC resorts for their family.

As Deb points out, the restricted options generally carry very high points costs. And even when those options exist, they can and will be modified, restricted etc for direct purchasers as well. For example, twice in the last few years, DCL bookings have been suspended for almost a year at a time...for direct purchasers!

Focus your attention on the real value of DVC. If it doesn't meet your needs for stays at DVC resorts, none of that other junk is going to save it.

I personally think the current resale "restrictions" are a blessing in disguise because they focus a prospective buyer's attention where it should be -- on the value of stays in DVC resorts for their family.

As Deb points out, the restricted options generally carry very high points costs. And even when those options exist, they can and will be modified, restricted etc for direct purchasers as well. For example, twice in the last few years, DCL bookings have been suspended for almost a year at a time...for direct purchasers!

Focus your attention on the real value of DVC. If it doesn't meet your needs for stays at DVC resorts, none of that other junk is going to save it.
Exactly, the current restrictions remove nothing of value from the usage or options.

What I find so interesting is that many advocates of buying direct for these options do not actually own enough points to be able to take advantage of the options. 100 or 160 points won't get your whole family on a cruise (it won't even get you on without borrowing), it will get you two, maybe three nights at a Disney hotel, and even with banking and borrowing it won't get you close to 90% of the Adventures by Disney trips. I wonder how many people truly understand the lack of value that these "perks" add based on the size of their contracts.

What I find so interesting is that many advocates of buying direct for these options do not actually own enough points to be able to take advantage of the options. 100 or 160 points won't get your whole family on a cruise (it won't even get you on without borrowing), it will get you two, maybe three nights at a Disney hotel, and even with banking and borrowing it won't get you close to 90% of the Adventures by Disney trips. I wonder how many people truly understand the lack of value that these "perks" add based on the size of their contracts.

Very True - with the initial DVC purchase there are no worries about matching UY, a specific venue or point total (except what you can afford OOP) and no prior experience with buying direct. It will be the best time to buy re-sale. :flower3:

Yet when we took another family to meet our guide a year ago, he was pitching to them how they could use their points for ABD and I could see stars in their eyes. Sounded SO exotic.

I took my friend aside and explained how it wasn't going to work for them with a family with 4 kids. While I was at it I also pointed out the sales pitch about using DVC points to exchange for, what was the number, something like 500 other timeshares, was pie in the sky.

So while technically true, the sales guys only tell customers what they want them to hear, just as sales guys in any business do. It's up to the customer to wade through the hype and get enough info to make a decision with as many facts as possible.

Yet when we took another family to meet our guide a year ago, he was pitching to them how they could use their points for ABD and I could see stars in their eyes. Sounded SO exotic.

I took my friend aside and explained how it wasn't going to work for them with a family with 4 kids. While I was at it I also pointed out the sales pitch about using DVC points to exchange for, what was the number, something like 500 other timeshares, was pie in the sky.

So while technically true, the sales guys only tell customers what they want them to hear, just as sales guys in any business do. It's up to the customer to wade through the hype and get enough info to make a decision with as many facts as possible.

Gee, we could all go on the Ecuador trip and use 1033 points per adult.

One of the advantages of having DVC points is the demand it fetches on the open market. Its relatively easy at this time to rent out points to a broker and get cash to apply to other vacations (such as a cruise).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter