Renting a house from VRBO?

terribm

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience renting a house from VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner)? The house I am looking at is in Davenport and according to mapquest, it is about a 20 min drive to the World. It is a 4 BR house with a private pool. I guess the reason I am a little suspicious is that it is renting for $350 for a week in the fall. Doen't that seem really cheap? :confused3 I am trying but for the life of me, I can't find any downside. This is our first try at renting a house, we typically stay onsite. Any advice or insight would be great.

Terri

I have rented over 12 properties (houses and condos) in the continental US and Hawaii from VRBO and have yet to have any trouble from any of the individual owners or with the properties in general. IMO, the price you quoted does seem extremely low. You should confirm it with the renter (sounds more like a per day than per week).

Possible reasons for low price:
If it's a new owner unfamiliar with potential, or trying to build clientel.

Fall is known to have over abundance of housing in Orlando in the timeshare world, so I'm sure it's the same in the house rental industry also. They may figure something is better than nothing based on past history.

Furthur distance means compromise on price. If you're not spending every day at the parks, or if it's closer to Universal and that's where you're headed, then definitely a great deal.

Taxes and pool heat if desired are usually extra.
Email for confirmation if you're happy with the house! :thumbsup2

Hi, last post from Carribound is very good...this debate has gone on before...

If you could tell us which housing developement the home is in, it would give us an idea of where it is and how old the home is. Neither of these is a guarantee one way or the other, but would give and idea based on location and which developement.

Also, will probably will not include 13% tax and pool heat at 20 to 25 dollars/day...

It is a good price, but I have rented a 1800/week 7 bedroom for 700 on a last minute basis.....$$$ is $$$ when you have to pay the bills.

Ted

Hi Terri,
Yes,do confirm total price,including taxes and end of stay clean..because $700 is usually the very minimum for 4 bed.
I believe there are deals but you also get what you pay for - so dont always go for the cheapest -unless of course,you have the attitude "as long as there are clean beds,Im happy"..then go for it,you've got a bargain!!!!

Enjoy your holiday,
lynn

I would look for something closer!!!

After a long day at the park you wont like a ride far home...

Just my point

Cyberrentals.com is a good one too

We recently rented a house in Las Vegas. While the house was nice we did have a few problems. The hot tub heater was not working and the direct tv did not work. We did get the tv working but the hot tub was not fixed during our stay. This was the first time we rented a house. A condo or hotel has a 24 hour staff to fix such problems. When you rent a house you don't have a staff to fix problems on the weekends or in the evenings.

I got a quote for a villa that seemed cheap and I double checked with owner,
happens that the price they quoted me was not in U.S. currency but in UK currency. Alot of people from the UK own houses that they rent so be careful and ask if in US currency. They are not trying to false advertise price,
just that alot of thier customers are also from UK.

I think time to get to parks is personal preference. We're currently planning to go to the parks 3 days. If I could spend $300 instead of $1500 just by driving an extra 10 minutes, I'd do it! Fall is low season so traffic won't be a problem. I take my kids to Six Flags every year and we stay til the bitter end, then drive an hour + to get home around midnight. I wouldn't do that 3 days in a row, but the closest movie theater or shopping complex is 20 min from my house so that sounds minute to me. :moped:

Holdem--
You just eliminated one of my possible home rentals based on your experience. I'd been considering a house in Indian Creek which only has a soccer field and putting green and maybe playground for community extras. The other two contenders are in Emerald Island and Sunset Lakes. Emerald Island has lots of pictures posted but I haven't seen anything for Sunset Lakes other than saying it has a pool, playground and gazebo. Is there a large jacuzzi near the pool? That's one thing that could be easy to break down and difficult for the average maintenance to fix no matter how local and willing. After a long day at the parks I want to soak my legs! :angel:

I believe they're right next to each other, does anyone have a reason to prefer one over another? or should I start a new thread? It fits under the original heading so I don't know. It's really hard to get EVERYTHING I want in a house! Some have the floor plans with dual master suites, others have spas, others have game rooms but no spa, and others have all that but terrible decorating. Or the best decorators with the cutest kids theme rooms don't have the essential spa and games room. :sad2: Decisions decisions! Of course if I wanted to spend $2000+ for the week I could probably get it all, but we want to save something for Mickey. Otherwise we'd stay onsite with you DVCers!

holdem said:
We recently rented a house in Las Vegas. While the house was nice we did have a few problems. The hot tub heater was not working and the direct tv did not work. We did get the tv working but the hot tub was not fixed during our stay. This was the first time we rented a house. A condo or hotel has a 24 hour staff to fix such problems. When you rent a house you don't have a staff to fix problems on the weekends or in the evenings.

Not sure of the regulations in Las Vegas but in Florida you have to have an on call management company 24/7 to fix any problems that arise .

We've stayed in Davenport before. We saved about 1/2 of what we spent to stay in Emerald Island, and we didn't mind the drive. It was a quick 15-20 min. Plus the grocery stores and that are right there and less crowded. I liked the area and would not hesitate to stay there again.

Indian Creek and Sunset Lakes are relatively close to each other (within 5 min). Sunset is gated, Indian Creek is not. Sunset's houses are all around a lake. Indian Creek has massive construction around it (429) I'd say it's about 10 min to property (AK) from either.

I rented a 3br/2ba house in Santa Ana 4/06 using VRBO. The total for 3 nights was $610, which was more than they advertised in the listing, but cheaper than most other listings. Your deal for a 4 br w/pool at $350/wk seems really cheap. The house we rented was clean and smallish, and the owners, to our surprise, we living in the other side of the ranch house. So when we went out on the garden patio, they we looking directly at us thru their patio door! On top of that, I got a parking ticket for street cleaning because we had to share the driveway with them.
So a caveat for all VBRO users, check to make sure that you will not be sharing the house, unless the lack of privacy doesn't bother you! If I had to do it again, I would just find a hotel/motel close to the beaches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Vacation Rentals by Owner Listing #8928
Disneyland Vacation Rental
Location: Santa Ana, Anaheim Area, Orange County, California, USA (Disneyland 15 minutes, Newport Huntington Beaches 15 minutes)
Accommodations: House - 3 Bedrooms - 2 Baths - (Sleeps 7-10)

The Non-Smoking house is beautifully furnished as you would find in a quality Bed and Breakfast. The owners have also taken pride in the wonderful garden areas of the front and back yards. It features approximately 30 rose bushes, tropical landscaping, fruit trees, and dining patio.

2005 update! In early 2005 our vacation home was needing some tlc. So we decided to give the inside a major remodeling facelift. Result, Brand new kitchen, 2 new bathrooms, and some major upgrades!
All we ask is please have fun, but respect our hard work and $ spent. We put our heart into it for your enjoyment. Thanks

Rates (in US Dollars): Personal Currency Assistant™
Credit Cards Accepted:
Apr-Sep ................. $1175/week.
Oct-Mar ................. $975/week.
Nightly Rate ...... $150-$170/night.
Bi-Weekly & Monthly Rates Available at Discounts.
Summer Rate for Holidays

Phone: (714) 839-0221 or Miki: (714) 917-7821 (California, USA)

www.vrbo.com

We stayed in this house in June. It's also in Davenport, and we didn't mind the drive at all (it wasn't but about 20 minutes or so).

It's 4BR/3BA with a separate LR and Den and comes with a screened pool and hot tub (must have pool heat for the spa to be hot). It's not elaborately themed but was comfortable and had everything we needed. We liked that it was in a gated community (about 15 or 20 minutes to Disney - it's in Davenport).

We got it at the last minute (about 3 or 4 weeks ahead of time) for $480 a week (including tax). We used a credit card for our own protection (which added 3% if I'm not mistaken). We didn't have pool heat since it was June, so that will add to the cost, I'm sure.

Just email the owners and ask for a price. A friend of ours got a price of about $600 for Thanksgiving week (with pool heat).

sbclifton said:
www.vrbo.com

We stayed in this house in June. It's also in Davenport, and we didn't mind the drive at all (it wasn't but about 20 minutes or so).

It's 4BR/3BA with a separate LR and Den and comes with a screened pool and hot tub (must have pool heat for the spa to be hot). It's not elaborately themed but was comfortable and had everything we needed. We liked that it was in a gated community (about 15 or 20 minutes to Disney - it's in Davenport).

We got it at the last minute (about 3 or 4 weeks ahead of time) for $480 a week (including tax). We used a credit card for our own protection (which added 3% if I'm not mistaken). We didn't have pool heat since it was June, so that will add to the cost, I'm sure.

Just email the owners and ask for a price. A friend of ours got a price of about $600 for Thanksgiving week (with pool heat).

It's coming up as unavailable to book. Too bad, sounded nice....

I rented a 3br/2ba house in Santa Ana 4/06 using VRBO. The total for 3 nights was $610, which was more than they advertised in the listing, but cheaper than most other listings. Your deal for a 4 br w/pool at $350/wk seems really cheap. The house we rented was clean and smallish, and the owners, to our surprise, we living in the other side of the ranch house. So when we went out on the garden patio, they we looking directly at us thru their patio door! On top of that, I got a parking ticket for street cleaning because we had to share the driveway with them.

Yikes!!! I would HATE that! Thanks for the heads up!

I am planning on booking a house in Davenport for our October trip and it is 4 bedroom/2 bath with a private pool for $520/week including taxes and pool heat. I found quite a few in that price range in this area. I am assuming it is cheaper because of the drive time. We are "stay in the park all day" kind of people, so the drive isn't a big deal to me if we can save some $. I paid more than this for a tiny room at Pop for 5 days in March!

MArsha

torinsmom said:
I am planning on booking a house in Davenport for our October trip and it is 4 bedroom/2 bath with a private pool for $520/week including taxes and pool heat. I found quite a few in that price range in this area. I am assuming it is cheaper because of the drive time. We are "stay in the park all day" kind of people, so the drive isn't a big deal to me if we can save some $. I paid more than this for a tiny room at Pop for 5 days in March!

MArsha

Could be distance
Could be age of home
Could be the fact there arent some of the upgrades many villas have now - internet ,free unlimited calls , games room...maybe no spa

Lots of reasons for different prices of villas

Have a great holiday,
Lynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter