Rental Cars

smfritz03

Just when I thought Vacation Planning was figuring
I was reading the fine print on our rental agreement and it states a major credit card is required. We do not have any major cards--is a debit card ok? Or should we just suck it up and get a credit card? We have good credit-just dont want to fall into the "credit" trap or worry about it being stolen on vacation.

Thanks!

I am renting from Alamo in June. They accept Debit cards as long as you have a return flight ticket. Not sure why that matters. I guess then they know you are not going to stick around and not return their car?? You can always call. DO NOT GET A CREDIT CARD.........THEY ARE NO GOOD!

Alamo and Dollar accept Debit cards, but Dollar does a credit check beforehand.

They may put a temporary charge (about $1500) on your debit card. Happened to a friend of mine.

CONGRATS for the not having a credit card ... We're working towards that ... If we can't pay cash we're not buying it! (should have thought of that a few years ago!)

I know National won't let you rent a car without a regular credit card, but you can PAY for your trip on a debit card. You need to use the credit card incase you steal the car, I guess. The nice thing about paying for rental cars on most major credit cards is they often have insurance coverage if you use the card to pay for the rental. Having a major credit card is a good idea. If you use it occassionally, maybe $100 here and there, it really helps boost your credit rating. Just make sure you pay it off every month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!