Remembering 9/11/01

Flew safely from Newark yesterday and landed in Lisbon this morning. Thank God the skies were safe.

There is an employee that sits a couple of rows away who's brother was on Flight 11. She went to the NY memorial a couple of years ago and took an etching of her brothers name which is pinned in her cube. To say the least, it was very somber yesterday around here. Never forget.

I was on the NJ Turnpike heading in for a meeting in NY that morning at the Chrysler Building (near the WTC and almost as tall). The first plane hit and they closed the tunnel. Our group, in two cars, decided to bail out and head into Newark to re-group and figure out a new way to get into town. We were sitting in a shopping center parking lot trying to call the NY office (cell service was busy; we were trying to get through on a pay phone) and watching the first tower burn. As we were there, the second plane hit. At that moment, we decided to give up on the meeting. We high tailed it back to the NJ Turnpike as quickly as we could and turned south towards home. By the time we had cell service (40 minutes later, near Trenton), our co-workers and families were in a complete panic over our fate. Each year, the press coverage brings back the memory of watching the plane fly into the tower. On TV, it's horrible. But, in real life, it was actually worse than you can imagine.

My husband and I were in Disney world and due to fly home on 9/11. Since we could not fly home we rented a car and drove. We live in NC now but grew up on Long Island, NY. On our drive home we passed the smoke rising from the Pentagon and then the smoke and debris coming from the twin towers. It was such a sad sight to see. We were just in disbelief. To this day, whenever I look to the skyline and see the spot where the Twin Towers were, I can see the picture in my mind of how it looked that day driving home.
So sad how many people lost their lives that day and how many of the dedicated first responders have become so sick. I hope we never see another day like that again.

My husband and I lost several friends as well as neighbors that day.
I had just found out I was pregnant again and was crossing the street in Manhattan with my then 11 month old son to go vote in the primary election. My husband, who worked very close to the WTC called me when the first plane hit. As he started his walk home, he tried to avoid seeing avoid seeing people falling from the towers, but he could not drown out the sounds.

Never forget those who were murcered that day.
And pray for those who continue to suffer.
I have to say that our many trips to DVC have helped relieve the grief and horrors of that day.

I was in an executive meeting at work when someone came in and interrupted us. We did not have TV's there, but we found one and made a makeshift antennae out of foil and metal racking which we set up in the lunch room. It was a terrible picture, but enough to see the images. Most the the office gathered in the lunch room to watch for the rest of the day. I have friends in NYC, but thankfully none of them were in the path of attack. However, I will never, ever forget.

19 years! The same as our anniversary. We married in Disney World on 8/24/2001, and we had just returned home on 9/2. I had started a new job, and was standing in line at a Dunkin' Donuts watching the news when it happened. My dad always took that AA flight for his business trips, and he was scheduled to fly that day -- but lucky for me, his trip was postponed and he wasn't on that flight.

But I also remember thinking of how all my family and friends were on a plane together for my wedding - we flew down early separately to finish preparations - and imagining what would I would have done if they had all been on one of those flights.

My cousin is a firefighter in Boston who was sent out to NY to assist.

I'll never forget.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter