Remaining Balance at Resort

Well, OP hasn't been seen since her last post in this thread...so...I wonder what the resolution is going to be...

In the original message she said "We do have the money but it would take a few days to pull it from his finance account and put it into his debit." So I don't understand the concern and the questions. Transfer the money, make sure the account is settled, everyone moves on.

They should have initiated the transfer the second they went negative in their main account, and all would have been fine in a day or two. Methinks that OP asked about paying at a later date because they
A) couldn't afford the trip
B) could afford it but wanted to stretch out paying for it after using it, which is not OK as others have stated
C) are trying to stiff Disney
D) some or all of the above.

Hey, how does Disney keep people from stiffing them like this? I mean, what if you charge on your room then the card you put down has became overdrawn, over the limit, cancelled or such after you have put $1000 on your room?

Hey, how does Disney keep people from stiffing them like this? I mean, what if you charge on your room then the card you put down has became overdrawn, over the limit, cancelled or such after you have put $1000 on your room?

They send you to collections. The same thing any entity does that you stiff.

They send you to collections. The same thing any entity does that you stiff.
I have thought of asking this before, but completely forgot about it. I thought I read somewhere back a few years ago that there was some people who made off like bandits by doing this to Disney. I can't imagine.

I do not know if this is any help about what they do but when at AKL this past June I was putting all tips on my credit card with my magic band. I sort of wondered why I was being billed more on my card at the time but we checked out and I went home. Three weeks later I got a bill not from the collection agency but from Disney itself apologizing for messing up my credit charges. They even took $200 off the bill as an apology. I mailed in $1100 that was left. Sigh $1300 in tips.

We had something similar happen to us years ago. This was before online banking was widely available, and our card number had been stolen. So while we were on vacation someone was racking up fraudulent charges and our cards became inactive (unknown to us). We spoke with the resort manager about our situation and they did allow us to settle our bill after we returned home, but this may be the exception to the rule. It was not a pleasant situation as we had not only a bill to deal with but had to submit fraudulent charges claims and wait for more to arrive that had not yet posted.

This spring we also learned that we had an unpaid bill on our account from 2008, for ten years and dozens of trips this somehow went unnoticed! It was for a small amount, and who knows why we never received confirmation about it before. But it has been a nightmare to get cleared up as oddly no one could fully access the bill so that a payment could be made or cleared in the system. As a result we no longer have charging ability, which is fine, but frustrating to learn while at the parks when you placed a card on your account for charging purposes.

I can't believe that someone who relies on their debit card, didn't know that there were bills that were due to be withdrawn from their account. And, knowing that they were overdrawn, still kept charging to their room. I agree with the others, transfer the money pronto!

Last edited:
I wonder if they use Magical Express if they stop you right before you get on the bus. They probably take you to the nearest body of water and make you drink from it!! But seriously I would think if they provided the transportation they wouldn't let you leave, just like on a cruise ship?

So my fiance and I are at Pop Century and we leave on Saturday. We had a lot of unexpected expenses during the vacation that took out the money we had on our card. To make it a bit easier we put a lot of stuff on the room charge. However some bills came out during our time here and our card is currently in the negative. We only have the one card so we cant pay the room charges when we leave. Is there a way for us to pay the charges at a later date? We paid all the charges for the stay its just the things we charged to the magic band during our stay. We do have the money but it would take a few days to pull it from his finance account and put it into his debit.

They'll either charge you later or, if there's not enough credit, send you a bill. I was in a similar situation once.

Are there any purchases you have made that you can take back prior to leaving WDW? If you still have the receipt and haven't taken the tags off, I would recommend going back to the place of purchase and returning it. It may not be the whole solution but it will be a part.

I was at WDW 2 weeks ago and purchased a pair of Crocs. Later in that evening I made a bigger purchase so returned the shoes before even taking them out of the bag. Self control when it's easy to spend, spend, spend.

Well I had no idea that Disney could bill you after you get home. I always settle up before I leave. One time I had a gift card that I was getting like a $200 refund on and planned on using it to settle up our bill before we left. Well it took like 3-5 extra days for that gift card to be refunded so I had to put the rest on a credit card. But I finally got a refund on it and just placed it on our next trip.

They'll either charge you later or, if there's not enough credit, send you a bill. I was in a similar situation once.

This is correct. Last weekend, this happened to my friend. She and her sister had separate rooms, but linked reservations. For some reason, the resort charged her card for both of their room charges. When she went to check out, her card was declined because she was in the negative because of the mess up. She had no cash or additional credit card to pay with. The front desk told her that it wasn't a problem, that she could call Disney and pay once she got home. If they didn't receive payment within a week, then they'd send her an actual bill.

Wait...what???
Yep the only thing I used my Magic Band to charge was tips. We were a party of 8 so that mandatory 18% tip kicked in. What made me wonder was the fact that I checked out and they mentioned nothing. I get the bill from Disney in the mail.

I lost my wallet at Disney with all my credit cards in it. I cancelled my cards and had no way to pay at checkout. It was no big deal to call them when I got home and pay over the phone with my new card. I did get a bill in the mail, but I had already paid them by the time it arrived. I just talked to the cast member at the desk. She was very helpful and understanding.

I didn’t know then to make sure my husband’s credit cards were not linked to mine. Even though his card numbers were different, they didn’t work either!!

I did get my wallet back from Lost and Found with everything in it!!

I just had a stay at the Beach Club, and on the last night, I charged a meal on my Magic Band. For some reason, the Beach Club was not able to transfer it to my credit card (which had plenty of funds available.) We left the hotel without stopping at the front desk. On our travels home, I looked at my resort bill on the app, and it showed a balance (the meal). Questioning my kids, my 10 year old said that there was a message on the room phone, and she listened to it. "Something about come to the front desk about your credit card." She forgot to tell me (I was in the shower). A few days after I got home, I received a paper statement from Disney, and an envelope, and it asked me to pay the bill. I wrote and check and mailed it back.

I think you could go to the front desk, and work it out. Disney knows that if you don't pay, you'll be banned for life. And we all like to go back, don't we? And they like to let us come back.

Yep the only thing I used my Magic Band to charge was tips. We were a party of 8 so that mandatory 18% tip kicked in. What made me wonder was the fact that I checked out and they mentioned nothing. I get the bill from Disney in the mail.

Oh, okay. Party of 8...makes sense. I don't think I've probably ever spent more than $150 or so, so this number was a bit of a shock to me. I typically tip 20 percent but we're a party of 4 and only have maybe four sit-down meals per trip.

Oh, okay. Party of 8...makes sense. I don't think I've probably ever spent more than $150 or so, so this number was a bit of a shock to me. I typically tip 20 percent but we're a party of 4 and only have maybe four sit-down meals per trip.
10 Days a trip usually means 20 sit down meals maybe more if I can get them moving in the AM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter