Recommendations, please: a facial moisturizer that is worth the money

I'm 56 and have used Clinique Even Better products for several years and am very happy with how they work on my skin. I try to buy when they are having "bonus days" so I get some free stuff (that I invariably give to my 24 yo DD).

THis is going to sound ridiculous, but I use a good quality coconut oil on my face with excellent results. I use it on my face and lips every night. It seems to provide long lasting moisture. I almost never need chapstick anymore.

I also put it on under sunscreen. I would rather have it soak in than the chemicals in sunscreen. A $8 jar should last a really long time. Try it and see what you think. I buy it at a grocery store and also cook with it.

I do the same. Nothing has worked as well as an unrefined cold pressed coconut oil for me. I've use it religiously for over 5 years and love what it has done for my skin. Feels velvety. You only need a tiny bit and let it soak in. I also use it sparingly under my makeup to make it go on smoother. I keep a couple of TBSP of it in a 1oz container with my make-up. Refill from jar when low. It can feel greasy if you apply to much, but just wipe some off. Love the stuff!

I'm 48 with dry skin and use Nutrogena Hydro gel serum then L'Oreal Revitalift night time cream in the morning and evening. It seems to work ok but I'd pay more if I thought there was something that gave great results.

I do the same. Nothing has worked as well as an unrefined cold pressed coconut oil for me. I've use it religiously for over 5 years and love what it has done for my skin. Feels velvety. You only need a tiny bit and let it soak in. I also use it sparingly under my makeup to make it go on smoother. I keep a couple of TBSP of it in a 1oz container with my make-up. Refill from jar when low. It can feel greasy if you apply to much, but just wipe some off. Love the stuff!

For anyone wanting to try coconut oil, maybe try on a small area for awhile first. While coconut and mineral oil are both great products they are comodogenic and can cause bad breakouts for some people.

OP-you could try layering a Hyaluronic Acid with a more occlusive moisturizer and see if that helps. It often does wonders for dehydrated skin. If you have dry skin (it can be hard to tell the difference sometimes) a facial oil plus moisturizer will help.

Do you have a Sephora nearby? I highly recommend going in and getting some samples. You’ll end up paying more than $20, but you might find something you love.

I know Cerave cream (in the tub) is a cult favorite and really cheap too!

I have used Olay face cream for over 30 years and I'm very happy with the results now at 71. Like a pp I never use make up - not sure if it makes a difference. I could buy lots more expensive creams, but doubt the results would be any different.
I've always used Dove bars for facial cleansing.

For anyone wanting to try coconut oil, maybe try on a small area for awhile first. While coconut and mineral oil are both great products they are comodogenic and can cause bad breakouts for some people.

OP-you could try layering a Hyaluronic Acid with a more occlusive moisturizer and see if that helps. It often does wonders for dehydrated skin. If you have dry skin (it can be hard to tell the difference sometimes) a facial oil plus moisturizer will help.

Do you have a Sephora nearby? I highly recommend going in and getting some samples. You’ll end up paying more than $20, but you might find something you love.

I know Cerave cream (in the tub) is a cult favorite and really cheap too!

I've never had a problem with break outs or black heads using coconut oil. I have eczema and psoriasis so I've got to be careful with any product I use. Even my Dermatologist agrees that the coconut oil is working wonders for my skin. By using coconut oil, I've dramatically reduced the chemicals I'm putting on my skin. So I say to give it a try and see how it works for you. It's very gentle.

I also have really dry skin... plus super sensitive skin - so after trying many many products and then talking with my dermatologist, she gave me a list of a few products that might work for me.
So I use Neutrogena, Hydro boost products - I love the hydro boost water gel, there is also a cream which I have used and like, but for me the water gel works best. All of these product work great for me. I use the Neutrogena ultra gentle hydrating cleansers for my face and neck and chest area. These products have made a huge change in my life... Before I was constantly applying and reapplying moisturizer, and really nothing worked... So glad that I found these products..

I have used CereVe and liked it enough, so I'll second everyones recs for that . Right now I'm using Murad Perfecting Day Cream--it IS pricey (I find it on amazon for usually a little under Murad retail, like $40) but I find it's the best lotion for both controlling my very dry winter skin and not causing me to break out with (super fun) adult acne! A little bit goes really far, so I end up buying it about once per season. Worth it in the grand scheme of things for me, but ymmv of course.

Last edited:
I've finally settled on Shisheido Ibuki for my aging and dry skin. It is Not Cheap but it works, and I got tired of buying and throwing away other stuff. I do like the Pond's cold cream idea though so I will try that this winter!

I turned 50 and my skin changed dramatically..... it was oily and dry all at the same time with uncontrollable flakes etc. I couldn't wear my previous makeup etc. what a mess. I stopped using soap altogether. I use straight argan oil and a konjac sponge daily. No breakouts,and kept it mostly hydrated. But started having some chicken skin issues also in places(argh) so I added AmLactin lotion once a day...it's stinky but it seems to work. I also stopped using bare minerals face veil.... overnight it became impossible for me. I only use a covergirl cc tinted cream for makeup now. I also use a nice face mask once a week or so (I love the clay based ones) been using argan oil for over a year now(I get it at trader joes) I tried jojoba but that was too heavy for my face,and I also like coconut oil here and there but it's heavier than argan oil. AT Tj's the oil costs about $7 a bottle and lasts for a few months.

I love Dove products and used their face moisturizer for years. They changed it a few years ago and I wasn't crazy about the new one so I switched over to Neutrogena and I like it. I also sometimes use coconut oil.

Clinique Moisture Surge 72 hour moisturizer is one of my favorites. Neutrogena hydroboost is very similar, so I've been picking it up more often and ordering the Clinique less.

I LOVE Fresh products, their rose deep hydration moisturizer is awesome. I also like one of the Youth to the People creams I got as a deluxe sample one time, but I can't remember what it was :rotfl::rotfl: I guess I didn't love it enough to remember, lol, but I know I was always happy the morning after I would use it.

Wow, there are a lot of responses! I have sensitive skin and only use Cetaphil cleanser and lotion, fragrance free. The cleanser is great, and the lotion does the job. I live in cold weather climate with drying heat in the house, so this moisturizer gets a work out:)

I find the CeraVee PM lotion does a particularly good job under my eyes and on my aging neck for crepey skin.

Neutrogena HydroBoost is my favorite! I use the one with spf in the morning and the original in the tub at night. It's incredibly lightweight.

I use Burt's Bees sensitive line for daily moisturizer and night cream. They're both wonderful!

I have used Olay face cream for over 30 years and I'm very happy with the results now at 71. Like a pp I never use make up - not sure if it makes a difference. I could buy lots more expensive creams, but doubt the results would be any different.
I've always used Dove bars for facial cleansing.

My oldest sister is 71 and has been using Olay face cream since her 30's and she has incredible skin. After trying so many different moisturizers, I decided to try the Olay moisturizer myself about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I now use the Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 and at 51, I think my skin looks pretty good!

I have very dry skin and eczema in my face and body. I like Clinique Moisturizer (gel) like other have said but when my eczema flares up Cerave is the best to keep/control it!
Also make sure you are not using soap to wash your face!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter