Reasonably Priced London Hotels

Can I just add , I am also scared of heights and have managed the London eye.

It was booked for me I was in London on a hen/ batchelorette party. I was really worried and had planned to skip it out.

The pods are really way bigger than I expected and feel very stable. I sat on the big bench in the centre of the pod and just looked out towards the horizon rather than down. From the bench I was a good few metres away from the windows.

For comparison my first ride on Soarin I cried, I'm absolutely terrified on it and will never ride it again.And I can't walk round the Swiss tree house either.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not sure how it might affect me to try it. I can do Soarin'. I sat next to a gentleman who told me to close my eyes going over the mountain but the rest was fine.

I was playing with dates for this August on the Premier Inn site and the pricing is so good. I was expecting to pay double or triple. Is it because tourism is down or are their rates always this reasonable?

I was playing with dates for this August on the Premier Inn site and the pricing is so good. I was expecting to pay double or triple. Is it because tourism is down or are their rates always this reasonable?
The prices are always reasonable. They are not luxurious, just clean, basic and in good locations. The Leicester Square hotel rooms are tiny but right on Leicester Square.

Just wanted to add another vote for Premier Inn. We stayed at Premeir Inn Kings Cross back in 2019 (coming from Paris, so wanted a close walk with luggage) and it was perfect. The prices are fantastic and it has A/C. Which we were thrilled about after being in the heatwave in Europe for 2.5 weeks! hahaha.... Highly recommend.

I stayed in a Premier Inn with a high school trip - the one we stayed in was out in Croydon, so a train ride in, but it was clean and cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again as a budget option (since we go for a conference, our hotel is paid for - and we have been staying at the Park Plaza Westminster - which I suspect is NOT budget.)

I just need a clean, safe place to stay and rest my head after long days out exploring. Are there reasonably priced restaurants and takeaways all over London or do I need to budget a lot of money for food? I may plan 1 or 2 fancy meals but will tend to eat light during my trip.

I just need a clean, safe place to stay and rest my head after long days out exploring. Are there reasonably priced restaurants and takeaways all over London or do I need to budget a lot of money for food? I may plan 1 or 2 fancy meals but will tend to eat light during my trip.
There are restaurants to suit all pockets. If you are staying near the Southbank you can visit the stalls in Borough market. They have everything from take away style meals, fresh crab, oysters, cheese, artisan breads etc., also there is a Bills nearby which although a chain is decent quality. Near the West End there is Chinatown, with a decent selection. All the restaurants display menus and food hygiene ratings (5 being the highest). There are also some famous pie restaurants/cafes and chop houses. When you decide where you are staying, what you are visiting etc., I am sure that people will offer suggestions. Also, we tip only 10 to 12.5% at table service restaurants and not at all for drinks in pubs, takeaway food etc.
Just to give you an idea of prices.,
https://www.bills-website.co.uk/restaurants/clink-street/menushttps://boroughmarket.org.uk/traders/?trader-cat=dine-and-drink
https://www.manze.co.uk/about-us/https://simpsonstavern.co.uk/

Last edited:

The other thing I would suggest if you are going the Premier Inn route, is to decide what you want to see and be prepared to move hotels so that you avoid travelling to and fro. They have branches everywhere. And book the fully flexible rate initially, slightly more expensive but you can cancel up to 13.00 the day before. I would say the rooms are similar to the AS resorts, some slightly smaller. I don’t think that their restaurants are great, so I would avoid eating in.
Are you going to try ‘real’ traditional English food?

The other thing I would suggest if you are going the Premier Inn route, is to decide what you want to see and be prepared to move hotels so that you avoid travelling to and fro. They have branches everywhere. And book the fully flexible rate initially, slightly more expensive but you can cancel up to 13.00 the day before. I would say the rooms are similar to the AS resorts, some slightly smaller. I don’t think that their restaurants are great, so I would avoid eating in.
Are you going to try ‘real’ traditional English food?
I saw the flexible rate and agree that's a good way to go. I'm not sure about "real" English food. I've not even eaten at Rose and Crown or Yorkshire Fish and Chips. 😂😂😂

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not sure how it might affect me to try it. I can do Soarin'. I sat next to a gentleman who told me to close my eyes going over the mountain but the rest was fine.

I was expecting it to be like a big Ferris wheel which I hate and wouldn't go on. The carriage pods are huge and the movement is so slow and subtle. Maybe go have a look . Certainly don't rule it out straight away just because of fear of heights.

Enjoy your trip.

I was expecting it to be like a big Ferris wheel which I hate and wouldn't go on. The carriage pods are huge and the movement is so slow and subtle. Maybe go have a look . Certainly don't rule it out straight away just because of fear of heights.

Enjoy your trip.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm mostly afraid of open air situations. I can't do high balconies, walkways or viewing platforms and glass elevators. I'm not keen on going to high floors in a skyscraper. All stems from an incident in my childhood at the top of the Empire State Building. Someone gave me a push or nudge as I was on the observation deck looking over. 😢

I stayed in a Premier Inn with a high school trip - the one we stayed in was out in Croydon, so a train ride in, but it was clean and cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again as a budget option (since we go for a conference, our hotel is paid for - and we have been staying at the Park Plaza Westminster - which I suspect is NOT budget.)
Love the location at the Park Plaza

It is a GREAT location. We've had a room overlooking Big Ben, you really can't get better for a London hotel than that.
We had a 2 bedroom with terrace looking at Big Ben as well.Were there 2 weeks before Harry's wedding for a few days before heading to Scotland.More than likely stay there again on our next visit.

We had a 2 bedroom with terrace looking at Big Ben as well.Were there 2 weeks before Harry's wedding for a few days before heading to Scotland.More than likely stay there again on our next visit.

The room lights in that hotel are NUTS though. Three stays and we still can't figure out the "designed lighting."

The conference that was hosted in that hotel has moved hotels down to near Greenwich, so its going to be tube rides next time.

If you want a really nice relaxing hotel stay in England - that is again NOT CHEAP - I would recommend the Bath Gainsborough Spa.

What hotel chain would be considered a step up from Premier Inn and Travelodge? Looking for a slight increase in price and a few more amenities.

What hotel chain would be considered a step up from Premier Inn and Travelodge? Looking for a slight increase in price and a few more amenities.
The Holiday Inn and the Hilton. Not a chain, but a lovely hotel in a good location, One Aldwych. Happy searching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter